Sponsored

Jump starters: who’s got one and what’s good?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@txj2go

Regarding the Mopar Z Case Fuse Array:

IF you have the tow package you need to use 68368854AA Mopar Z Case Fuse Array, not the 68368853AA Mopar Z Case Fuse Array that JL/JT's that do not have the tow package use.
Sponsored

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
Not a crazy Hot deal but it seems a good steal for 30% off for $64.99 now if anyone looking for Audew Jumper from audew directly.

https://m.audew.com/Audew-20000mAh-Peak-2000A-Car-Jump-Starter-for-Any-Gas-Engine-or-Up-To-8-5L-Diesel-Engine-with-LCD-Power-Display-p-100058.html
I bought the Audew based on the review by ProjectFarm and it has been awesome. I have been able to jump start my son's Xterra many times since he doesn't seem to grasp how to turn headlights off!!

It would not jump my 2019 JLUR when the golf cart auxiliary battery died due to the electrical engineering excellence of the ESS system! I could bump start since I have a 6-speed manual, but even better was the video on this forum showing how easy it is to get to by taking off the passenger front fender. O'Reilly's had the battery and I swapped them out in under an hour. I will be going to the Genesis dual battery in the very near future to eliminate the weak link in the Jeep's stock battery situation. I did get 50,000 miles out of the auxiliary battery and it survived two southern Arizona summers, so I guess it gave good service for what it is. I always turn ESS off so that battery only has to start the Jeep once per trip cycle.

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
are readily available on the forum...
I might take exception to the "readily" part. I've read for hours and hours and you risk getting more confused by the noise before you come across the few tidbits of real information.

added:
does anybody own a Tacklife jump starter? After reading a lot of reviews that is one that seemed to keep coming up on top and I've considered buying one.
more...
I see that Amazon had a problem with business procedures of Tacklife and kicked them out. The tools seem to be good, hopefully that is from real reviews and not fake reviews. In the next few months I have to reconsider if there is another brand with good actual tests.

Last edited:

Steve JLUR

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GC Summit
I might take exception to the "readily" part. I've read for hours and hours and you risk getting more confused by the noise before you come across the few tidbits of real information.
Agreed. Any time I read “I think” in a technical post, it’s time to move on.

Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I've got the NOCO GB150, I haven't found anything yet I can't jump with it.
And here i was thinking the GB40 was enough…that 150 is a beast 👹

OutlawBeard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Gecko Ordered 5/4/21 Delivered 8/27/21
Yeah I only went this route because I got a deal on it and I wanted to be sure I could jump anything I came across. I would've gotten the GB500 if I could've gotten the same deal on it, lol

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I only went this route because I got a deal on it and I wanted to be sure I could jump anything I came across. I would've gotten the GB500 if I could've gotten the same deal on it, lol
Now you have me looking, go big or go home….. Like Tim The Toolman Taylor said more power…

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
As you know I just got the GB20 Sport. I just jumped my next door neighbors F-250. Did it right off jump.

Guess I'll give my little Boost a Shout out. Its rated for 4.0 L but it did his 6.2 L fine. :like: :like:

OutlawBeard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Gecko Ordered 5/4/21 Delivered 8/27/21
As you know I just got the GB20 Sport. I just jumped my next door neighbors F-250. Did it right off jump.

Guess I'll give my little Boost a Shout out. Its rated for 4.0 L but it did his 6.2 L fine. :like: :like:
Thats awesome! I've got diesel trucks and equipment and I didn't want to ever have to worry about it.

Sponsored

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
OK...so I've read though all the discussions, arguments, theories, and pontification about whether jump starters will actually work on a JL. However, all the posts are focused on 3.6L with ESS or other vehicle makes/models altogether. I have a 2-door Sport with 3.6L eTorque, and just curious if anyone has successfully used one of these jump starters on that battery configuration, and what products they used. The Audew and Noco seem to be excellent choices, but I'm still not 100% convinced either will work, based on the (widely) varying commentary in this thread. Prefer to hear about folks' actual experiences in the wild, and see what has worked and what hasn't. Thanks as always for the great feedback and recommendations!

kennjen

First Name
ken
Threads
Reaction score
Just over the NJ border in NY, near Nanuet
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU (coming soon)
~~ all the posts are focused on 3.6L with ESS or other vehicle makes/models altogether~~
I have the same type of concern. I estimated I've spent at least 2 to 3 hours over the course of last months reading these "Battery" threads. But, All these "Battery" threads seems to be for 3.6. Is most of the concepts applicable to the 2.0 I4 ?

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
I have the same type of concern. I estimated I've spent at least 2 to 3 hours over the course of last months reading these "Battery" threads. But, All these "Battery" threads seems to be for 3.6. Is most of the concepts applicable to the 2.0 I4 ?
Yes, I've spent waaaaay too much time on this jump starter issue, so I just bit the bullet and bought the Audew unit this week because it was on sale for $65 and free shipping. Hopefully I never have to use it, or if I do, I hope it at least works with 3.6L eTorque.

MrGneissGuy

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport
Yes, I've spent waaaaay too much time on this jump starter issue, so I just bit the bullet and bought the Audew unit this week because it was on sale for $65 and free shipping. Hopefully I never have to use it, or if I do, I hope it at least works with 3.6L eTorque.
I am NOT an expert, but I've also spent a lot of time reading through these threads as well as researching the eTorque. It appears that the issue with the jump starters not working has to do with the auxiliary 12V battery and how it's connected to the main battery, etc., etc., etc. If there are other issues with using jump starters on a JL, I haven't seen them in these threads. As I, and apparently you, have the eTorque, we do not have the 12V auxiliary battery. The main 12V battery provides the power for cold starts just like any other old fashioned vehicle (the 48V battery does the work during start/stop). As such, I cannot think of a reason why a jump starter will not work.

Again, I'm not an expert and that's just based on what I've read about the two issues (jump starters/ESS and eTorque) separately and piecing things together. But I keep a Noco in mine.

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I am NOT an expert, but I've also spent a lot of time reading through these threads as well as researching the eTorque. It appears that the issue with the jump starters not working has to do with the auxiliary 12V battery and how it's connected to the main battery, etc., etc., etc. If there are other issues with using jump starters on a JL, I haven't seen them in these threads. As I, and apparently you, have the eTorque, we do not have the 12V auxiliary battery. The main 12V battery provides the power for cold starts just like any other old fashioned vehicle (the 48V battery does the work during start/stop). As such, I cannot think of a reason why a jump starter will not work.

Again, I'm not an expert and that's just based on what I've read about the two issues (jump starters/ESS and eTorque) separately and piecing things together. But I keep a Noco in mine.
Just make sure you have jumper on correct post. Last year my daughters 2018 compass went dead.

I went to her Jeep and she has Start Stop and 2nd battery. It was in parking garage at Collin college. I was using my jumper cables and would not start. A Plano policeman drove up and he had a jumper box. Would not work. I really looked at battery and posts and second posts was set below main battery post on top of battery. Put his jumper box there and instant start. So the top post on main battery would not work. Strange set up but that is how hers is. Found out second battery was dead so dealership service manager replaced it free even out of warranty. One reason I take the time to get to know everyone at my dealership from top on down. It helps down the line. :like:

I just bought the NOCO 10 for maintenance for our Jeeps and the NOCO Boost Sport jumper just to have. Want have to deal with cables from auto to auto now.
Sponsored