Sponsored

JLURD - what is needed to fill with "Jerry Cans"?

mcjeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
My wife makes fun of me, but I always prepare for the worst, and hope for the best. I think it may be partly due to my job where I have to always think of every threat scenario.

While its a bit more work, I cant imagine ever going back to a 3.6 JL. dont get me wrong, I liked my gas JLURs, but I really, really like my new Diesel.
I too have a job that forces me to do that, and my wife also gives me #&^! for it --- says this guy, who has a funnel already and my JLURD is still on order!
Sponsored

OP
OP
drick

drick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR & 2021 JLURD
I have been use scepter fuel can for over 10 years. Current NATO issue as well. Far better than any metal cans.

F84F69E9-AB16-41BE-A25F-00604014B4E2.jpeg
9D253792-9C6F-487B-B686-80DF92A301A0.jpeg
D9DD411C-CAA8-434B-BC91-1F31850C3E22.jpeg
No argument on those, i use them for water and they are awesome.

Haven't tried them for fuel yet, how do they do they with significant temp swings?

OP
OP
drick

drick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR & 2021 JLURD
My wife makes fun of me, but I always prepare for the worst, and hope for the best. I think it may be partly due to my job where I have to always think of every threat scenario.

While its a bit more work, I cant imagine ever going back to a 3.6 JL. dont get me wrong, I liked my gas JLURs, but I really, really like my new Diesel.
agreed on both again.

the difference going back and forth between the JKUR and the JLURD is pretty significant. If i could ever get my diesel build done, i would actually consider selling the JK. Until then, keeping it as it is pretty much bombproof.

Sponsored

Suffolklou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Did a search on this, and saw no related posts

So i finally got around to experimenting with mounting my 5g Jerry Can's to the LOD bumper (see build thread for details). So the good news is that they fit perfectly, and the LOD mounting system worked great after i figured out the spacing. After testing for a bit, came back home and tried to use the non-CARB spout (i.e. flexible) to see if it would work with FCA fuel cap - it doesn't. I then tried using the CARB version of the spout (i.e. hard plastic - no flex), that didn't work either.

Jerry Can (CARB spout shown) - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C43O95W/ref=twister_B01CFJAER2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Pretty close representation of the NON-CARB spout - https://www.amazon.com/Wavian-Long-...arb+spout&qid=1633901004&s=automotive&sr=1-15

I then tried two funnels i had at home to see if either of them would work - they didn't either.

soooo......

Has anyone found a solution to this? On my wife's diesel BMW, they gave us an extra spout/funnel to use for emergencies that would push the CARB crap out of the way. I can't find it anywhere inside the Jeep however.

TIA for any information / suggestions
What is the FCA Fuel cap?

OP
OP
drick

drick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR & 2021 JLURD

Suffolklou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR

Sponsored

FinnCustomKnives

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon Ecodiesel
which spout, the one that came with it or the long metal one?
I have one of these. Works great but if you live in humid conditions it will rust a bit if left out unfortunately. Love the operation, just wish it was stainless.

4136-long-spout--1200x1200_1024x1024.jpg

00 Trans Ram

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
I had never opened that cubby as the ARB kind of obscures it. Just checked and it was in there and works!

THANKS!!! :)
Also, that funnel allows you to fill up at the 18-wheeler pumps at truck stops (they have larger nozzles, so it won't fit into your fill neck). Not that I have needed to do it often, but when Hurricane Ida hit and there were 4-hour long lines at gas stations, I could bypass the line and go straight to the truck side of a station.

Be careful, though - those pumps put out a LOT of fuel at high velocity. You can only really pull the handle at like 25% or so, without it spilling everywhere.

RubiBlueJLU

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel
Occupation
Structural Technician
The “adapter/funnel” also comes in handy when you try to fill up at a station that doesn’t have the “correct” size pump nozzle.
Stopped for fuel in Hampton, VA the other day. Went to fill the tank, and the nozzle was the same size as the unleaded nozzles. Would not open the discrimination filter! Had to pull out the adapter (1st time) to fill up.
BTW, it truly was the diesel pump/nozzle!
Sponsored