Sponsored

JLUR will not stay in 4 low

foxswimmer

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR, '04 Mazda3, '13 Sienna (because kids)
TLDR:

Has anyone else experienced the issue of not being able to keep a JL engaged in 4L? Mine pops out every single time, mostly when shifting the transmission from N back into D. The rare occasion when I do get into 4L and D, it pops out after a few seconds of movement. I am not ruling out operator error, but I have successfully shifted a JK into 4L before, I read the manual, watched several youtube videos, and tried over 20 times and have yet to be successful.

This guy reports a very similar problem, with a similar mileage JLUR. His dealer gave him the excuse it was his Jeep not being programmed for 37" tires. I have 315/70r17 and I am programmed with a tazer. He reported it getting a little better after a few wheeling trips. So here's to hoping ...

DETAILS:

I have a 2020 JLUR with just under 3k miles, none of them off road except for a trip to the beach a few weeks ago. That trip was the first time in 4H. The first few tries to shift into 4H were hit and miss. It would be fine for a very short while, but then start making grinding sounds and pop out. That happened maybe 3 times. But on the 4th try it stayed engaged and we drove a mile down the beach and had no more issues.

The return drive at the end of the day was also fine in 4H, but I wanted to test out 4L. I did it all by the book/manual, but it would just not stay engaged in 4L. I tried maybe half a dozen times before giving up. There was some grinding as I was attempting 4L, and the indicator showed I was in 4L while the transmission was in N, but the shifting to D always popped it out.

I am planning to head to Uwharrie this weekend, so I wanted to give 4L another test. I found some dirt and gravel and tried maybe 20 times to get it to shift into 4L and stay, all without success. Most of the time it would show 4L with the transmission in N, but shifting to D would always pop it out. On the occasions where shifting to D did not immediately pop it out, it was drive for just a few seconds before popping out of 4L.

Note, while I have never shifted a JL into 4L successful, I have done so on a JK, so I don't think that I am doing it wrong, but admit it could be operator error (but at this point I don't think so).

Am I at the point where I take it back to the dealer and ask them to investigate? Or do I just keep trying and hope it gets better?

Am I fine to wheel in 4H? That is, if there is something out of alignment that is causing a problem staying in 4L, could that case a problem / damage by driving in 4H.? I would think so, but maybe I am just paranoid. I'd hate to cancel our Uwharrie plans, but I also don't want to do something stupid. I wasn't planning on hitting the really hard stuff since this will be our introduction to Uwharrie.
Sponsored

OP
OP
foxswimmer

foxswimmer

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Revolution_322

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubi White

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Happened to me the first te I used 4l, but not since. Look into that adjustment of the linkage (the dealer should be doing this for you. I would push this).

Sponsored

OP
OP
foxswimmer

foxswimmer

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Happened to me the first te I used 4l, but not since. Look into that adjustment of the linkage (the dealer should be doing this for you. I would push this).
Ya, while I could maybe tackle this myself, I am leaning towards having the dealer take a look.

I assume I am fine to ride around in 4H without making anything worse?

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Ya, while I could maybe tackle this myself, I am leaning towards having the dealer take a look.

I assume I am fine to ride around in 4H without making anything worse?
Yep, no worries. Sometimes 4L is better, but that is situational.

OP
OP
foxswimmer

foxswimmer

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just to follow up on this thread. I opted for the dealer to fix under warranty rather than attempt to fix myself. Tested it in a gravel lot and works perfectly now.

D9A6C4C6-A206-4C43-B072-2D24DADBBD41.jpeg

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
That's good news. Mine popped out again this weekend but it happened after putting it into 4L. I still think mine is a break-in thing, once it's in...it's in.

Sponsored

Revolution_322

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubi White
That's good news. Mine popped out again this weekend but it happened after putting it into 4L. I still think mine is a break-in thing, once it's in...it's in.
It should t beed to break in if its off by 5-6 mm it will pop out. You dont want to be chewing up mesh gears on yr tcase in a brand new jeep.

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
It should t beed to break in if its off by 5-6 mm it will pop out. You dont want to be chewing up mesh gears on yr tcase in a brand new jeep.
If it keeps doing it, I'll take it in for sure. Right now it's so intermittent and only pops out right after shifting it to 4L. I'm not revving it hard when it happens so I'm not worried about grenading the gears.
Sponsored