John Bull trip report 5/27/23

Wheelin Matt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Xtreme Recon
Met at the east end of Holcomb valley road at 830am on Saturday and it was pretty quiet…. REDCOMETJLUXR and our friends in a 2dr Bronco Wildtrak aired down and got to the start of John Bull (including little John Bull) at 9am and had it mostly to ourselves until the end. We drove little John Bull quickly and then got to the famous gatekeeper…. and holy shit it looks intimidating.
Angel went first and easily made it to the crux, and the 35’s just weren’t quite enough clearance to keep from the belly pan hanging up or the differential. With a few tries and a couple rocks stacked he made it thru, and then up the steep climb with large rock on passenger side. With a little tire spin until they grabbed the rock and he climbed up and thru and then up the rest of the first hill of obstacles!
Then the Bronco gave it a go and in the same spot as above they kept getting hung up and stuck on the belly pan. Pulled out his winch and tugged forward a few inches and that’s all he needed to make it up the rest of the way with some finesse.
Then it was my turn and it was pretty easy crawl, thanks to the extra clearance of 37’s and lift!
Rest of the trail was an absolute pleasure, fun and slow going but nothing hard like the Gatekeeper. Here’s a little highlight video my son took with drones and his Sony and iphone. REDCOMETJLUXR added a few shots in the video also!!
Enjoy and let me know if you like it!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

Great video! Got me excited to get back up there and hit John Bull! Can’t wait for my diff skids to come in hopefully next week some time!

SadRobot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2dr Sport
Great video! Got me excited to get back up there and hit John Bull! Can’t wait for my diff skids to come in hopefully next week some time!
John Bull had me thinking I might go up to 37s. I haven't decided yet but I still have a month to figure it out before we head out there again.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

John Bull had me thinking I might go up to 37s. I haven't decided yet but I still have a month to figure it out before we head out there again.
35’s should get you through without issue with good spotting sure your gonna bump and scrap but even the 4door
Unlimited made it with 35’s

OP
OP
Wheelin Matt

Wheelin Matt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Xtreme Recon
Angel and Bill & Dalia made it with 35’s, you’ll be fine! We did an afternoon run of Holcomb creek on Tuesday and one of the Jeeps had electrical breakdown and it ended up being a very late night. Holcombs middle rock garden gave us all more trouble. I got turtled and I’m on 3.5” lift and 37’s……. Those rocks move around a lot, we were winching off boulders and the winch moved some around the trail 🤷🏽‍♂️
Sponsored