Sponsored

JLU's: How big of a winch are you running?

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
Quick question for everyone here who is running a winch on their JLU: How big of a winch are you running? Was thinking a 10k winch would be fine, then I saw on some door stickers the JLU is rated at 5800lbs? Given that conventional logic/ safety is 2x the weight of your rig when fully loaded down, I'm starting to look at 12k winches.

is 5800lbs accurate? Is a 12k winch necessary for a JLU? Curious what everyone is running. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
Curb weight is 4400 lb with max payload of 1240 lb for a total of 5640 on a 4 door Rubicon. That is probably where you are getting that 5800 from rounded up.

That being said if you are pushing the max payload on a trail you are going to be having a hard time in the trail and chances are you will not even cross 1klb with your gear and humans inside.

Also rule of thumb is 1.5x, so at max payload of 5640x1.5=8460. So a 8.5k winch will just cut it.

But more winch the better right? To a point yes, up a 10k is optimal, 12k is pushing it anything past that you are looking for trouble. What happens is the frames or bumper may not be able to hold up to the strength of the winch and will fall before the winch does. Because if the frame fails you got a massive problem on your hands

caged

First Name
Rodger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1949 CJ3a 90XJ 00XJ 97TJ 18JLR
10k should be sufficient, 12k would be max as mentioned, anything more is silly.
know what a snatch block is, and use it properly, a 10k pound winch and a snatch block or two will get you out of anything you can get into.

i have a fully built up xj with very heavy bumpers and full of gear. i use a warn m8000 and carry 3 snatch blocks and have all the tree straps/shackles and recovery straps that one would ever need.

Jeep Generation

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 JK Willys, 1999 TJ Sport, 1966 CJ5-A
Curb weight is 4400 lb with max payload of 1240 lb for a total of 5640 on a 4 door Rubicon. That is probably where you are getting that 5800 from rounded up.

That being said if you are pushing the max payload on a trail you are going to be having a hard time in the trail and chances are you will not even cross 1klb with your gear and humans inside.

Also rule of thumb is 1.5x, so at max payload of 5640x1.5=8460. So a 8.5k winch will just cut it.

But more winch the better right? To a point yes, up a 10k is optimal, 12k is pushing it anything past that you are looking for trouble. What happens is the frames or bumper may not be able to hold up to the strength of the winch and will fall before the winch does. Because if the frame fails you got a massive problem on your hands
Great break down.

Sponsored

OP
OP
RubiSc0tt

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
@Sheepjeep Thanks for the breakdown. I was talking to a friend who knows a little bit more about recovery than I do (years of way higher difficulty pulls and recovery than I do). I currently have an 8k lb Warn and carry a snatch block with me- I don't wheel alone and most of the time, I'm only winching if I get hung up on a rock or ledge. We live in the Northeast so we don't load up with a ton of gear and go wheeling (mostly day trips and road trips). Trying to cut weight on this JLUR Build (using aluminum where possible) and for me, the focus of this build has changed from my past ones (more wheeling and road tripping with my family than rushing to climb boulders.. haha). He seems to think I can get away with my current winch for the time being and save up for the 10k eventually. At first I was skeptical, but after talking to him and the responses here, I think I'll be OK for the time being with my 8k Warn. That said- If a black Friday deal comes up on a Warn 10k... ;)

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
You won’t go wrong with a good 8k winch. I’m running the old standby M8000s. It’s plenty big enough for the JLUR. Even loaded to the hilt. Even maxed out you’re less than 8500 lbs capacity. Nothing wrong with a 10k but it’s not needed.

jeppesen.io

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, WR250R, JLU Rubicon
You won’t go wrong with a good 8k winch. I’m running the old standby M8000s. It’s plenty big enough for the JLUR. Even loaded to the hilt. Even maxed out you’re less than 8500 lbs capacity. Nothing wrong with a 10k but it’s not needed.
Yep, m8000 here loaded up and it works great. Pulled my JL on it's skid plates with wheels off the ground no problem.

It's also a little lighter than most other warn winches

OP
OP
RubiSc0tt

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
The more I read about them, the more I am becoming a fan of the Warn VR S Series. I really like the detachable "solenoid" pack, so it can be mounted somewhere more protected and out of the elements. I know they're all waterproof now, but I live in the middle of the rust belt so I'm dealing with corrosion too. My Warn XD has lived its entire life under a winch cover when not on the trail, and it is still kicking strong but some of the powder coat has seen better days and I'm getting a little leery about the seals on the solenoid pack. I've had it stop when trying to spool in then start again then stop and start again, with the solenoids clicking a bit. Opened it up and it looks OK, but there is a little corrosion there. I really like the idea of the added protection from the elements.

Sponsored

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
any non integrated solenoid pack can be relocated its just a matter of running 0 or 2 gauge wire from the pack to the motor

OP
OP
RubiSc0tt

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
any non integrated solenoid pack can be relocated its just a matter of running 0 or 2 gauge wire from the pack to the motor
My current winch has an integrated Solenoid pack. It's old.

WestKY

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 4x4, Jl 2Dr Sport Granite Cyrstal Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
Quick question for everyone here who is running a winch on their JLU: How big of a winch are you running? Was thinking a 10k winch would be fine, then I saw on some door stickers the JLU is rated at 5800lbs? Given that conventional logic/ safety is 2x the weight of your rig when fully loaded down, I'm starting to look at 12k winches.

is 5800lbs accurate? Is a 12k winch necessary for a JLU? Curious what everyone is running. Thanks in advance.
Running a 10s on 2Dr it's a little bit of a overkill as far as self recovery but price was right lol. However winched out a
Old model Suburban this weekend,extra capacity certainly didn't hurt. 8k is fine, get good snatch blocks.

47Jeepster

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR Diesel ... 2018 GC Summit
Occupation
Retired
Since the topic has taken a slight tangent ... has anybody relocated their solenoid pack off the winch and under the hood in JL? If so, where ... and pics would be great. Or, send me to the thread showing it. I have a Smittybilt Gen 2 12K winch on a Rubicon "winch ready" bumper. Thinking about either moving the solenoid to the side (would offend my OCD towards symmetry) or move it under the hood (not a lot of room with access to the solenoid).

Psst ... since I don't see @Rhinebeck01 on this thread ... he hates when I share tech tips ... if your winch is too large, just press the switch a little lighter ... that'll reduce the pulling power ... seriously!

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Psst ... since I don't see @Rhinebeck01 on this thread ... he hates when I share tech tips ... if your winch is too large, just press the switch a little lighter ... that'll reduce the pulling power ... seriously!
@47Jeepster

The only time I would comment in a non positive way when somebody gives a tech tip on the forum, ...... is when somebody posts pure crapola.... posts nonsensical crapola, that some poor slug here that did not know better, would possibly believe and act on.... Yes, then I would comment, would say something, just as many others here would.

So, I gather you have posted such material or you would not be looking over your shoulder so to speak...

Oh, it is obvious you are trolling. Suggest you troll in the pond down the street, not on this forum...

Sponsored