JTRD not JLUD Which badge of honor trails can I do stock on my way home from TN

jocww

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 Fj40 lq9 on 38s, 21 JTRD Gecko Green on 37s
The Wrangler forum def gets more views than than the Glad side. So heres my question/scenario
So I have more than a few weeks to plan my trip, but when I fly out to TN to pick up my JTRD from Gupton I want to do as many trails as I can on the way back to here in CA. I am planning on doing Rubicon on the way home. I use to live in Tahoe, but live in the bay area now. But I have done the trail enough times that I think I can do it stock with the go arounds. I was in Moab in Aug doing bike riding and hiking and saw some amazing trails by slick rock so I figure I would maybe try and hit that as well on the way back. But thats the farthest East that I have gone with 4 wheeling. So with that said. Does anybody know what I can straight off the show room floor. Since Im flying out I am not going to have any recovery equipment with me. I might pack a strap or 2 in my carry on. I am going to be on the stock 33 MTs. While I dont mind some scrapes on my skids or rock rails I DO NOT REALLY WANT TO HAVE ANY TRAIL DAMAGE to the paint or anything like that. If its to hairy I will just back it down, but I also dont want to spend hours going out of my way just to find out that I cant make it up the trail. I am planning on taking 4-7 days maybe a bit more for the trip home. But if theres some fantastic trails that I can hit on the way that would be awesome. I will probably be going up to Ohio/Michigan to drop off my dad and friend who lives out that way. I am trying to get some friends to drive out and meet up with me in UT and so we can have a train and drive back. In which case they will be slightly modified Tacoma and Silverado. Once I get to the Rubicon I can have alot of my friends meet me up there since many are just a few miles away.
Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Telluride/Ouray trails are all easy, that’s 5 badges and the furthest east I’ve gone. Ophir, black bear, and imogene we ran day 1, Poughkeepsie and engineer day 2. All 3 AZ trails are easy, but you’d be pretty far out of the way if the goal is to end up in Tahoe. Metal masher, steel bender, fins n things, hell’s revenge, and poison spider should all be doable stock for someone with rubicon trail experience. Top of the world has some fairly large ledges, but scraping should be limited to rock rails, skids, and rear bumper corners if you’re ok with that. Of course running all of these Moab trails you’d be looking at 4 days minimum.

OP
OP

jocww

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Telluride/Ouray trails are all easy, that’s 5 badges and the furthest east I’ve gone. Ophir, black bear, and imogene we ran day 1, Poughkeepsie and engineer day 2. All 3 AZ trails are easy, but you’d be pretty far out of the way if the goal is to end up in Tahoe. Metal masher, steel bender, fins n things, hell’s revenge, and poison spider should all be doable stock for someone with rubicon trail experience. Top of the world has some fairly large ledges, but scraping should be limited to rock rails, skids, and rear bumper corners if you’re ok with that. Of course running all of these Moab trails you’d be looking at 4 days minimum.
Wow thanks for the info. I just think it would be great to do Rubicon in my Rubicon with paper plates "on the way home from the dealer"

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Wow thanks for the info. I just think it would be great to do Rubicon in my Rubicon with paper plates "on the way home from the dealer"
It will be tough on 33’s with that much length, but it is doable.

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
It will be tough on 33’s with that much length, but it is doable.
Yeah I have watched a few videos of stock rubicons making the trail. The sliders and belly get pretty banged up.

Sponsored

OP
OP

jocww

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I dont mind the sliders getting used. I just dont want to be scratching up the body. I havent done it in 2 years. But my fj40 on 38s I can do it in 2wd so thats why Im selling it I built it to well and its just no fun. Getting the JT I figure it would more fun and challenging instead of just rolling up the rocks.

OP
OP

jocww

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok I came up with plan. So far... TN I will hit up Windrock park for #56, 26 and maybe 16. Then in Indiana I will hit Red Bird for #5 #3x? #3 #2?. From there I will head north to Michigan and do Holly Oaks, and South Marblehead. Heading East if my friends come I will do UT and those associated ones if not Im going to Glacier NP since I havent gone there and then head south through Idaho and then Reno to my parents place in Tahoe to do Rubicon and then home. The ?s are ones that I dont know if a stock JTRD can make. If anybody could clarify them more that would be awesome.

Will

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Just a heads up on Windrock: I wouldn’t do trial 16 in a stock gladiator without built rigs front and behind. A winch on your rig would be preferred.
56 and 26 are on the opposite ends of the park. You would hard pressed to run those two in the same day but those are definitely easier than 16. Windrock is massive. You truly can’t appreciate it until you’re there. We rolled off the end of trail 16 and drove over an hour on the gravel access road to get to the start of trail 56/Panther Rock Trail. I would recommend spending 2 days at Windrock if you want to hit all three BOH trails. Good luck wherever you end up wheeling. Sounds like a good time!

MSparks909

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 3.0
I think the Rubicon in a stock JT Rubicon is doable but you’re going to have a lot of scraping…and maybe some body damage

Sponsored

OP
OP

jocww

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just a heads up on Windrock: I wouldn’t do trial 16 in a stock gladiator without built rigs front and behind. A winch on your rig would be preferred.
56 and 26 are on the opposite ends of the park. You would hard pressed to run those two in the same day but those are definitely easier than 16. Windrock is massive. You truly can’t appreciate it until you’re there. We rolled off the end of trail 16 and drove over an hour on the gravel access road to get to the start of trail 56/Panther Rock Trail. I would recommend spending 2 days at Windrock if you want to hit all three BOH trails. Good luck wherever you end up wheeling. Sounds like a good time!
Out of those 2 which would you prefer to do? Which is more scenic? My dad will be on this part of the trip so I can assure you he doesnt want to be getting out and spotting me if he doesnt have to.

Will

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Trail 51/ Panther Rock is the most scenic. Most of it is back in the woods but then there’s an impressive rock outcropping (Panther Rock) that you can detour to halfway through the trail that is a great photo opp. It’s not so obvious how to get back there while you’re on the trail because the trail splits into a lot of offshoots and dances through a stand of trees, but when you purchase your trail pass, ask one of the employees at the general store if they can mark it on the map for you. I didn’t have an issue finding the offshoot trail that leads to Panther Rock while I was there but we passed a couple of Jeeps that mentioned that they couldn’t find it on the way out.

Also, just in case, save a pic of this business card. You don’t need it until you need it, but this gentleman does great work and got one of our club members back on the road and headed home last year after he sheared the track bar bracket off at the frame on his JK.

CCC35D4A-3512-4F1A-BC16-74D1C08A0068.jpeg

170023D9-1D16-4ED5-A60F-06FE898378AF.png

Aonar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Rubi and Snazzy 2021 JLURD
Ok I came up with plan. So far... TN I will hit up Windrock park for #56, 26 and maybe 16. Then in Indiana I will hit Red Bird for #5 #3x? #3 #2?. From there I will head north to Michigan and do Holly Oaks, and South Marblehead. Heading East if my friends come I will do UT and those associated ones if not Im going to Glacier NP since I havent gone there and then head south through Idaho and then Reno to my parents place in Tahoe to do Rubicon and then home. The ?s are ones that I dont know if a stock JTRD can make. If anybody could clarify them more that would be awesome.
Couple things: Was going to post this link but I bet you already found it or something similar: Jeep Badge of Honor Trails - Trails Offroad It lists them all or at least it is fairly updated.

As to HotSprings in AR, I second going there (as well as the CO trails mentioned. Did them this season too)! I just got back and those 3 are doable. There is camping on site, and bypasses if you do not have a winch. See a little bit at the following link in post# 16. There are about 7 shorts to view. I went in my stock 2021 JLURD. Unfortunately no "trail buddies" on this run so I was extremely careful. UPDATE post# 16 w/video link-Need to use vacation time-Do not like to wheel alone-Anyone want to meet at the HotSpringsOffRoadPark? | Page 2 | 2018+ Jeep Wrangler Forums (JL / JLU) - Rubicon, Sahara, Sport, 4xe, 392 - JLwranglerforums.com

Last edited:

Aonar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Rubi and Snazzy 2021 JLURD
THX for the info. Plan on going there next year.

Will

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
THX for the info. Plan on going there next year.
And just to clarify: Windrock’s three badge trails are 51(Panther Rock), 26 (easiest of the 3) and 16 (hardest of the 3, but by no means the hardest trail at Windrock.) I saw trail #56 mentioned above but that must have been a typo.
Sponsored