Sponsored

JT Mojave upgrade info wanted

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I just returned from the JT forum :ontheloo:. I was looking for info about specific suspension/steering upgrades the Mojave model has gotten:headbang:. So I’m still wondering what they are and why the Wrangler Rubicon didn’t/doesn’t get these upgrades ? I know JLR’s and JLUR’s get wheeled as hard or harder. As a new JLR owner, I’m feeling a little :brokenhearted::crying:short changed. Wondering, should I feel this way:whatsgoingon: I don’t know without knowing what the Mojave really got. :computerrage: Sorry about all the emojis, just that kinda morning.:flag:
Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Does the Mojave have a higher ride height than the JT Rubicon? Jeep claims a 1" lift, but I'm not sure what this is 1" is compared to.

Here's what I see:

The new Gladiator Mojave flourishes in dry, unforgiving environments. We’ve reinforced the frame and axles, added cast iron steering knuckles and enhanced the suspension with a 1-inch front lift to create a high-speed desert racer that can master the stress of running fast in the sand while effortlessly maneuvering over uneven terrain

To help withstand punishment, the Gladiator Mojave has industry-exclusive FOX front hydraulic jounce bumpers. The upgraded FOX 2.5-inch internal bypass shocks with external reservoirs offer impressive performance across uneven topographical obstructions

Hit the Off-Road+ button when in 4HI and your Gladiator Mojave is ready for high-speed 4x4 sand driving. The Off-Road+ system automatically adjusts throttle, transmission, shift points and traction control for peak performance on higher speed passes.

OP
OP
sourdough

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I think it does, I just read...
"Mojave features a different spring rate than Rubicon, resulting in Mojave sitting 1-inch taller."
It gets me, why Mojave got...
"high-strength cast iron knuckles to better survive impacts at high speed and other rigors of desert prerunning."
"shocks are specially designed Fox 2.5-inch internal bypass units with remote reservoirs that mount behind the front bumper under a special silver skidplate."
"In lieu of the standard foam cell jounce bumpers found on the Rubicon, the front of the Mojave package features Fox hydraulic jounce bumpers. We asked specifically and yes, they are hydraulic bumps, not air bumps. The Fox hydraulic bump shafts are protected by a rubbery sleeve to prevent rock, sand, and chip damage."
"Out back, internal bypass Fox 2.5-inch shocks with external piggyback reservoirs pull damping duties and a reformulated foam jounce bumpers with increased impact handling characteristics compared with Rubicon's rear jounce bumpers the axle from crashing into the frame. As with all bypass shock designs, the internal bypass Fox 2.5-inch shocks allow for a smooth, comfortable ride in small-chatter, low-impact situations on- and off-road, while still being able to ramp up damping force to handle hard hits and landings. The external bypass cans allow increased fluid capacity and aid in shock cooling for fade-free performance in extreme conditions."
Lots of other goodies too, steel steering box and a bunch of suspension mount improvements.
Reading this whole Four Wheeler write up really chaps my hiney. https://www.fourwheeler.com/news/jeep-jt-gladiator-mojave-vs-gladiator-rubicon-whats-difference/
Seems to me FCA pissed all over the Wrangler Rubicon package. Why:whatsgoingon:

Last edited:

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
More: The Mojave front upper control arms feature an increase in strength for greater buckle resistance. The front lower control arm mounting areas on Mojave frame are also strengthened

The rear bumpstop cup on the frame is reinforced on Mojave, as are the transmission and engine mounts. Mojave and Rubicon use the same motor mount isolators and transmission mounts, but the metal on the crossmembers and frame to which they mount has been strengthened on Mojave. And the Mojave rear track bar has a larger outer diameter, larger bushings, and a higher strength tube than Rubicon. And finally, the shock towers themselves were reinforced and strengthened in Mojave

Mojave wheels feature a special 7.5mm-shallower backspacing that punches the wheelbase out 15mm wider than Rubicon. The -inch wider track provides needed clearance for the front shock package,

Sponsored

OP
OP
sourdough

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
...deep upper side bolsters to keep you planted during hard maneuvering, special "racing grips" embedded in the steering wheel, and your choice of Black or Steel Gray interior colors.
Stop, Your killing me!

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Mojave wheels feature a special 7.5mm-shallower backspacing that punches the wheelbase out 15mm wider than Rubicon. The -inch wider track provides needed clearance for the front shock package,
The math is off here. 15mm = 0.6"

JLUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara
There is a good Fast Lane Truck video on YouTube that gives good overview.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Overall I don't think it's "better" than a Rubicon, it's just different (Desert Rated... oooo). It's Jeep's version of a Ford Raptor.
  • doesn't get 4:1 transfer case
  • doesn't get front locker
  • doesn't get swaybar disconnect (or does it?)
  • doesn't get the sweet red dashboard, instead gets ugly orange A/C vent rings
  • stiffer springs, probably don't articulate as much
  • no boost option
  • obviously isn't available as Wrangler at this time, will probably never be offered in 2-door.
Sponsored