Sponsored

JT Hercules as the answer to competition

Beowulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Now that Ford has the Ranger Raptor, Chevy has the new ZR2 and soon new ZR2 Bison, and Toyota coming out with their new version, will jeep release the JT Hercules that was rumored long ago?

There is no way Jeep put the 392 hood on the Mojave for aesthetics only. That was a test of the body build out that would be needed to have a JT Raptor basicallyā€¦..the Hercules. Maybe if not the 392, the single turbo Hurricane

The only reason Jeep wouldnā€™t answer this new challenge to the market is if they donā€™t want to continue with the gladiator line.

It was weird how that Hercules rumor came out and they was dismissed as rumors and lies.......but was it really or was it a future model that was accidentally got curtain pulled back for a second.

This is just hopeful thinking, but I'm thinking that jeep will wait until Toyota releases all their stuff here soon and then do their annoncment of the updated interior refresh to match the wrangler and the "Hercules" performance upgrade. Basically and Mojavicon with 392/Hurricane and the XR package....including a full float rear.

Hhhhmmmmm......thoughts?

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/je...pickup-being-developed-to-battle-ford-raptor/

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...performance-jeep-gladiator-being-tested.8618/

https://www.cjponyparts.com/resources/jeep-gladiator-hercules
Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
They don't need to stuff a 6.4L under the hood to compete, just install the HO 3.0L TT in it which would open (more widely) the door for the rest of us to retro one into our current Jeeps...

...and dump the D44's for D50's or higher and lose the FAD including the housing.

Last edited:

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
What Jeep needs in the Gladiator, more than a special performance edition, is a optional 5.7 Hemi across the line. Then, at least, someone could pull a decent travel or utility trailer without having to pay up for the diesel.

I would guess that if Jeep wanted to do a performance edition of the Gladiator, they would have put a 392 in one already. It would be super easy since the Wrangler version already exists. But it seems now that Jeep is all in on luxury and "tech" rather than performance or utility.

I feel like in some ways we're living the 70s all over again. Faux luxury was all the rage, even in Ford and Chevy blah cars. Luxury ages badly, let's hope Jeep doesn't get too far down that road.

Sponsored

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
I only desire enough torque and horsepower to crawl adequately over rocks. I save the towing for an actual truck, and the go-fast stuff for muscle/sports cars.

Gurk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 21 JL Hemi Sold: JL, JK, TJ, XJ
Occupation
IT Infrastructure Security
Iā€™d love to hear from someone clued-in (read reliable source) what that Hurricane Single or Twin T, release timeline looks like.

Im also curious about efficiency/cost to run vs the Hemi for both single and twin platforms assuming your foot isnā€™t in it?

Could they have killed the hurricane altogether ?

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Iā€™d love to hear from someone clued-in (read reliable source) what that Hurricane Single or Twin T, release timeline looks like.

Im also curious about efficiency/cost to run vs the Hemi for both single and twin platforms assuming your foot isnā€™t in it?

Could they have killed the hurricane altogether ?
They have them in the Wagoneerā€™s, both TTs.

Gurk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
What Jeep needs in the Gladiator, more than a special performance edition, is a optional 5.7 Hemi across the line. Then, at least, someone could pull a decent travel or utility trailer without having to pay up for the diesel.

I would guess that if Jeep wanted to do a performance edition of the Gladiator, they would have put a 392 in one already. It would be super easy since the Wrangler version already exists. But it seems now that Jeep is all in on luxury and "tech" rather than performance or utility.

I feel like in some ways we're living the 70s all over again. Faux luxury was all the rage, even in Ford and Chevy blah cars. Luxury ages badly, let's hope Jeep doesn't get too far down that road.
They have them in the Wagoneerā€™s, both TTs.
Thanks for the update, guess Iā€™m behindā€¦but havenā€™t followed the wagoneer. They look kinda bloated and sit too low IMHO.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
We have a Wagoneer with a 5.7. Damn nice vehicle for what it is. Yeah, they sit low, but my wife will never drive on any challenging terrain.

I don't see the Hurricane ever making it into a JL, there would need to be too much changed to fit one in there. The engine bay is cramped enough. Imagine an engine almost twice as long as the V6 fitting in there, then having to account for space to fit a turbo or two and all the associated plumbing. Jeep would have to make too many modifications to the platform. Instead, everyone now gets a big screen in the dash, whether you want it or not.

Sponsored

axhoaxho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubicon 392 'waiter'
With the new 2024 Ford Ranger Raptor, I think Stellantis might feel a little more pressure to compete.

Gurk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
We have a Wagoneer with a 5.7. Damn nice vehicle for what it is. Yeah, they sit low, but my wife will never drive on any challenging terrain.

I don't see the Hurricane ever making it into a JL, there would need to be too much changed to fit one in there. The engine bay is cramped enough. Imagine an engine almost twice as long as the V6 fitting in there, then having to account for space to fit a turbo or two and all the associated plumbing. Jeep would have to make too many modifications to the platform. Instead, everyone now gets a big screen in the dash, whether you want it or not.

What are your thoughts on performance and MPGā€™s returned ?

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Our Wagoneer has a 5.7 Hemi, not a Hurricane inline 6 turbo.

That engine wasnā€™t out when she bought it, or I would have test driven one out of curiosity. I still would have passed on a first year brand new engine though. There are those who like to be guinea pigs, but Iā€™m not one. I let others do the beta testing for me.

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)

ā€˜Cause we all know big screen readouts enhance capabilityšŸ™„-oh the shameā€¦. The 5.7ā€™d be easy to do since the components already exist for dropping a V8 under a Jeep hood- I agree the 392 would be a beast, but the regular 5.7 would make a better truck engine for most folks.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
ā€˜Cause we all know big screen readouts enhance capabilityšŸ™„-oh the shameā€¦. The 5.7ā€™d be easy to do since the components already exist for dropping a V8 under a Jeep hood- I agree the 392 would be a beast, but the regular 5.7 would make a better truck engine for most folks.
I really just checked the Jeep build site, but it looks like the Hurricane SO is setup as the 5.7L equivalent option on the Wagoneer and the HO is the 6.4L equivalent on the Grand.
Sponsored