Sponsored

JLU's: How big of a winch are you running?

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
The Smittybilt X20 have a limited lifetime warranty, and their warranty process so far has been pretty easy.

https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/...lt-x2o-10k-winch-waterproof-gen2-and-fairlead

That said, I currently run a Warn Zeon 10 on my JK and a Warn 8274 on my old FJ40. They are local here in the NW and real good people to deal with.
Limited lifetime warranty is great, but they are very aggressive to deny claims. Seen it many times.

Warn is much better in this regard as you point out.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Limited lifetime warranty is great, but they are very aggressive to deny claims. Seen it many times.

Warn is much better in this regard as you point out.
Really? Lots of Smittys in our Jeep club. Never heard that. Then again, I've not heard of any of them failing, either, so maybe its true.

Tech Tim

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 of all kinds
Occupation
Part of the Northridge4x4 team

We sell a lot of Smittybilt winches and have had very few come back. That said... I just asked our returns crew and they say that Smittybilt is excellent to deal with and that they haven't had any issues with warranty returns.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
We sell a lot of Smittybilt winches and have had very few come back. That said... I just asked our returns crew and they say that Smittybilt is excellent to deal with and that they haven't had any issues with warranty returns.
Perhaps you guys do enough volume with them you get treated better then a end customer.

I know with Warn when a customer contacts them it is typically great service, and often if the part is cheap they just ship it to you free. As a customer I feel like I matter to Warn.

With Smitty it is tough to even get a response, and if you do get ready to pay. I feel like an inconvenience to them.

Now, if one of your customers bought a Smitty winch and 6 months later it failed do you get in the middle of the warranty claim or is that direct?

Sponsored

Tech Tim

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 of all kinds
Occupation
Part of the Northridge4x4 team
Now, if one of your customers bought a Smitty winch and 6 months later it failed do you get in the middle of the warranty claim or is that direct?
If the customer purchased it from us, then they should contact us first, even a couple years after they purchased the winch.

This is also why you should keep proof of purchase (receipts/order numbers) on any products with long warranties.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
If the customer purchased it from us, then they should contact us first, even a couple years after they purchased the winch.

This is also why you should keep proof of purchase (receipts/order numbers) on any products with long warranties.
Thanks, even more reasons to buy from you guys ;)

Coops4284

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB; 2019 Indian Scout Bobber
Occupation
IT Enterprise Architect
Vehicle Showcase
Warn VR 10 here, love it and have used it quite a bit around my farm.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Perhaps you guys do enough volume with them you get treated better then a end customer.

I know with Warn when a customer contacts them it is typically great service, and often if the part is cheap they just ship it to you free. As a customer I feel like I matter to Warn.

With Smitty it is tough to even get a response, and if you do get ready to pay. I feel like an inconvenience to them.

I bought Warn tube doors through Northridge. The quality on the original set of doors was terrible. and significant parts were missing. Northridge interceded and took care of it. I can't really speak to Warn's customer service, but the idea that their products are all superior is not always true.

My recommendation is to buy from Northridge, whether you buy Warn or Smittybilt or whatever you want, because they will take care of you the same, either way.

The debate now becomes moot for those buying @Northridge4x4 .

Next topic would be a winch comparison, and some might be surprised at how well the Smittybilts do. I've got an Engo winch on my JK that is about 10 years old. It beat Warn's best at the time in a shootout in one of the major 4x4 magazines. But Warn was given the victory. Why? Because they liked the markings on the remote better. Seriously. That was all it did better. The Smittybilt on my JL is superior to that old Engo. I'm not saying the Warn winches aren't good. I'm just saying that the others may be every bit as good. In the meantime, that old Engo soldiers on. It may be getting some work next week while we're on the Appalachian Byway. I tested it out the other night and it ran just like it always has. It makes ugly noise, and smokes on long runs, but it works, every time, same as it did when new. I've done lots of pulls with the Smitty, and it's not let me down yet, either.

Btw, guess where the Warn tube doors were made? China. So those knocking Smittybilt for that can add Warn to their naughty list.

Last edited:

Sponsored

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Many call them ShittyBilt for a reason.

If you want to go that route you might as well go HF BadLands as when it fails and if still on warranty most likely a local swap.
I ran the Shittybuilt X20 on my last JK, it was dependable, pulled many rigs(and limbs) out of harms way. It didn't do something a Warn of my son's did.............fill up the gears with water. Say what you want but the X20 is a decent winch. So much so I bought a 12K X20 for my current rig.

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
I put this one out front. Yeah. It WAS necessary.

Specs:

Load capacity: 1 ton – 200 ton
Drum capacity: 100m- 1500m
Speed: 4.5m/min – 20 m/min
No. of drum: single or double
Drive type: hydraulic

ship-winch.jpg

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase