JT (Wrangler Truck) pushed to late 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee
Along the lines of what you are saying though, a delay in the diesel may be a very good reason to hold up the JT. If they want to improve that tow rating the diesel will be key.
Sponsored

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
If anything, I'd argue delays with the JT aren't simply engine this or management that. The JT has to be a completely a different vehicle than the JL. It can't just be a Wrangler with a bed slapped on the back. If it's going to be a true truck, it needs to have true truck capability and that means being able to tow and haul things, something the Wrangler has never been good at.

I always laughed at the goofiness of the JK8 conversion kit and the ridiculously expensive AEV Brute that gave you a nifty truck bed and that was all. You spend a ton of money turning your Wrangler into a truck that cannot tow or haul anything more than what a 4-door sedan could back in the '90s, regardless of what you do to the powertrain.
I agree and disagree.

The JT will have to be a truck for sure, but it only needs to compete with the Canyon, Colorado, and Tacoma. None of those are known for towing capacity, or even cargo space in the bed. I think a JK with the Brute conversion kit could easily hold its own against those, the only reason it doesnt is the cost. Simply adding a bed to the JK makes it 1,000x more useful. I have put sheets of plywood, 2x4s, and various landscaping materials in my JK without issue. The biggest problem for hauling stuff usually involves the current sports bar getting in the way, and having a open bed removes this issue.

There is no way FCA will make the JT compete with the RAM as it simply doesn't make business sense. I do think the diesel is a key motor however for the JT as Chevy already offers one and its pulling buyers from the Tacoma like crazy. Also it makes the truck much more capable for towing toys (RZRs, Snowmobiles, PWC) which is what owners of those pick up usually want.

Swanky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA Miata
The JT wont compete with the 1500 if anything it will be competing with the Canyon/colorado, Tacoma, Frontier, and new ranger.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Yeah, the JT isn't a full-size truck competitor, it's mid-size, and they're coming back with a vengeance. Toyota had it mostly to themselves for a while, but Chevy is looking to change that and so is Ford.

Cam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In between Wranglers right now
Yeah, the JT isn't a full-size truck competitor, it's mid-size, and they're coming back with a vengeance. Toyota had it mostly to themselves for a while, but Chevy is looking to change that and so is Ford.
Makes you think if there's gonna be a big enough midsize truck pie to divvy up between Toyota, Chevy, Nissan, Honda, GMC, Ford and Jeep come 2019 when the Ford Ranger and Jeep JT join the competition. There's going to at least 7 midsize trucks in a couple years time.

Sponsored

Joe Camel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Charger, Planning for JLU
Makes you think if there's gonna be a big enough midsize truck pie to divvy up between Toyota, Chevy, Nissan, Honda, GMC, Ford and Jeep come 2019 when the Ford Ranger and Jeep JT join the competition. There's going to at least 7 midsize trucks in a couple years time.
That's a BIG pie you're talking about. Ford alone sells 60,000-70,000 F-150s a MONTH! Here were last year's midsize truck sales:

F-150: over 700k
Tacoma: 191k
Colorado: 108k
Frontier: 86k
Ridgeline: 23k

So over a million midsize trucks were sold last year alone.

HeisenbergFX4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4XE 2021 Infinity QX80
I am currently in the same boat, still mostly asleep so had to make sure I was reading this correctly :)

Bill P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited
That's a BIG pie you're talking about. Ford alone sells 60,000-70,000 F-150s a MONTH! Here were last year's midsize truck sales:

F-150: over 700k
Tacoma: 191k
Colorado: 108k
Frontier: 86k
Ridgeline: 23k
Jeep is projecting 100k JT pickup sales a year. Not too crazy of a projection considering Toyota sold almost 200k Tacomas and over 100k Colorados were sold.

Sponsored

OP
OP

vgeh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3
@vgeh what does "S1" mean?
Sorry for late reply. Got busy at work.
S= Semester
Q= Quarter

I was at work when replying so had used industry abbreviation. Will make sure not to use abbreviations next time. :)

OP
OP

vgeh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3
Jeep is projecting 100k JT pickup sales a year. Not too crazy of a projection considering Toyota sold almost 200k Tacomas and over 100k Colorados were sold.
100K for JT is too aggressive considering the product and market timing. FCA is reconsidering this volume projection. I would say, the corrected volume projection will be somewhere around 60k. Just 3-5 weeks before I would know the corrected volume projection.

JTman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JT to come
100K for JT is too aggressive considering the product and market timing. FCA is reconsidering this volume projection. I would say, the corrected volume projection will be somewhere around 60k. Just 3-5 weeks before I would know the corrected volume projection.
Can you explain what "considering the product and market timing" means?

Hopefully doesn't mean that the JT won't really have the capabilities of its medium sized pickup competition. Does market timing mean that it's coming into a competitive market with new medium sized pickups on the way (i.e. Ford Ranger)?

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
This is a good thing, though. This much competition means more incentive to improve quality and longevity, offer better capability, and keep prices steady. The fact that Toyota has had the mid-size truck market to itself up until recently is why the Tacoma has remained comfortably overpriced. Same goes for the Wrangler.

A fully equipped Tacoma is NOT worth the $40k price tag any more than a fully equipped Wrangler is worth $45-$50k. So, bring on more mid-size trucks and bring on more off-road capable SUVs.

Hopefully doesn't mean that the JT won't really have the capabilities of its medium sized pickup competition. Does market timing mean that it's coming into a competitive market with new medium sized pickups on the way (i.e. Ford Ranger)?
Regardless of the capabilities of the JT, Jeep's bottom-of-the-barrel quality is going to be the biggest thing working against it as a newcomer to the segment. Say what you will about Toyota and GM, but their quality and longevity is phenomenally better than FCA.

JTman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JT to come
@vgeh so it's been 3-5 weeks. Any more info ? I assume you are involved somehow and have more than just the corrected volume projection. Is the JT really being delayed until late 2019 production?
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.