First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
@Roky @chevymitchell @BDinTX Have y’all messed with these? OP broke loose a body bolt for sliders. Don’t want him to break one.
The loctite on these bolts can be a pain. If you don't have an induction heater, then loosen the bolts and tighten them. Loosen them again and tighten. Repeat until the bolt comes out.

There is a retainer in there that holds the bolts. Once you have the bolt out and it's just spinning, use an open end wrench to pull down on the bolt above the washer as you loosen it. It will pop out and hit you in the face. Lol. I know 'dis.

Anyway, the loctite is known to break bolts, but if you take the time to work the bolt back and forth and let it heat up and eat through the initial loctite, it will be ok. Once you loosen it and tighten enough to get one to three turns on the bolt, the loctite will now have new threads cut into it so it'll allow the bolt to come out. Induction heat is the way to go, but it's not required.

An impact helps with this, as well. Trying to remove them with a smooth action like a ratchet or breaker bar will not work very well. It will work, but an impact hammering on it is certainly beneficial. I have yet to break a body bolt working the bolts like this.

Sponsored

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
An impact helps with this, as well. Trying to remove them with a smooth action like a ratchet or breaker bar will not work very well. It will work, but an impact hammering on it is certainly beneficial. I have yet to break a body bolt working the bolts like this.
So Shawn, are you saying using an impact in and out until loose works without fear of snapping a bolt? Definitely would be much easier if so

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
So Shawn, are you saying using an impact in and out until loose works without fear of snapping a bolt? Definitely would be much easier if so
Yeah. If you’re easy with the impact, you won’t have issues. If you sit there and hammer on it for 10-15 seconds, then I would expect bad things to happen. When going in the tightening direction, don’t retorque the bolt with the impact. Just enough to move the bolt. 1-3 turns. Then reverse the bolt back out. This method has worked like a charm. I have an induction heater and still do this method before breaking it out.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah. If you’re easy with the impact, you won’t have issues. If you sit there and hammer on it for 10-15 seconds, then I would expect bad things to happen. When going in the tightening direction, don’t retorque the bolt with the impact. Just enough to move the bolt. 1-3 turns. Then reverse the bolt back out. This method has worked like a charm. I have an induction heater and still do this method before breaking it out.
May have to try this route soon. Have a used set of RSEs sitting in the garage I keep delaying install since not sure was ready to tackle these bolts. Of course I need to do a little cutting on the stupid new bracket they installed on passenger side frame also on late model 22s. Thanks bud 👍🏻

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
May have to try this route soon. Have a used set of RSEs sitting in the garage I keep delaying install since not sure was ready to tackle these bolts. Of course I need to do a little cutting on the stupid new bracket they installed on passenger side frame also on late model 22s. Thanks bud 👍🏻
No worries at all man. I just put a set of RSE’s on for a forum member a couple months back and had to cut the bracket. It’s a small amount of material that has to come off, but it’ll work out great.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I've had good luck w/ red loctite bolts using a blow torch and an infrared temp gun, just getting the fastened area up to 500F. Has worked well every time, I assume it would also work well w/ these body bolt bitches :)

Great info @chevymitchell as always!

Sponsored

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
No worries at all man. I just put a set of RSE’s on for a forum member a couple months back and had to cut the bracket. It’s a small amount of material that has to come off, but it’ll work out great.
I may be taking that bulky bracket completely out. I know there’s couple routes to leave it and trim, but not sure which route I want to go yet.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
btw Shawn, any lucky soul end up w/ Pain Train, curious what that badass project has become???

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
I may be taking that bulky bracket completely out. I know there’s couple routes to leave it and trim, but not sure which route I want to go yet.
If I had one on mine, I’d take it out, for sure.

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
btw Shawn, any lucky soul end up w/ Pain Train, curious what that badass project has become???
Nah. Pain Train still lives on in my possession. It’s currently at the body shop getting the rear quarters replaced. This one will be hard to get rid of. It’ll take the right person at the right time, I think.

32C8B396-CF30-4BB3-9FFD-13CB2C2B84DD.jpeg

188495C6-DF59-4C58-94D6-979D7864B3F3.jpeg

OP
OP

treillw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Thank you all for your help. I got it back together, torqued, and loctited.

I gently heated the bolt with a blow torch while monitoring the temp with an infrared thermometer - didn't want to melt the rubber. I only went up to 150°. I just worked the bolt back and forth with a breaker bar and it slowly worked its way out. You have to pry on it pretty hard to get that retainer clip to pop over the threads on the tip of the bolt. It ended up deforming the threads, but it didn't damage it enough to effect it going back in.

After I got the bolt out, it didn't look like the threads even had any loctite on them. My heating might not have done anything - I didn't go that high, as it was coming out.

For anybody reading this in the future, be careful not to displace the nut that's up in the body, or you may be in for an adventure. I noticed that it was off-center and luckily I was able to move it back in the position with
a screwdriver.
Sponsored