JT Hercules as the answer to competition

OP
OP

Beowulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
I’d be happy with the 5.7. Really anything that is just slightly more hp/trq than the 3.6.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Beowulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’d also love forced air since I often travel from 5000’ to 11000’ over the course of a trip

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
But, you’ll see neither in the JL. Maybe in the J whatever that comes next, but no one can say for sure.

00 Trans Ram

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
What Jeep needs in the Gladiator, more than a special performance edition, is a optional 5.7 Hemi across the line. Then, at least, someone could pull a decent travel or utility trailer without having to pay up for the diesel.

I would guess that if Jeep wanted to do a performance edition of the Gladiator, they would have put a 392 in one already. It would be super easy since the Wrangler version already exists. But it seems now that Jeep is all in on luxury and "tech" rather than performance or utility.

I feel like in some ways we're living the 70s all over again. Faux luxury was all the rage, even in Ford and Chevy blah cars. Luxury ages badly, let's hope Jeep doesn't get too far down that road.
You're paying for more than just "the diesel". It also gets an upgraded transmission that's able to handle the torque. And, you get the beefier axles from the Rubicon.

Gurk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 21 JL Hemi Sold: JL, JK, TJ, XJ
Occupation
IT Infrastructure Security
Our Wagoneer has a 5.7 Hemi, not a Hurricane inline 6 turbo.

That engine wasn’t out when she bought it, or I would have test driven one out of curiosity. I still would have passed on a first year brand new engine though. There are those who like to be guinea pigs, but I’m not one. I let others do the beta testing for me.
Our Wagoneer has a 5.7 Hemi, not a Hurricane inline 6 turbo.

That engine wasn’t out when she bought it, or I would have test driven one out of curiosity. I still would have passed on a first year brand new engine though. There are those who like to be guinea pigs, but I’m not one. I let others do the beta testing for me.
Thanks for bringing me up to speed. Enjoy the 5.7 !

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
You're paying for more than just "the diesel". It also gets an upgraded transmission that's able to handle the torque. And, you get the beefier axles from the Rubicon.
Okay, diesel and related equipment. You know what I meant. A diesel costs more to buy, to maintain and to operate. Great for some, not so great for others. Great for long, loaded trips. Bad for short distance and long periods of not being used.

For people like me a gasser is a better option, even in 3/4-1 ton trucks.

00 Trans Ram

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
Okay, diesel and related equipment. You know what I meant. A diesel costs more to buy, to maintain and to operate. Great for some, not so great for others. Great for long, loaded trips. Bad for short distance and long periods of not being used.

For people like me a gasser is a better option, even in 3/4-1 ton trucks.
You mean, more to buy, cheaper to maintain, and cheaper to operate, right?

Since diesel prices have come down now, they are actually cheaper than gas engines. Oil changes are ~$57. DEF is a rounding error as far as costs go. And no one has had one long enough to really know much about "long term" costs.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
No, If I meant that I would have said that. I never mentioned long term costs.

But, 8 qts diesel vs 5 qts gas, oil filter is 2-3x more expensive, fuel filters, DEF. I mean, when truly looking at costs all has to be considered.

Do the benefits outweigh the costs? It depends on how you use it. It's the same old argument that's gone round and round on truck forums for decades.

OP
OP

Beowulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Let’s not agree too much on diesel or petrol. I love both , but currently want a petrol engine that’s better than the 3.6. Looking at you hurricane or 392

Sponsored

00 Trans Ram

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
No, If I meant that I would have said that. I never mentioned long term costs.

But, 8 qts diesel vs 5 qts gas, oil filter is 2-3x more expensive, fuel filters, DEF. I mean, when truly looking at costs all has to be considered.

Do the benefits outweigh the costs? It depends on how you use it. It's the same old argument that's gone round and round on truck forums for decades.
And I meant what I said. My last oil change cost $56.75, INCLUDING oil filter. DEF is roughly 1/ of a penny per mile driven. So, $30 per year or so.

Both of those "additional" costs are easily made up with 26+mpg fuel savings - especially since diesel is now within 10% of gas in most places.

258_T18A

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubicon 392, 1979 CJ7
I’d love to hear from someone clued-in (read reliable source) what that Hurricane Single or Twin T, release timeline looks like.

Im also curious about efficiency/cost to run vs the Hemi for both single and twin platforms assuming your foot isn’t in it?

Could they have killed the hurricane altogether ?
What are you talking about?

The Grand Wagoneer and Wagoneer have it today. The Ram 1500 is confirmed to be getting it very soon.

They never committed to the Wrangler or Gladiator getting it.

If we're going to speculate, I say the Grand Cherokee will get it before either.
Sponsored