Sponsored

JLUS lockers opinions requested

Bushwick18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara Unlimited
Hi All

I have a 2018 Sahara. I am going to Moab next year and looking into locker options. I do have LSD in the rear OEM that uses clutch packs.

I was thinking about leaving the rear axle alone and going with a selectable in the front (arb air) I want the same road performance so a selectable is preferred. I read a lot that says if locking, lock the rear. Any thoughts on this setup for lockers? I will also be going to 456 gears. There is a bunch of their things (sway bars involved) but at this point want to talk traction device setup.

Look forward to your thoughts and comments, if you have a Sahara and have done lockers. What is your setup?
Sponsored

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
Hi All

I have a 2018 Sahara. I am going to Moab next year and looking into locker options. I do have LSD in the rear OEM that uses clutch packs.

I was thinking about leaving the rear axle alone and going with a selectable in the front (arb air) I want the same road performance so a selectable is preferred. I read a lot that says if locking, lock the rear. Any thoughts on this setup for lockers? I will also be going to 456 gears. There is a bunch of their things (sway bars involved) but at this point want to talk traction device setup.

Look forward to your thoughts and comments, if you have a Sahara and have done lockers. What is your setup?
I have a Sahara and have an Ultimate Dana 44 ordered with e-locker ordered for the front. I, too, am leaving the rear alone except re-gearing to 488. I have LSD as well. Going to 488 because I have 37-inch tires.

You don't mention what tire size you have or plan to have. 35s or above would be worth considering chromoly or RCV axles, which would make sense to do the same time as the locker and gears. At that point, though, you're getting close to the price of a UD44 that just bolts on.

There are no stand alone e-lockers available yet that I'm aware of, so you have either ARB or the lunchbox style, at least I think that's the case.

My hope is that e-lockers or true-trac will be available for the rear in the near future but I'll just stick with the LSD for now.

You're likely to get more responses from guys with Sport/Sport S. There are more of them who've upgraded than Saharas.

edit: it may technically be better to lock the rear only if given a choice but since we have D44 already on the rear, the weak point is the front, so in my mind it makes sense to start there, like you are thinking.

OP
OP
Bushwick18

Bushwick18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara Unlimited
I have a Sahara and have an Ultimate Dana 44 ordered with e-locker ordered for the front. I, too, am leaving the rear alone except re-gearing to 488. I have LSD as well. Going to 488 because I have 37-inch tires.

You don't mention what tire size you have or plan to have. 35s or above would be worth considering chromoly or RCV axles, which would make sense to do the same time as the locker and gears. At that point, though, you're getting close to the price of a UD44 that just bolts on.

There are no stand alone e-lockers available yet that I'm aware of, so you have either ARB or the lunchbox style, at least I think that's the case.

My hope is that e-lockers or true-trac will be available for the rear in the near future but I'll just stick with the LSD for now.

You're likely to get more responses from guys with Sport/Sport S. There are more of them who've upgraded than Saharas.

edit: it may technically be better to lock the rear only if given a choice but since we have D44 already on the rear, the weak point is the front, so in my mind it makes sense to start there, like you are thinking.
I really appreciate your response and validation, it’s good to know I’ve thought this this in the right direction. Sorry about leaving off tire size. I am on 33 KO2’s and a Teraflex level kit. The reason for regearing Is because if I am going to lock might as well set up for 35s and extra weight like skid plates etc. that’s the max I want to go on tires so 456 gears is good for me. Like you, if true-trac were available I would upgrade my rear LSD to it.
Great suggestion on the D44 front upgrade. I am going to look into that.

you know it’s one of those things that I liked the Sahara as the city slicker and for beach access but capability has changed up my tastes. If I had known what I know now, would probably just gone Rubi over Sahara.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
My opinion, find some rubicon take out axles and get the mopar wiring harness for them. You’ll get lockers f/r, the 4.10 gears will pair well with your 33s along with all the benefits of the m210/220 axles

Brett

OP
OP
Bushwick18

Bushwick18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara Unlimited
My opinion, find some rubicon take out axles and get the mopar wiring harness for them. You’ll get lockers f/r, the 4.10 gears will pair well with your 33s along with all the benefits of the m210/220 axles

Brett
Thanks Brett. That’s an option ive heard. Saw some for around 2k each I think a few months back.
Sponsored