Joined the 2018 Cracked Windshield Club

Nicolas916

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
3 months old...got rocked this morning on the freeway. Super pissed !

F6FF4337-D1DA-4701-8B24-3966A1FF5C6B.jpeg
Sponsored

Rebacon

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon JL
If your in Colorado these guys did my windshield for $330. They also had the mopar version for $50 more.

7DC00CF3-898F-487F-A0E3-185D9DB806AC.png

EE745FB2-7ED3-4786-9AE7-CD751BE5A169.jpeg

winorthwoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee - 2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ
The windshield on our brand new (less than 500 miles) JLU simply cracked while idling in the driveway warming up. The crack is directly above the defroster vents and is already spreading. This is completely unacceptable. We live in northern Wisconsin so we will continually have this issue unless a fix is implemented. I am also NOT going to pay for a new windshield. Based on 1000+ posts I've found on the internet reporting the exact same problem, this is clearly a design and/or material issue that Jeep needs to take responsibility for. I've been a Jeep owner for over 30 years - and currently have three - so needless to say this is quite disappointing.

2018 JLU Windshield Crack.jpg

Last edited:

Weird Wint

First Name
Wint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sport S 2-Door
I put on the avs hood deflector on my jl sport because the day I bought it and drove it home some rock really hit the top of the windshield hard. luckily it didn't crack. but since then I haven't had anything hit the windshield. I didn't think that little piece of plastic would help that much but it seems like it is.

Sponsored

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
The windshield on our brand new (less than 500 miles) JLU simply cracked while idling in the driveway warming up. The crack is directly above the defroster vents and is already spreading.
Judging from the snow, it was probably pretty cold outside. Did you go to full defrost (maybe with remote start) when this happened? The JL's warm up really fast (especially the 2.0) and the heater/defroster can go from cold in a short time. Could be thermal shock since it was directly above the defrost vent. When I've been in the cold (20's) I warm up the inside before going to defrost.

Don't know if that's what happened to you, but it's enough of a problem (on many cars) that there's more than a few articles about it.

winorthwoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee - 2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Judging from the snow, it was probably pretty cold outside. Did you go to full defrost (maybe with remote start) when this happened? The JL's warm up really fast (especially the 2.0) and the heater/defroster can go from cold in a short time. Could be thermal shock since it was directly above the defrost vent. When I've been in the cold (20's) I warm up the inside before going to defrost.

Don't know if that's what happened to you, but it's enough of a problem (on many cars) that there's more than a few articles about it.
Hi Eric,

Thanks for the response. Yes - it was a chilly morning and I did use the remote start, but did not have the defroster on full power. That said, this still shouldn't happen. In researching the issues there are literally hundreds of posts from other folks experiencing the thermal related crack issues. I've seen a few comments about Gorilla Glass, but apparently this isn't yet available for the 2018 JLUs. My dealership finally got back to me about an hour ago so they're deciding how we're going to proceed. In their defense, the dealership shouldn't have to continually change out cracked windshields either, but from everything I've read this is clearly going to keep happening until a better quality glass is made available. This issue falls squarely on Jeep corporate's shoulders.

Good luck to one and all dealing with this. I would like to suggest that others keep posting on this issue so we can ensure Jeep gets the message and does the right thing.

(0)|||||(0)

~Drew
Wisconsin Northwoods

Mvp8500

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
The windshield on our brand new (less than 500 miles) JLU simply cracked while idling in the driveway warming up. The crack is directly above the defroster vents and is already spreading. This is completely unacceptable. We live in northern Wisconsin so we will continually have this issue unless a fix is implemented. I am also NOT going to pay for a new windshield. Based on 1000+ posts I've found on the internet reporting the exact same problem, this is clearly a design and/or material issue that Jeep needs to take responsibility for. I've been a Jeep owner for over 30 years - and currently have three - so needless to say this is quite disappointing.

Same thing here. The crack appeared right before our eyes.

chettacheez

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR

That is exactly where my crack was and I believe it is a manufacturing defect. That spot is exactly where the glue seam is and it had a dime sized air pocket that water got into and froze. First time turning the defrost on it cracked. You can see the seam in @Rebacon picture posted above.

cstedman

First Name
Chet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JL
So nothing hit the windshield, it just cracked?
That is what happened to me yesterday. I heard a weird pop (absolutley nothing hit the windshield) and then a second pop and viola, 8in crack starting where the gasket meets in the middle of the windshield. I did have the defroster on as well.

Last edited:

Sponsored

cstedman

First Name
Chet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JL

Have you found a resolution with FCA on this?

cstedman

First Name
Chet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JL
That is exactly where my crack was and I believe it is a manufacturing defect. That spot is exactly where the glue seam is and it had a dime sized air pocket that water got into and froze. First time turning the defrost on it cracked. You can see the seam in @Rebacon picture posted above.
Our cracks are almost identical. Just got back from the dealer. They took some pics and feel this will fall under a warranty claim, even though I am at roughly 17k miles / 1.5 years. They told me to check back on the status in a few days if I don't hear from them first. I printed out posts and pics from this thread and another one in case they needed it. This was a very quick visit so I am wondering if this "defrost cracking the windshield issue" is becoming a thing.

cstedman

First Name
Chet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JL
Our cracks are almost identical. Just got back from the dealer. They took some pics and feel this will fall under a warranty claim, even though I am at roughly 17k miles / 1.5 years. They told me to check back on the status in a few days if I don't hear from them first. I printed out posts and pics from this thread and another one in case they needed it. This was a very quick visit so I am wondering if this "defrost cracking the windshield issue" is becoming a thing.
Dealer called back last night. The service rep "misspoke and was new to the job (1 week)". I am out of warranty for glass and will have to pay out of pocket or through insurance.

20191217_120027[1].jpg

#4Jeep 1st Wrangler

First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Z
Sponsored