JLUR - Xtreme Recon Package or Clayton Overland Lift

Psyvad

New Member
First Name
Bart
Joined
Nov 17, 2021
Threads
2
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Location
Idaho - Treasure Valley
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Rubicon
After months of looking, I'm getting close to placing an order for a new JLUR. As the Jeep will be spending 95% of its life on the road with the rest driving at a good pace on dirt roads, I would like the option that gives the nicest on-road ride while still soaking up the high speed bumps on trails. If I don't go with the Xtreme Recon Package, I will probably go with the diesel engine option.

Thanks!

 

Cjanak21

Well-Known Member
First Name
Chris
Joined
Apr 14, 2021
Threads
18
Messages
537
Reaction score
975
Location
Charlotte, NC
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cyber Security Consultant
Both are good options, I think the XR package would save you some money especially due to the 4.56 gearing and bigger 35" tires standard
 

path0s

Well-Known Member
First Name
Mike
Joined
Jan 4, 2022
Threads
1
Messages
104
Reaction score
149
Location
Goose Creek, SC
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Don't forget, the XR package also comes with the M210 HD tube axle. So the tubes are 10mm instead of the 7.0mm~ on the standard rubi. That alone with 4.56 is worth the money.

Along with the cast knuckles, 4.56, reinforced tail gate, and 315s.
 

aldo98229

Well-Known Member
First Name
Aldo
Joined
Nov 16, 2019
Threads
73
Messages
8,978
Reaction score
22,296
Location
Bellingham, WA
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider Abarth
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
2
All of that hardware is meaningless for a Jeep that’s going to spend 95% on-road and the rest 5% on forest roads.

I’d take the diesel. And then add a good lift, like the Dynatrac EnduroSport, to get the best possible ride.

Welcome to the forum, BTW!
 

path0s

Well-Known Member
First Name
Mike
Joined
Jan 4, 2022
Threads
1
Messages
104
Reaction score
149
Location
Goose Creek, SC
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Just hearing so many issues on the forums with the ecodiesel within the JL platform, id rather wait a year or two until those issues are fixed.

Personally to me, the XR is worth it. Depending on the pace he's talking about on dirt roads, he could leave it in stock form with the 315s from factory. Not even having to purchase a lift, depends on if you're the type that wants to upgrade or not. I'm already throwing a 3.5" lift on my XR and I'm only at 300 miles.
 


Omotose

Well-Known Member
First Name
Frank
Joined
Sep 24, 2021
Threads
12
Messages
73
Reaction score
142
Location
AZ Desert
Vehicle(s)
2008 JK Rubicon, 2021 Rubicon Unlimited on order
I’ll be watching this. I did get the extreme recon package and very much appreciate the beefier running gear and spare tire storage. I’m on the fence for a lift. I need more wheelin time to figure out if I want better suspension than what I currently have. If I did go with a lift the first one I want to check out is the Clayton 2.5” overland. I need to talk to their tech folks.
 

path0s

Well-Known Member
First Name
Mike
Joined
Jan 4, 2022
Threads
1
Messages
104
Reaction score
149
Location
Goose Creek, SC
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
All of that hardware is meaningless for a Jeep that’s going to spend 95% on-road and the rest 5% on forest roads.

I’d take the diesel. And then add a good lift, like the Dynatrac EnduroSport, to get the best possible ride.

Welcome to the forum, BTW!
I was just trying to point out the XR package has more than what most people realize.
 

path0s

Well-Known Member
First Name
Mike
Joined
Jan 4, 2022
Threads
1
Messages
104
Reaction score
149
Location
Goose Creek, SC
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
I’ll be watching this. I did get the extreme recon package and very much appreciate the beefier running gear and spare tire storage. I’m on the fence for a lift. I need more wheelin time to figure out if I want better suspension than what I currently have. If I did go with a lift the first one I want to check out is the Clayton 2.5” overland. I need to talk to their tech folks.
There is a few pages here on the forums people have been talking about the XR and 392(same axle aside from FAD and Shafts) . Showing 2.5" and 3.5" lifts and other upgrades. Jeepeto has a good build going as well.
 

RudeJeepin

Well-Known Member
First Name
Carl
Joined
Jul 31, 2021
Threads
1
Messages
81
Reaction score
192
Location
Washington
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
I could be wrong, but doesn't the diesel get you the axle upgrades also?
How about the diesel Rubicon?
 

double J

Active Member
First Name
Johnny
Joined
Jul 22, 2018
Threads
2
Messages
29
Reaction score
48
Location
Glen Allen Va
Vehicle(s)
2022 rubicon Xtreme
Xtreme recon package only available with v6 pentastar etorque, or 392.
 


OversandJL

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 22, 2017
Threads
44
Messages
497
Reaction score
517
Location
Massachusetts
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2017 JKU Sahara, 2014 JKU Sport S, 2007 JKU Sport, 1997 TJ,
I am a big fan of Clayton Off Road and have run the 2.5 overland plus kit and recently upgraded to their 3.5 inch springs to clear my 38s easier. I have run them for over 50k miles without issue and they work great. Since the Extreme Recon already comes with a 2 inch lift you could just add the components it's missing. Buy the Clayton control arms, track bars, etc..then you have the best of both worlds with adjustability.
 

Jeepeto

Well-Known Member
First Name
Josh
Joined
Jul 24, 2021
Threads
32
Messages
1,740
Reaction score
4,354
Location
North Texas
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
2
95% on road and 5% at a good pace on dirt roads... you could get away with a base model sport.

The XR suspension handles dirt roads just fine, but comes with a lot of other goodies that makes it a great daily driver. Things like proper gearing and bigger brakes.

TBH, the beadlock wheels made the biggest difference in comfort on "dirt roads" and embedded rock trails that seem to rattle your teeth loose. It requires you purchase separate rings and maintain them, but it's a huge difference in comfort. Your suspension doesn't have to work that hard if the tires already took care of most of the bumps.

Just my 0.02$
 

stumblinhorse

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 17, 2021
Threads
18
Messages
462
Reaction score
466
Location
Colorado
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
95% of jeeps spend 95% of the time on road :LOL:

All depends on what you want. XR package is a great deal for a JLUR. Can’t beat it aftermarket.

But you don’t need either…. Buy what you want…. What fits your personality and budget. XR package is turnkey. Adding a lift is a lot of fun. Picking wheels and tires and making sure everything is torqued and aligned is perfect for a detailed personality. Buy what fits.
 

trekster

Well-Known Member
First Name
Trekster
Joined
Jul 19, 2021
Threads
5
Messages
51
Reaction score
37
Location
Golden Colorado
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon Extreme Recon
I am a big fan of Clayton Off Road and have run the 2.5 overland plus kit and recently upgraded to their 3.5 inch springs to clear my 38s easier. I have run them for over 50k miles without issue and they work great. Since the Extreme Recon already comes with a 2 inch lift you could just add the components it's missing. Buy the Clayton control arms, track bars, etc..then you have the best of both worlds with adjustability.
How would you rate the 3.5" / 2.5" suspension on the road, comfortable on long road trips and off road? I've got a 2022 Rubicon Extreme Recon on order, want to run 37s and add a 3.5" inch lift. Had a JK lifted 3.5" 35s, great 4 wheeling, highway driving was tough because of the ride.
 

OversandJL

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 22, 2017
Threads
44
Messages
497
Reaction score
517
Location
Massachusetts
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2017 JKU Sahara, 2014 JKU Sport S, 2007 JKU Sport, 1997 TJ,
How would you rate the 3.5" / 2.5" suspension on the road, comfortable on long road trips and off road? I've got a 2022 Rubicon Extreme Recon on order, want to run 37s and add a 3.5" inch lift. Had a JK lifted 3.5" 35s, great 4 wheeling, highway driving was tough because of the ride.
Very comfortable, it's all in the shocks you choose. I think the Fox 2.0s pair great!

 

Rubitrux
 
Top