JT (Wrangler Truck) pushed to late 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

vgeh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3
Within FCA, the management approved JT truck and it is going to MY2020 and not MY2019.

The 3.6L Pentastar upgrade is scheduled to go production in S1 2019 and 3.0L diesel by end of the 2019. Will keep you guys updated.

Also see report at: http://www.detroitnews.com/story/bu...ew-jeep-wrangler-pickup-coming-late/98668708/

March 2, 2017

San Antonio, Texas — Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV plans to begin producing a Jeep Wrangler-based pickup truck in late 2019, the head of the Jeep brand said.

That truck does not have a name yet, but Jeep head Mike Manley and Fiat Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchionne are considering some historical Jeep names.

The last pickup sold by Jeep was the Comanche. It was produced from the 1985 through the 1992 model years, when the company discontinued it to focus on a Dodge Dakota pickup (the Dakota was discontinued in 2011). Before that, the Willys Jeep Truck was built from 1947 through 1965, followed by the Jeep Gladiator full-size pickup from 1962 to 1971 and the J-Series from 1971 to 1988.

All of the Jeep trucks were built in Toledo, which is where the Wrangler-based pickup will be built.

Jeep for years has teased the idea of a pickup. It has shown pickup concepts before, such as the Jeep J-12 produced for the annual Moab Easter Jeep Safari off-roading event in 2012, and a Jeep Gladiator based on the Jeep Wrangler platform that was shown at the 2005 Detroit auto show.

Cox Automotive executive analyst Rebecca Lindland said automakers need to evaluate bringing back nameplates on a case-by-case basis. The Comanche name could be especially problematic.

The issue they’re going to find with Comanche is, quite frankly, political correctness: Is it going to be seen as offensive,” she said. “The trick with bringing a nameplate back is understanding the current culture when you’re reintroducing this.”

Using Willys could also be difficult, as the name is seen “as the holy grail of Jeep,” said Lindland. She said Jeep might consider offering Willys as a trim line.

Many analysts had expected to see the Jeep Wrangler pickup begin production next year, which Jeep confirmed in January 2016 was coming. Analysts predict the likely midsize lifestyle-oriented pickup could sell about 40,000 to 45,000 annually.

LMC Automotive estimates a Wrangler pickup could have peak U.S. volume of up to 45,000 a year and likely will be priced higher than some competitors. Sales volume could be challenged by Ford Motor Co.’s midsize Ranger pickup that is expected to be reintroduced around the same time, the research firm said.

Manley said last week he expects the bulk of sales for the Wrangler pickup to be in North America and the Middle East. His comments came at an event in Texas to introduce the automotive press to the next-generation 2017 Jeep Compass.

Jeep will launch a new Wrangler SUV in the fourth quarter this year, Manley said. Fiat Chrysler is spending $700 million at its Toledo Assembly Complex to retool the north plant to produce the new Wrangler.

Manley said the Italian-American automaker is planning to maintain Wrangler production during the changeover to the next-generation SUV. The Wrangler is now produced in the Supplier Park part of the Toledo complex. Wrangler will shift to the north plant to give it more capacity, and Jeep will use the Supplier Park plant for the Wrangler truck, Manley said.

“The key thing for me is to make sure the new Wrangler is fully up and running,” Manley said of the timing for introducing a pickup.

Also in the works: Jeep plans to debut a new high-performance Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk at the New York International Auto Show in April. A facelift for the Cherokee is planned for next year.

Jeep production is being shifted at several facilities: Fiat Chrysler has stopped building the Jeep Cherokee in Toledo in order to move that SUV to Belvidere Assembly in Illinois. Production of the last-generation Compass and the discontinued Patriot ended in December in Belvidere. Manley said Cherokee production is expected to begin in the second quarter at Belvidere, where FCA is spending $350 million to retool.

In January, Fiat Chrysler said it would invest $1 billion to retool its Warren Truck Assembly Plant to build the all-new Jeep Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer and to retool in Toledo for the new Jeep pickup. The company said work for those projects was slated to be done by 2020 and would create more than 2,000 jobs.

Manley would not give a date on when work for the Wagoneers would start in Warren. He said it would be after the Ram 1500 pickup is shifted to the Sterling Heights Assembly Plant, where Fiat Chrysler is spending $1.48 billion for retooling on a new Ram due out in first quarter 2018.

“That pushes Grand Wagoneer probably until late ’19, or early ’20, which from a timing perspective I’m very very comfortable with, given all that we’ve got to achieve in the next two to three years,” Manley said.

The Grand Wagoneer had been planned to debut in 2018, per Fiat Chrysler’s five-year plan released in 2014.

Manley said the Grand Wagoneer could be sold in certain global regions such as the Middle East, China, Latin America and some Asian markets. Analysts expect the luxury Grand Wagoneer will compete with SUVs from brands such as Range Rover.

“They have customers, they have owners, that play in that space and that have the kind of income” for more expensive SUVs, Lindland said.

Manley said he expects Jeep this year to exceed its 2016 global sales of 1.4 million vehicles. U.S. sales, which rose 6.1 percent to 926,376 in 2016 will have a harder time topping 2016 figures because of plant changeovers, completing the launch of the new 2017 Jeep Compass, because it has stopped production of the old Compass and Patriot and as it has reduced fleet and rental sales, Manley said.

Jeep U.S. sales fell 6.9 percent in January compared to the same period a year ago; in February, they were down 14.7 percent for a drop of 11.1 percent through the first two months of 2017.

“All of those things combined will mean we’ll be down to flat this year in the U.S.,” he said.
Sponsored

Reactions: AWD

AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee
Thanks for the very sad info @vgeh lol. That sucks to hear. Can you tell us why it was delayed? Is it because of the diesel problems?

Rockcrawler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps and Bikes
I'm a little confused by this.

Isn't the upgraded 3.6L going in the JL which is due out late this year? Is the S1 2019 you mention just in regards to the JT?

If so is that when the JT is going into production?

OP
OP

vgeh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3
Thanks for the very sad info @vgeh lol. That sucks to hear. Can you tell us why it was delayed? Is it because of the diesel problems?
Usually the programs/models are submitted to management/Executive team for approval before the team can proceed further once they perform primarily design and costing. This process usually takes little early for most manufacturers but I have seen FCA is bad with making this final call. This could be because of many possible reasons(market not yet ready, potential risk factors, lack of resources, unmet expectations). Same thing happend to DT. FCA should step up their product development planning and process.

Diesel problem? Do you mean the VW scandal?

OP
OP

vgeh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3
I'm a little confused by this.

Isn't the upgraded 3.6L going in the JL which is due out late this year? Is the S1 2019 you mention just in regards to the JT?

If so is that when the JT is going into production?
This JT delay has nothing to do with the engine or JL. I was reporting for only JT.

Sponsored

JTman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JT to come
Oh man bummer! Only silver lining here is this hopefully means a more polished and issue free product. They'll have 2 years of JL/JLU production under their belt after all.

CorpCow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 Quad Cab

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
$100 says this is because of the FCA Diesel issue with the current Diesel in the the Ram/Grand Cherokee:

According to sources, the 3.0-liter diesel which is scheduled for the JT and JL Wrangler will be built starting in late 2019 which should coincide with the pickup truck’s debut.
Sounds like they are updating/redoing the current 3.0L diesel as a result of the this issue and it wont be ready till then. This would also suggest no JL/JLU diesel to MY 2020 either. The ONE positive is it shows the diesel is STILL planned.

This is s HUGE bummer for me personally as 2019 was already a long time for me to wait to replace my 2013 JKU. I'm not sure I'll be able to wait it out till 2020.

MDWG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
YJ, Dodge Journey, Toyota Corolla
yup won't be interested...I intend on buying by end of next calendar year so I'll just cross this off my list.

Wonder if this will impact the wagoneer comeback as well.

Sponsored

JTman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JT to come
Sounds like they are updating/redoing the current 3.0L diesel as a result of the this issue and it wont be ready till then. This would also suggest no JL/JLU diesel to MY 2020 either. The ONE positive is it shows the diesel is STILL planned.
We'll be able to tell if that's the case when we see if they do/don't pull the Ram 1500 and Grand Cherokee diesel models until MY2020 since that should be the same engine going into the JT/JL.

JCC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
yup won't be interested...I intend on buying by end of next calendar year so I'll just cross this off my list.

Wonder if this will impact the wagoneer comeback as well.
Same. I will need a vehicle by the end of 2018 (get back to the US in March '18) and this was going to be it. We can't get by as a 1 car household for two years, 9ish months was pushing it as it was. Not sure what my plan will be now. Ugh.

JCC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I have a new plan. Find one of these in decent condition and swap in a V8. I'm sure my wife will LOVE the idea of another project.
Jeep Wrangler JL JT (Wrangler Truck) pushed to late 2019 {filename}

Otto

First Name
Otto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sport (JK)
We'll be able to tell if that's the case when we see if they do/don't pull the Ram 1500 and Grand Cherokee diesel models until MY2020 since that should be the same engine going into the JT/JL.
Well if it's any indication, they've pulled the current 2017 Grand Cherokee ecodiesel from the website. Ram 1500 still has it available for one model.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
If anything, I'd argue delays with the JT aren't simply engine this or management that. The JT has to be a completely a different vehicle than the JL. It can't just be a Wrangler with a bed slapped on the back. If it's going to be a true truck, it needs to have true truck capability and that means being able to tow and haul things, something the Wrangler has never been good at.

I always laughed at the goofiness of the JK8 conversion kit and the ridiculously expensive AEV Brute that gave you a nifty truck bed and that was all. You spend a ton of money turning your Wrangler into a truck that cannot tow or haul anything more than what a 4-door sedan could back in the '90s, regardless of what you do to the powertrain.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.