Sponsored

Jump starters: who’s got one and what’s good?

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Right now I’ve got a set of 4 gauge jumper cables that I’ve had for a long time. However I’m considering getting a powered jump starter. What can you recommend that works great or to stay away from?
Sponsored

Jabarsetti

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ret. USAF
Vehicle Showcase
Following, as I heard the powered jump starters don't work with the JL!

maddscot

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon Wrangler Unlimited
Hmmm... I get the ESS battery is for starting (cold start / traffic light) but not sure why the main battery would not come into play on a modern vehicle if the ESS batt was discharged. That could leave you stranded at a stop light etc. There are a couple of threads on this but here is one... https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/drained-battery-any-jumpstart-tips.12316/

Also, I love the videos on YTube by Project Farm. He really goes into detail on what works, won't does not and comparisons of cheap vs expensive tools, lubes, and electrical items. Specific to portable jump systems >

When we get back to the office after all this, I will have to take my JLU into our techs at the Toyota Campus to have them take a look and give some feedback...

Jabarsetti

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ret. USAF
Vehicle Showcase
Hmmm... I get the ESS battery is for starting (cold start / traffic light) but not sure why the main battery would not come into play on a modern vehicle if the ESS batt was discharged. That could leave you stranded at a stop light etc. There are a couple of threads on this but here is one... https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/drained-battery-any-jumpstart-tips.12316/

Also, I love the videos on YTube by Project Farm. He really goes into detail on what works, won't does not and comparisons of cheap vs expensive tools, lubes, and electrical items. Specific to portable jump systems >

When we get back to the office after all this, I will have to take my JLU into our techs at the Toyota Campus to have them take a look and give some feedback...
Can't watch the video work blocks YouTube :swear:.When I first bought my jeep last year, followed that thread religiously in hopes something would be figured out. I am way to afraid to start modifying the electrical system as some have. I would love to be able to use the simplistic technological advanced means of a jumper pack. I don't run any Aux power equipment other than a winch and external air source. so I really don't have any need yet to spend $$$$ to install a true dual. However I do disperse camp in the Mt's of Colorado and start My jeep at 2 times a day in fear that something is/drained the battery(I know, I'm a bit paranoid).

Sponsored

gm920

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLUR Billet Silver
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Technician (Retired)
Right now I’ve got a set of 4 gauge jumper cables that I’ve had for a long time. However I’m considering getting a powered jump starter. What can you recommend that works great or to stay away from?
I got this one at COSTCO when they were in the store, for $74.99.

https://www.amazon.com/Professional-Power-Station-Starter-Compressor/dp/B016QR95GK

A good unit , has been used many times, not on the new jeep yet though. The compressor is useless, but the 12V & 110v outlets & USB port make it handy for so many things.

I still carry 2 sets of jumper cables, 1 in the jeep and 1 in the motor home. With the stupid ESS, the jump starter on one battery and jumper cables on the other should get you going easily.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I have the $99 Cobra jump pack XL H2O from Costco. It will start my JL when the batter is depleted so it won't crank, but I haven't used it on a completely dead battery. I have read that none of the little Lithium packs will start a completely dead battery. It is UL 2743 safety standard compliant. Still, these Lithium packs make me worry, especially since my dogs sometimes are left in the vehicle.

https://www.nbnnews.com.au/2019/04/...ck-believed-to-be-cause-of-canberra-car-fire/

Last edited:

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I have the NOCO GB70 that I use for work. It jumped 18 small cars off without a recharge and still was showing full charge when I decided to charge it. I really like it.

https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GB70-Ul...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=MTGNXDKD6MM0TTGF805A
I have this one too. Have not had to use it.

my understanding is that it will jump a 2020 JLUR 3.6L even with a shot aux battery ..... supposedly the 2018’s and some 2019’s With a shot aux battery were “not jumpable“ with a small pack ... you had to use cables. But, supposedly, something changed along the way and there are a number of success stories in an ESS battery jumping thread on this forum. Hopefully, when it’s my turn to need it, it will work!

Sponsored

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
My wife bought a couple of these capacitor jump starters a few months ago. They were on clearance. These things worked great both times that I've used them on other vehicles. But I haven't had to use it on the JL so I don't know if it will work on the Jeep.

Jeep Wrangler JL Jump starters: who’s got one and what’s good? 20200425_091730

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I think what jump starters may work with the JL may have changed since the release of the 2018. It's a theory. Here's why:

At least as it pertains to the 3.6L JL, back in 2018, if your Aux battery, which testing showed was voltage tested by the rig's computer in isolation prior to crank, failed to show adequate charge, then the rig would not crank; even though when adequate charge is detected in the Aux battery, both batteries are connected in parallel to power the cold crank. This threshold for the Aux battery was considerably below that necessary to engage ESS.

It is my understanding that this logic not only changed in more recent 3.6L JLs such that a dead Aux battery would not preclude a cold crank attempt, but that this change has become part of the 2018's when dealer flashed.

I think Jerry @Jebiruph is our resident expert on this.

This logic change may have also changed what jump starters work on the 3.6L.

Back in 2018, the owner's manual need to keep your charger on the main battery's terminals for a period of time before affecting the cold crank---again on a 3.6L--had more to do with the following I believe:

At rest, and pretty much at all times but for ESS events, and an instant during crank**, a 3.6L's batteries are connected in parallel. That jump starter you kept on the main battery for a while before attempting a crank was perhaps as much about charging the Aux battery sufficiently enough that the crank would be attempted as it was crank power itself--a task that was doable because of the parallel connection between the batteries while the 3.6L is at rest.

Such charging drains power packs, whose juice is needed of course to overcome the inertia of getting the starter going.

With the change to start logic no longer necessitating that the Aux battery have some threshold of adequate charge, I am wondering if not only more jump starters that didn't work on the 2018 would now work, but if the waiting period before attempting a crank is still necessary.

I welcome answers from those more in the know about this than me.

** I don't know if the Aux battery is still tested in isolation prior to crank. It seems though that if it is, regardless of voltage result, since the crank is now attempted regardless, that this check step may be unnecessary.

DrJoeSchmoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR and a 2015 JK
I have the NOCO GB70 that I use for work. It jumped 18 small cars off without a recharge and still was showing full charge when I decided to charge it. I really like it.

https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GB70-Ul...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=MTGNXDKD6MM0TTGF805A
Yep, I've had this ^ for a few years now. I've used it a few times to jump-start my JK and other vehicles. It's one of the items I always have with me. It's come in handy so many times and it's easy to store out of the way.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Yep, I've had this ^ for a few years now. I've used it a few times to jump-start my JK and other vehicles. It's one of the items I always have with me. It's come in handy so many times and it's easy to store out of the way.
Dollars to donuts, your power pack will not be able to do the job with any JL or JT, regardless of 2018, 2019, 2020. Sure with a single 12v battery, stock, JK, it will...

Power pack (even a top notch one) just doesn't have enough oomph, lets call it, to do the job.

I have friends that are Techs at dealerships and even they , long ago, gave up trying to jump start JL's with battery packs.

For pretty much a sure thing in regard to jumping starting a JL, just hook up the JL with the depleted battery(s) to a 12v donor vehicle, with quality (not el cheapo jumper cables)jumper cables and have the donor vehicle's engine running.

Now, leave the JL and donor hooked up to the running 12v donor, like that for 10-15 min., and then try to start/ start the JL.

More often then not, the JL will start with this method...

With battery power pack your chances are say 1 in 10 that the power pack will do the job.

Note: I'm not saying no one ever has been able to start a JL with a top notch battery pack but again, not all that often doing so is successful.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Dollars to donuts, your power pack will not be able to do the job with any JL or JT, regardless of 2018, 2019, 2020. Sure with a single 12v battery, stock, JK, it will...

Power pack (even a top notch one) just doesn't have enough oomph, lets call it, to do the job.

I have friends that are Techs at dealerships and even they , long ago, gave up trying to jump start JL's with battery packs.

For pretty much a sure thing in regard to jumping starting a JL, just hook up the JL with the depleted battery(s) to a 12v donor vehicle, with quality (not el cheapo jumper cables)jumper cables and have the donor vehicle's engine running.

Now, leave the JL and donor hooked up to the running 12v donor, like that for 10-15 min., and then try to start/ start the JL.

More often then not, the JL will start with this method...

With battery power pack your chances are say 1 in 10 that the power pack will do the job.

Note: I'm not saying no one ever has been able to start a JL with a top notch battery pack but again, not all that often doing so is successful.
I ask seeking knowledge. If the quoted power pack might start a JK, why not a JL? Are the main batteries in each model significantly different in energy requirements or the rig in its requirements of the main battery?

Of course this question is asked with the knowledge that recent 3.6L testing has shown that post 3.6L 2018JLs, and those 3.6L 2018s flashed recently will crank even if the Aux battery is dead, unlike what was the case in 2018. (I.e. It seems the crank procedure has changed since 2018.) Were this not the case then I completely get your point.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/3-6l-ess-bad-aux-battery-no-start-firmware-fix.53608/

Perhaps you feel this way because some of that power pack charge will flow to the Aux battery, depriving the main, when the 3.6L is at rest being charged, and the batteries are in parallel--even if that Aux battery having juice may no longer be a requirement to cold crank.

And if the Aux battery having some charge is no longer a requirement for cold crank, letting the jumping source sit with the rig off for a time before attempting a crank may not be necessary.

I just don't know.

Jerry @Jebiruph : thoughts here? You discovered these changes,
Sponsored

Last edited: