Sponsored

JLUS + Rubi Suspension + Spacer Lift = ???

AvengerDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Hey folks! Happy 4th!

I’ve got a 2021 Unlimited Sport S. I’ve got a full Rubi takeoff suspension that I would like to swap in. My question is, if I also add simple spacer lift (leaning toward AEV or Teraflex) at the same time, are there any other components I would need to add to be able to run a 35”-ish tire on my stock wheels? (I assume I would probably need some wheel spacers to accommodate that tire size as well.)

I have a set of Recon/4XE wheels that came on the Sport, and I really like the look of these over most of the aftermarket options I’ve seen. I’m glad I got the Sport when I did, because these don’t appear to be a purchase option anymore at that trim level.

Anyway, second question. Are there any drawbacks to this setup for the long term? The majority of time will be spent on road with a few trail trips a year. I don’t see myself doing anything outside of some mild off-roading.

This route seems to be a bit more economical than a full dedicated lift kit, but I want to make sure I’m not missing something obvious.

Thanks for the help, folks! Have a great weekend.
Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
The Mopar lift LCAs are pretty inexpensive and should help with caster.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Hey folks! Happy 4th!

I’ve got a 2021 Unlimited Sport S. I’ve got a full Rubi takeoff suspension that I would like to swap in. My question is, if I also add simple spacer lift (leaning toward AEV or Teraflex) at the same time, are there any other components I would need to add to be able to run a 35”-ish tire on my stock wheels? (I assume I would probably need some wheel spacers to accommodate that tire size as well.)

I have a set of Recon/4XE wheels that came on the Sport, and I really like the look of these over most of the aftermarket options I’ve seen. I’m glad I got the Sport when I did, because these don’t appear to be a purchase option anymore at that trim level.

Anyway, second question. Are there any drawbacks to this setup for the long term? The majority of time will be spent on road with a few trail trips a year. I don’t see myself doing anything outside of some mild off-roading.

This route seems to be a bit more economical than a full dedicated lift kit, but I want to make sure I’m not missing something obvious.

Thanks for the help, folks! Have a great weekend.
How much spacer lift ?

bwilly622

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
I actually did this lift last month.

Rubi take off springs/shocks + teraflex 1.5in spacer kit. I also installed the Mopar lift lower control arms due to reading some comments here on the forum that it would help with the geometry. Ride is still fine on-road, haven't tried off road, but I assume it would be fine as long as you're not rock crawling or anything intense.

From the looks of it, I would guess it gave me around 3in lift vs stock sport suspension. I have plans to get 35in BFG's in the near future and I will have plenty of clearance.

Sponsored

OP
OP
AvengerDog

AvengerDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I actually did this lift last month.

Rubi take off springs/shocks + teraflex 1.5in spacer kit. I also installed the Mopar lift lower control arms due to reading some comments here on the forum that it would help with the geometry. Ride is still fine on-road, haven't tried off road, but I assume it would be fine as long as you're not rock crawling or anything intense.

From the looks of it, I would guess it gave me around 3in lift vs stock sport suspension. I have plans to get 35in BFG's in the near future and I will have plenty of clearance.
Thanks for the reply! That’s pretty much the exact setup I’m thinking of. Did you add or plan to add wheel spacers for the 35’s?

bwilly622

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the reply! That’s pretty much the exact setup I’m thinking of. Did you add or plan to add wheel spacers for the 35’s?
I do not have plans on adding spacers, but maybe one day down the line. If I do, it will be after I get the 35's and see how they look. Also, being in PA, the tires can not extend outside of the fenders but then I would have to look at aftermarket or rubi fenders.

OP
OP
AvengerDog

AvengerDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I do not have plans on adding spacers, but maybe one day down the line. If I do, it will be after I get the 35's and see how they look. Also, being in PA, the tires can not extend outside of the fenders but then I would have to look at aftermarket or rubi fenders.
Gotcha. I was wondering if you got or would get any tire rub at full turn. I imagine it would be close.

bwilly622

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I mean, if Rubicon with no lift can fit 35's without any issues, then a Sport w/ Rubi take offs should be fine as well. If you are adding spacers as well, then you're in even better shape

Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I’m thinking 1.5?
If you stay around 2-21/4” you won’t need anything extra for geometry correction. I would however get the longer Mopar lcas as mentioned. If you end up over 2.5” of lift I would get the extra parts, or get a complete 2.5” suspension lift.

So what I would do, and it’s a pain, but I would put the Rubi suspension on and see how much lift it nets you. Then order your spacers accordingly. Be sure to measure before you swap suspension. Measure from eye to eye on shocks or from top of the axle to the bottom lip of coil housing. Don’t mess with fender gap, or ground to bumper etc... there’s to many variables and won’t be as accurate.

As for the rims you mentioned, sorry I have no experience with factory wheels, sold mine soon as I got it home.

OP
OP
AvengerDog

AvengerDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you stay around 2-21/4” you won’t need anything extra for geometry correction. I would however get the longer Mopar lcas as mentioned. If you end up over 2.5” of lift I would get the extra parts, or get a complete 2.5” suspension lift.

So what I would do, and it’s a pain, but I would put the Rubi suspension on and see how much lift it nets you. Then order your spacers accordingly. Be sure to measure before you swap suspension. Measure from eye to eye on shocks or from top of the axle to the bottom lip of coil housing. Don’t mess with fender gap, or ground to bumper etc... there’s to many variables and won’t be as accurate.

As for the rims you mentioned, sorry I have no experience with factory wheels, sold mine soon as I got it home.
Thanks for the advice!

Are there any risks or long term issues that could arise from the spacer lift? I’ve seen a lot of opinions that say “just do the full lift” but not a lot of reasons why. Obviously, budget is a concern, I just want to make sure I’m not setting myself up for problems down the road.

There won’t be any rock crawling in my future, just some dirt roads and occasional mild trails.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the advice!

Are there any risks or long term issues that could arise from the spacer lift? I’ve seen a lot of opinions that say “just do the full lift” but not a lot of reasons why. Obviously, budget is a concern, I just want to make sure I’m not setting myself up for problems down the road.

There won’t be any rock crawling in my future, just some dirt roads and occasional mild trails.
There won’t be any issues. I always suggest suspension over spacer mainly for better articulation off-road, better more planted feel on road. What a lot of people don’t understand is, it’s not just rock crawling, just going down a fire road that’s potholed, or washboards, any uneven flexing, etc....all off-roading is gonna wear out stock suspension quicker do to they’re on different angles being lifted, and you’ll be looking to upgrade sooner than later. But I totally get having a budget, and wanting to do the best you can with what you can afford. Just sometimes, not always, it turns out to be cheaper to do it once in the long run , that’s all.

OP
OP
AvengerDog

AvengerDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There won’t be any issues. I always suggest suspension over spacer mainly for better articulation off-road, better more planted feel on road. What a lot of people don’t understand is, it’s not just rock crawling, just going down a fire road that’s potholed, or washboards, any uneven flexing, etc....all off-roading is gonna wear out stock suspension quicker do to they’re on different angles being lifted, and you’ll be looking to upgrade sooner than later. But I totally get having a budget, and wanting to do the best you can with what you can afford. Just sometimes, not always, it turns out to be cheaper to do it once in the long run , that’s all.
Thanks for the thoughtful response. That totally makes sense.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
I mean, if Rubicon with no lift can fit 35's without any issues, then a Sport w/ Rubi take offs should be fine as well. If you are adding spacers as well, then you're in even better shape
May fit, but the rubi fenders are different with more clearance.
Sponsored