Blu bi Kong

Blu bi Kong

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Hopefully I'll have the JL I recently ordered done with some of the modifications I have planned, then I'd love to join you. I've been through a lot of those sections, and I'd love to take my family out there. I forgot most all of the points of interest (except I do remember the megaphone), but there's lots of neat stuff to see.

If you want to avoid the water crossing, you can get off at Razor road, and come back on the east side of the mountain to the railroad bridge and the cliffs
Hopefully I'll have the JL I recently ordered done with some of the modifications I have planned, then I'd love to join you. I've been through a lot of those sections, and I'd love to take my family out there. I forgot most all of the points of interest (except I do remember the megaphone), but there's lots of neat stuff to see.

If you want to avoid the water crossing, you can get off at Razor road, and come back on the east side of the mountain to the railroad bridge and the cliffside tunnels, then go east along the tracks or so. Or go up and play in the dunes?
Keep the faith! And prepare for the Afton water crossing!
Sponsored

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

can wait for the afton crossing! every video i have seen or looked up thats the part i laugh and smile at thinking about the up and coming trip!

OP
OP
Blu bi Kong

Blu bi Kong

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
can wait for the afton crossing! every video i have seen or looked up thats the part i laugh and smile at thinking about the up and coming trip!
I took my stock Rubicon thru the crossing 3 weeks after I drove it off the lot. There was enough water that seeped in thru the door seals that when I returned home I took the carpet out for a couple weeks and got it dry all the way thru. Even in present 'Blu bi kong' form I am going to take carpet out prior to trip. I mean it takes less than 10 minutes to unsnap the carpet.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Clubs

only thing i worry about is the reatr axle greather and the transfer case breather. but i found out on the forum that they are a one way pressure relief valve. calmed the nerves a bit.

OP
OP
Blu bi Kong

Blu bi Kong

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
only thing i worry about is the reatr axle greather and the transfer case breather. but i found out on the forum that they are a one way pressure relief valve. calmed the nerves a bit.
I checked fluids upon return as a general rule. All good!

Sponsored

2Wheel-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD, 1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1975 Datsun 620
Every time I think of that river crossing I remember going through there with a friend on our bikes. The water level wasn't as high as it's been lately, but it was enough to be a problem for my friend. Apparently, he was riding his relatively-new-to-him XR650R with his toes a little to high. The water essentially forced his feet up, and he flailed before laying the bike over. He pulled the bike up and out and we were able to pull the plug and get it running (it's a Honda, of course). Good laughs. .

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Sounds like fun. Unfortunately, I have a hunting trip right at that time to Idaho.

I've ridden the Mojave trail from Newberry Springs to Laughlin a couple times on horseback. There's no difficult section of that trail unless you decide to seek them out off in the hills. I've driven most of it in my trucks and hung out between Afton Canyon and Baker for a good 15 years, since a friend had a cabin in the area along the trail.

Be nice to properties along the way. If it ain't yours, it belongs to someone else. Leave what ain't yours alone. Desert properties aren't your personal antique shop. Don't put bullet holes in stuff along your route. Pack it in, pack it out. Enjoy the desert.

Oh, and take time to head down south of the trail just south of Crucero halfway to Broadwell dry lake. You'll see a 10ft long rifle scope looking steel sculpture on the hillside.
It's GPS coordinates are: latitude 35.0054 deg, longitude -116.1964 deg.

4350210_orig.jpg

Last edited:

Cdnjeep

First Name
Wil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon
Hello, new to the forum as I recently just bought a Jeep.. can a new member like myself join?

Thx
Wil

OP
OP
Blu bi Kong

Blu bi Kong

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Definitely! The only part I would be concerned about is the Afton water crossing. Even that part can be bypassed tho and meet up above it if it seems daunting. What Jeep are you rolling in? Mine has done the whole trip as a stock Rubicon. Water crossing and all.
Vic

Cdnjeep

First Name
Wil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon
I'm on a lifted 2019 Jeep Rubicon Pumpkin Orange.. Complete newbie with off roading thought... I did my 1st trail up in Santa Clarita a few days ago.. shit is scary and addicting at the same time.

nc_oc=AQkzwt8nQuXKrkjo0jz_wq4Vr3UW7GD2W4pDUGV0G0O5ByXTokYphpnnYU1gTrrsdOk&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-2.jpg

nc_oc=AQnw4rar7fH-AckCIlNaM9A0gtnGpGM-Y42Rl5WuwdJLDA_vJPKYK31w9RaD2BVnClY&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-2.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
Blu bi Kong

Blu bi Kong

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
I'm on a lifted 2019 Jeep Rubicon Pumpkin Orange.. Complete newbie with off roading thought... I did my 1st trail up in Santa Clarita a few days ago.. shit is scary and addicting at the same time.

nc_oc=AQkzwt8nQuXKrkjo0jz_wq4Vr3UW7GD2W4pDUGV0G0O5ByXTokYphpnnYU1gTrrsdOk&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-2.jpg

nc_oc=AQnw4rar7fH-AckCIlNaM9A0gtnGpGM-Y42Rl5WuwdJLDA_vJPKYK31w9RaD2BVnClY&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-2.jpg
Perfect. Btw I go out to santa clarita often. I was raised there in first Jeep 42 years ago

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Clubs

Beautiful Punk N jeep @Cdnjeep. hope you make this trip. cant wait!

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL

Your Wrangler is crazy capable of doing the Mojave Road, BTDT. Concentrate on your overlanding equipment if you are not day tripping and boondocking overnight. Keep this equip. simple and light to start and refine as you develop what your needs/wants are. I very much like Blu bi Kong's overlanding gear and you have room for what he has. If I finish my build in time I may join you and Vic again. Cheer!

Last edited:

Cdnjeep

First Name
Wil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon
I’m going to book off my time at work tomorrow. It should be easy enough. It’s only 4 days.

rawgeezy33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JEEP JL UNLIMITED
This looks like a lot of fun. I’m new to the game and was wondering if a stock JLU sport with 33” tires will be capable of making this trek? Please advise
Sponsored