Sponsored

JLWF will report 2018 Wrangler JL reveal live from LA! What do you want to see?

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase

Leconst17

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
If you can post a picture or find out what the difference is between the Regular Rubicon bumpers vs Steel optional bumpers that would be appreciated

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
If you can post a picture or find out what the difference is between the Regular Rubicon bumpers vs Steel optional bumpers that would be appreciated
Well, for one thing, the steel front bumper has removable end caps, making it a stubby bumper and offering improved approach angle, from the front quarters. It also is winch ready, although the standard Rubicon bumper might be, as well. I haven't looked that closly at it, however.

Sponsored

Phenomenon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata
Well, for one thing, the steel front bumper has removable end caps, making it a stubby bumper and offering improved approach angle, from the front quarters. It also is winch ready, although the standard Rubicon bumper might be, as well. I haven't looked that closly at it, however.
Is it also safer due to being stronger? In a situation where someone hits me, I imagine the steel bumper would hold up better than the plastic one.

Jeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura MDX 2015, Ford F150, Honda Odyssey,
I noticed that one of the comments suggested that KO2’s were going to come standard with the Rubi. What size would that factory tire set up come in?

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
It is only open to media until 12-1 when mere customers can then go in

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
It is only open to media until 12-1 when mere customers can then go in
What was posted several comments above was that for a $100 fee one could gain entrance to the early events.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Is it also safer due to being stronger? In a situation where someone hits me, I imagine the steel bumper would hold up better than the plastic one.
If you get hit hard enough to worry about safety, there won't be a difference between the two bumpers. For very low speed impacts, the steel will take more of a hit before it dents or folds. I damaged my plastic rear bumper several times on my JK. A couple of those would have still dented the steel, and it would have been much more costly to replace. With the plastic, I was able to pull out the dents. There were still creases left, so ultimately I found a new rear plastic bumper for about 50 bucks on Craigslist. That would not have happened with steel. That said, I ordered steel bumpers for my JL because the front is winch ready, and integrates the winch inside, where it is more protected from UV and doesn't block the grille. I also wanted the removable end caps to make the front a stubby. What I don't want is the extra weight, but that's a tradeoff I'll live with. Honestly, the best thing going for the JL and its bumpers is the rear camera. I would not have damaged my rear bumper even one time on my JK had I a rear camera or the rear sensors.

The steel may also offer some advantages for other modifications, too. I haven't thought about particulars, but there is potential there. Then again, the JK rear bumper has mods, too, such as the ability to carry water. (By AEV, which is pretty cool!) There is even a fireman in Florida who rigged a neat set-up with a pump so that he could actually wash the mud off his Jeep when leaving trails! Anyway,

One more thing...My comments are on the factory steel bumpers, not bigger, stronger aftermarket bumpers. Some of those, I'm sure, would take much bigger low speed impacts without damage than the stamped steel factory bumpers, so before anyone gets butthurt, please understand this discussion is factory stamped steel vs. factory plastic. I've seen aftermarket bumpers that might survive accidents that destroy you and the rest of the Jeep! Those are a whole different ballgame. Remember, though, if you get hit hard, you want the Jeep to absorb the impact, not your body, so I doubt there is much difference between the two factory options in a severe hit. Both will crush and sacrifice themselves to dissipate some of the energy.

Reactions: JAY

Sponsored

Rumblefish

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite JLUR; 2015 BMW R1200GS
I noticed that one of the comments suggested that KO2’s were going to come standard with the Rubi. What size would that factory tire set up come in?
I believe that Rubi gets 285/70/17 KO2, but I guess we will know for sure in a day or so.

Jingles

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Terrain, 2015 Sierra
lacc-la-auto-show-sunset.jpg

We're happy to announce that we will be attending and covering next Wednesday's (Nov 29) debut of the JL Wrangler at the LA Auto Show! :rock:

We'll be armed with our cameras and will be posting live photos right from the show so let us know if there's any particular details you'd like to see. We'll also have our tape measure handy for any measurements you guys/gals want to know, so post your requests below.

Be sure to tune in to JLWF starting about noon (Pacific Time) next Wednesday. The Jeep press conference starts at 12:50 PM. :party:
When are we expecting the JLU to be available at dealers?

MotorMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
I’m curious to see how sturdy the new doors and door handles are. I preferred the JK’s fixed handles with the button because they were solid, and the button provided a pretty satisfying click when opening. Door/door handle quality is usually a gauge for the rest of the vehicle’s sturdiness.
Sponsored