Sponsored

July price increase: $500 for JLU and $450 for JL

W5MQS

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Wrangler Rubicon JLU; 2020 Mercedes GLB 250; 2013 Red Ford F-150 4x4
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Interventional Cardiology
Yeah, but...some of us have spent our entire lives waiting for just the right time to buy a Wrangler (financial issues, living in a large city, having small kids, buying a house for those damned small kids, feeding those pain in the ass damned small kids) and finally gotten to the point where it's not between a plane (doosh) and a Wrangler but actually the culmination of a lifelong, if not dream, then really strong yearning, and because so many weekend warriors are buying them as "toys", the price of an already hard to justify super cool vehicle that makes you feel young again and like you can finally buy yourself something that may not be as practical as a diaper genie or in ground sprinklers or a new f'n roof for the house you've finally gotten ahead of, if that price keeps on creepin' up n' up, it may chap an ass or two (because $500-1500 means something to most Americans, and the Wrangler has always been accessible to the masses, even if they were too practical (or not practical enough) to see it).

And if I hear one more doosh talk about his Porsche or Ferrari or the plane he may or may not buy along with his JL I might leave this forum altogether and become a future Bronco guy, not because I don't want a Wrangler, but because the Wrangler is becoming less and less cool by the day, as every "I'd buy a Hummer if I could/I got tired of my MB GL" pinhead jumps on the wagon.

If people like this are driving the Wrangler market (and subsequently driving Wranglers), maybe that's just not a club I want to be a part of...:beer: (where's the f'n middle finger emoji when you need it?)
What makes you think that it's not a dream of mine too? And what makes you think that I am not currently or haven't already been in the same place you are and/or may be in currently? You are drawing ASSumptions on things you have no earthly idea about...you don't know who I am or anything about me...or any of the other people here in this forum...or what I've accomplished throughout my life! So to put things in perspective for you...I do have two girls...that I have fed and clothed AND put both thru college and into graduate school as well, and like YOU, I lived my entire life in a big city -- Houston, TX...in a house that I bought...until about 5 years ago...so don't lecture me about the hardships throughout life without getting to know me first, as I have experienced them as well. And by the way...I'm not a Millennial or a Gen X'er...I'm probably just as old as you, if not older...maybe you should try Baby Boomer since you're assigning/implying generational titles here. I just so happen to be at a point in my life where I can finally afford the luxury items that I did without while putting my family first and raising my girls. So...if you want to leave this forum because you are tired of hearing people talk about the Jeep being a luxury item or anything else they may own or listening to people just bitch about the increasing cost of the Jeep...stop acting like a Millennial and being so offended at what others say or don't let the door slap you in the ass on your way out......................bro.
Sponsored

Last edited:

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
Yeah, but...some of us have spent our entire lives waiting for just the right time to buy a Wrangler (financial issues, living in a large city, having small kids, buying a house for those damned small kids, feeding those pain in the ass damned small kids) and finally gotten to the point where it's not between a plane (doosh) and a Wrangler but actually the culmination of a lifelong, if not dream, then really strong yearning, and because so many weekend warriors are buying them as "toys", the price of an already hard to justify super cool vehicle that makes you feel young again and like you can finally buy yourself something that may not be as practical as a diaper genie or in ground sprinklers or a new f'n roof for the house you've finally gotten ahead of, if that price keeps on creepin' up n' up, it may chap an ass or two (because $500-1500 means something to most Americans, and the Wrangler has always been accessible to the masses, even if they were too practical (or not practical enough) to see it).

And if I hear one more doosh talk about his Porsche or Ferrari or the plane he may or may not buy along with his JL I might leave this forum altogether and become a future Bronco guy, not because I don't want a Wrangler, but because the Wrangler is becoming less and less cool by the day, as every "I'd buy a Hummer if I could/I got tired of my MB GL" pinhead jumps on the wagon.

If people like this are driving the Wrangler market (and subsequently driving Wranglers), maybe that's just not a club I want to be a part of...:beer: (where's the f'n middle finger emoji when you need it?)
Very well said.

The Wrangler isn't a third vehicle luxury to all, guys. Try to remember that. When you've watched a model increase $4,000+ in one calendar year, well, some of us are gonna take exception to that. Simple.

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
What makes you think that it's not a dream of mine too? And what makes you think that I am not currently or haven't already been in the same place you are and/or may be in currently? You are drawing ASSumptions on things you have no earthly idea about...you don't know who I am or anything about me...or any of the other people here in this forum...or what I've accomplished throughout my life! So to put things in perspective for you...I do have two girls...that I have fed and clothed AND put both thru college and into graduate school as well, and like YOU, I lived my entire life in a big city -- Houston, TX...in a house that I bought...until about 5 years ago...so don't lecture me about the hardships throughout life without getting to know me first, as I have experienced them as well. And by the way...I'm not a Millennial or a Gen X'er...I'm probably just as old as you, if not older...maybe you should try Baby Boomer since you're assigning/implying generational titles here. I just so happen to be at a point in my life where I can finally afford the luxury items that I did without while putting my family first and raising my girls. So...if you want to leave this forum because you are tired of hearing people talk about the Jeep being a luxury item or anything else they may own or listening to people just bitch about the increasing cost of the Jeep...stop acting like a Millennial and being so offended at what others say or don't let the door slap you in the ass on your way out......................bro.
Any dick who states it's the JL or an airplane is simply out of touch with the vast majority of the American public. If you can't see that, or if that fact butthurts you, then there's nothing I can do to clarify the situation. The fact is, for most of us, this is not a weekend toy, to take out at our leisure, or not, if the weather looks too poopy. It's a way to connect with the thousands of other Jeepers who know what this is about. Nothing you could every write could possible offend me, it is just indicative of the many people who have little to no appreciation of what it takes for most Americans to attain a vehicle that was once based on a car that was shipped home in a series of boxes from the European Theater.
Enjoy your weekend Wrangler, but be more sensitive when bragging about your great good fortune in buying and essentially storing an American Icon that many Americans are finding harder and harder to afford as their only means of conveyance. We're all very glad you've "made it," but your mom my have been wrong when she told you "If you have it, flaunt it". My only "idea of you" comes from your arrogant and out-of-touch post about the life of luxury that justifies FCA raising prices for the rest of us, much like the Hummer driver that thinks his gas-guzzler doesn't affect the price of gas for everyone else.
P.s.-may I suggest A&D, as it will soothe even the hurtiest of butts...

W5MQS

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Wrangler Rubicon JLU; 2020 Mercedes GLB 250; 2013 Red Ford F-150 4x4
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Any dick who states it's the JL or an airplane is simply out of touch with the vast majority of the American public. If you can't see that, or if that fact butthurts you, then there's nothing I can do to clarify the situation. The fact is, for most of us, this is not a weekend toy, to take out at our leisure, or not, if the weather looks too poopy. It's a way to connect with the thousands of other Jeepers who know what this is about. Nothing you could every write could possible offend me, it is just indicative of the many people who have little to no appreciation of what it takes for most Americans to attain a vehicle that was once based on a car that was shipped home in a series of boxes from the European Theater.
Enjoy your weekend Wrangler, but be more sensitive when bragging about your great good fortune in buying and essentially storing an American Icon that many Americans are finding harder and harder to afford as their only means of conveyance. We're all very glad you've "made it," but your mom my have been wrong when she told you "If you have it, flaunt it". My only "idea of you" comes from your arrogant and out-of-touch post about the life of luxury that justifies FCA raising prices for the rest of us, much like the Hummer driver that thinks his gas-guzzler doesn't affect the price of gas for everyone else.
P.s.-may I suggest A&D, as it will soothe even the hurtiest of butts...
Again...there you go making assumptions about me that you don't even know. And the derogatory name calling and the involvement of family...is it really necessary? It just goes to show your IQ level...but that's ok, I understand. This is my 3rd Wrangler with my first one being a 1988 YJ with the inline 6 that I bought in 1989 and then a JK and now the JL. So, I know what Jeeping is all about. Don't think I don't. I'm sorry you read a post that offended you. :( You just need to quit crying and being so sensitive. That's part of the problem with this country these days...everyone is so worried about offending someone else when something is said...no one is ever comfortable speaking their mind anymore. I for one am not concerned with that and will speak my mind whenever and wherever I please, regardless of who likes it or not. Get over it! You don't have to read it or listen to it. Maybe you should find a "safe place" away from all of this offensive talk so you're not so stressed out. :cwl: I presume that no one is holding a gun to your head forcing you to read these posts so if you don't like them, move on! And just an FYI...not that you care... but you can get a nice used plane for about the price of a new Sahara or a Rubicon...and sometimes even a Sport...just sayin'. With that said, I'm not going to dignify this conversation with anymore responses after this one because this is all just an exercise in futility so say what you will. I'm out. :) PS -- I never said that FCA was justified in raising prices...if you go back and look, I said it was all supply and demand.

cdrober

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR Ordered
I still think we are lucky in the US, even with the price increase on that. Lucky in the fact that these vehicles are still relatively affordable when comparing avg. household incomes with price. Right now I'm on a business trip in India, where the average income is less than in the US, and just to see I looked up the price of a wrangler here. They only list the price of a JK, but the starting price for a JKU is about $90,000 USD (for reference some economy cars here start at around the $8,000 USD mark). So when you compare to average salaries, far outside the realm of the majority of individuals (myself included if I had a similar position as I have now, just in India at local salary levels).

So yes, it is unfortunate and yes, this is being done to increase profits (not necessarily increases in costs, but could be a part of it), but all is not bad.

At least those of us with orders in prior to the increase can use the price protection to ensure we can get the price on the date that our order was confirmed with FCA/Jeep.

Sponsored

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport Mojito!, 3.6L & '18 Ninja 400 KRT
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I see your point but my point is there are probably many other vehicles of the 4x4 variety you could choose over a Wrangler. If there are no other vehicles available and the Jeep is the only one that can do the job then the price is not high enough, FCA should double it! lol
Got it! For me...there is no other 4x4 vehicle that I would trust to do what I'm looking for.

Jeep = the only 4x4 vehicle for me...all the others are Johnny-come-latelys in my opinion, and I'm not about that. It's been a proven brand since the 40's. I don't think another Brand out there currently can claim that (4x4 capability). Also, my dad had a 1983 CJ7...and I remember what it could do and what it was capable of; and I wouldn't even consider another 4x4 vehicle that isn't a Jeep.

Now for me, the Jeep I selected is very affordable. It won't put me in any binds because I manage my money and my life well. I am by no means wealthy by American standards, but I refuse to live above my means....and I'm not suggesting that anyone in this thread does. I'm saying that I can't really rationalize the Jeep, that I purchased, being labeled as a Luxury vehicle.

If I wanted a luxury 4x4, I would've bought a Jeep Grande Cherokee...and it could be that I'm missing your point. But it's all good...NO love lost, and NO ill will coming from my direction. :):like:

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
Who knows? It could...or it could keep going higher. Destination costs could also be tied to the price of diesel fuel for rail and big trucks that keeps going up right now too. I don't see anyone commenting on that...just sayin'. :movember: But the overall increase in the price of the vehicle itself is probably tied to the demand of the JL at the moment. But just like gasoline or tickets to a game or concert, the more in demand they are and the less of that product that is around, the higher that the price is going to be.

And to comment on @WXman comment...there are reasonable price increases and then there is gouging. It's obviously gouging to charge $15 for a $2 bag of ice after a hurricane but if the price goes up just $1 or $2, on a $2 bag of ice, is that gouging or is it maybe covering the supply and demand rates?
Destination started out as $1000, now its $1550. Nothing else has gone up 50% in price.

I could be wrong, but I think all told the JL is now about $3K out the door more expensive than it started out 8 months ago (MSRP + destination). For me that just means instead of getting something at a local dealership, I'll consider going out of state for a 6% off invoice deal or something and probably push it out another month or so.

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
All good here and you got my point, I think. lol It just gets old to hear the name calling on this forum or the who is a real Jeep person or that soccer moms don't deserve a Jeep. Now I find out if you own a Porsche, Ferrari or an airplane you are not worthy of Jeep ownership, this stuff just gets old after a while. It's all good, enjoy your Jeepin, I know I am.
Yeeee...just can't let it get to you. We're all different, and the experiences we have make us have different perspectives on things. That's the way of life.

No amount of any CHAT will make me feel that I'm not deserving or worthy of ANYTHING. It took me some years to boost my confidence to this level, but it's a continual life learning process...and people say things to make themselves feel better or to prove a point, because that's how they rationalize...and that's okay as well. But you just gotta know when to "dust it off". Comments are relative...you can agree with them or not and at the end of the day, they're just words, and don't have to affect you at all if you don't let them. :fist bump::sun:

W5MQS

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Destination started out as $1000, now its $1550. Nothing else has gone up 50% in price.

I could be wrong, but I think all told the JL is now about $3K out the door more expensive than it started out 8 months ago (MSRP + destination). For me that just means instead of getting something at a local dealership, I'll consider going out of state for a 6% off invoice deal or something and probably push it out another month or so.
While that may true however; when I was waiting on the delivery of my JLUR (ordered 1st week of April), it was stuck in a rail-yard in Ohio along with a few thousand other JL's because, and according to this forum and my dealership, FCA couldn't get enough rail cars and/or trucks to facilitate transport of all of them. So, again...it all becomes a supply and demand issue but now for rail cars so the price of transport goes up...and again, there is also the price of diesel to get it here as well. I don't know if there is still a rail car/truck availability issue or not but I can tell you that diesel fuel keeps going up around my neck of the woods so I would think that's playing into all of this. Look...this stuff happens and I don't appreciate it any more than the next guy. I think the first base price and destination charge increase happened the day after I ordered mine and my dealer said they would honor my original deal. It was just the luck of the draw. But the question you ultimately have to ask yourself is, "how bad do I want one?"

Sponsored

FrankieFJL

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
IT Professional
Vehicle Showcase
I bought a new Epiphone Thunderbird Pro bass for $599. It is a well made instrument and they were flying out the door at that price. Kind of a sleeper if you ask me. A week later the price jumped to $699. Maybe because of market factors, supply and demand, People discovering what a great value it was, I don't know. But I do know if people stop buying them Epiphone will need to rethink their pricing.

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
All good here and you got my point, I think. lol It just gets old to hear the name calling on this forum or the who is a real Jeep person or that soccer moms don't deserve a Jeep. Now I find out if you own a Porsche, Ferrari or an airplane you are not worthy of Jeep ownership, this stuff just gets old after a while. It's all good, enjoy your Jeepin, I know I am.
I was gonna let this go...but then tequila. My point, which you may have missed, was not the qualifications of a Wrangler owner (as it truly is an egalitarian vehicle). I was simply commenting on the complete detachment of those who passively/aggressively brag about their other vehicles/purchase options while telling others that price increases just aren't that big a deal. Own any car/plane/batmobile you want, but don't point out to those that are expressing their disappointment in FCA for their cash grab (yeah, yeah, I know, it's a business blah blah blah) that a Wrangler is simply a "luxury toy" to sit in the 5 bay heated garage until such a time as you get bored with everything else out there and decide to bring it out. For many, it is much more than that, and for many it is the culmination of years of planning, not a simple whim.

A Jeep is for everybody, not the chosen few. Everybody deserves a Jeep. That was my point. Rubbing people's noses in the fact that a $500 increase (on top of a $500 increase on top of the highest destination charges in the mainstream) means nothing to you (not that you did this: I'm using the editorial "you") because it's your 3rd/4th/5th vehicle is obnoxious. It's not in the spirit of egalitarianism, and in my humble but learned opinion, it's not in the spirit of Jeep ownership. And that will never get old. The name calling is just observing the a spade is, indeed, a spade.:rock:
I love the vast majority of the posters on this forum, and have learned incalculable amounts of JL-related info that will serve me well, should I decide to buy one. For that I am grateful. Just maybe more grateful than others.

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
I was gonna let this go...but then tequila. My point, which you may have missed, was not the qualifications of a Wrangler owner (as it truly is an egalitarian vehicle). I was simply commenting on the complete detachment of those who passively/aggressively brag about their other vehicles/purchase options while telling others that price increases just aren't that big a deal. Own any car/plane/batmobile you want, but don't point out to those that are expressing their disappointment in FCA for their cash grab (yeah, yeah, I know, it's a business blah blah blah) that a Wrangler is simply a "luxury toy" to sit in the 5 bay heated garage until such a time as you get bored with everything else out there and decide to bring it out. For many, it is much more than that, and for many it is the culmination of years of planning, not a simple whim.

A Jeep is for everybody, not the chosen few. Everybody deserves a Jeep. That was my point. Rubbing people's noses in the fact that a $500 increase (on top of a $500 increase on top of the highest destination charges in the mainstream) means nothing to you (not that you did this: I'm using the editorial "you") because it's your 3rd/4th/5th vehicle is obnoxious. It's not in the spirit of egalitarianism, and in my humble but learned opinion, it's not in the spirit of Jeep ownership. And that will never get old. The name calling is just observing the a spade is, indeed, a spade.:rock:
I love the vast majority of the posters on this forum, and have learned incalculable amounts of JL-related info that will serve me well, should I decide to buy one. For that I am grateful. Just maybe more grateful than others.
Good posting.

That additional $500 July increase feels like a bit of a kick to the nuts. The destination fee is now hilarious! After ordering, and after the March 1st price increase (after the MY2018 big price jump), I said "if there's one more price increase, I'm out". We'll see if I eat my own words.

Signed,
a non-six figure earning Jeep enthusiast.

Jrbrannan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue 2008 Highlander Hybrid (previously several CJ-7, YJ, TJ, JK)
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder if this is a ploy for Jeep to use when launching the 2019. Raise the price now and then when the 2019 comes out with a few small upgrades they say- look you get the 2019 with these upgrades for the same price-

In reality it is more likely they will say, oh it is 2019 we have to raise the price by another $1k because that is what we do every year.

It no doubt sucks for most people that the price continues to increase. The only people who really benefit are those who bought early at a huge discount and plan on selling it fairly quickly. The 2-3% increase in price combined with the 6% under invoice pricing I paid should mean that I can drive it for darn near free for 3 years and turn around and sell it for what I bought it for- assuming the resale value holds as strong as the 2012 and newer JKU's did.

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder if this is a ploy for Jeep to use when launching the 2019. Raise the price now and then when the 2019 comes out with a few small upgrades they say- look you get the 2019 with these upgrades for the same price-

In reality it is more likely they will say, oh it is 2019 we have to raise the price by another $1k because that is what we do every year.

It no doubt sucks for most people that the price continues to increase. The only people who really benefit are those who bought early at a huge discount and plan on selling it fairly quickly. The 2-3% increase in price combined with the 6% under invoice pricing I paid should mean that I can drive it for darn near free for 3 years and turn around and sell it for what I bought it for- assuming the resale value holds as strong as the 2012 and newer JKU's did.
Interesting....I hadn't really thought of this (buying and selling to turn a profit)!

Typically when I get something...I'm in it for the long haul...I'm what you'd call a "loyal customer". I can't even imagine selling Lil' Hulk when I'm finally able to bring him home. I hope to keep him as long or longer than my PT...hoping this Jeep will last me for another 20+ years. :giggle:
Sponsored