Sponsored

JLUR went haywire and dealership can't diagnose the problem.

Rogue

First Name
Heather
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I'm so frustrated. My 3-month old 2018 JLUR went haywire on me a few weeks ago. I turned it on, and the shifter had a hard time shifting from park to reverse. I back out of my garage and the windshield wipers start going off and I get all of these warning messages on my dash (see attachments). My jeep was revving up and I couldn't turn it off! I was able to eventually turn it off after about 5 minutes. I called Jeep and they never heard of this issue. I called the dealership and they couldn't get me in for two weeks.

I continued to drive the Jeep, as it was fine after that and had the two week wait, and the issue happened again about a day before I brought it into the dealership to get checked out. The dealership spent about 10+ hours and 70 miles to try and diagnose the problem and they have not been able to come up with anything! They saw the problem the first time they started my Jeep, but it hasn't since replicated itself.

I don't know what to do. The dealership is suggesting I pick up my Jeep tomorrow since they can't find the problem. The dealership said it could be electrical, wire, etc, but the diagnostics is not guiding them where to start looking. I asked, then why don't you start looking at the wires, etc.? They said they didn't know where to start. I'm so frustrated and we paid so much $$$ for my Jeep. Did I buy a lemon? Has anyone had this similar issue? What do I do? I want Jeep involved, but would they actually get involved to make sure this problem is resolved for good?

IMG_1145.JPG

IMG_1148.JPG

IMG_1150.JPG

IMG_1151.JPG
Sponsored

47Jeepster

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR Diesel ... 2018 GC Summit
Occupation
Retired
I would push for your dealership to open a Star Case ... mention that dreaded "This is a safety problem" phrase. A Star Case will get FCA involved and usually brings the problem to the attention of engineering. Engineering at FCA's level is much more likely to have seen this problem than your local dealership. If you've seen the problem three times in two weeks, it most likely isn't going to go away, so continue to push your dealership for "a plan" of attack. You're over one major hurdle ... the dealership has seen the problem and believes you!

Intermittent problems are a bitch to solve, but problems where the engine revs up are not to be swept under the rug. Be polite, but be persistent about them having to stay actively involved in determining a fix.

Last edited:

Shaved Ice

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Mine had similar weird electrical glitches, over three days, a couple of weeks ago. I was traveling so I just went to the closest dealership. They saw the problem, but the Jeep was fine after they cleared he codes. I got a print out of the 1.5 page (single space) list of error codes and continued on my journey. It hasn’t reoccurred.

Blown7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 Hellcat powered CJ7..... 2007 Jeep SRT8...2018 Trackhawk
Believe it or not some of these weird problems can be traced back to a weak battery. Have the dealership do a capacity check.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I'm so frustrated. My 3-month old 2018 JLUR went haywire on me a few weeks ago. I turned it on, and the shifter had a hard time shifting from park to reverse. I back out of my garage and the windshield wipers start going off and I get all of these warning messages on my dash (see attachments). My jeep was revving up and I couldn't turn it off! I was able to eventually turn it off after about 5 minutes. I called Jeep and they never heard of this issue. I called the dealership and they couldn't get me in for two weeks.

I continued to drive the Jeep, as it was fine after that and had the two week wait, and the issue happened again about a day before I brought it into the dealership to get checked out. The dealership spent about 10+ hours and 70 miles to try and diagnose the problem and they have not been able to come up with anything! They saw the problem the first time they started my Jeep, but it hasn't since replicated itself.

I don't know what to do. The dealership is suggesting I pick up my Jeep tomorrow since they can't find the problem. The dealership said it could be electrical, wire, etc, but the diagnostics is not guiding them where to start looking. I asked, then why don't you start looking at the wires, etc.? They said they didn't know where to start. I'm so frustrated and we paid so much $$$ for my Jeep. Did I buy a lemon? Has anyone had this similar issue? What do I do? I want Jeep involved, but would they actually get involved to make sure this problem is resolved for good?

IMG_1145.JPG

IMG_1148.JPG

IMG_1150.JPG

IMG_1151.JPG
Take a video any and every time something happens as long as it's safe to do. You are somewhat lucky the dealer saw the problem once. FCA can't claim there is no problem. Other people reported fuses not being seated fully from the factory. That is probably a good place to start. I would not pick up the vehicle from the dealer until they fix it if you feel it is unsafe to drive. You are fortunate you are in WI. Wisconsin has decent lemon law protection if you need to go there.

https://wisconsindot.gov/Documents/dmv/shared/lemonlawafter.pdf

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
You are not alone. Others have reported on similar problems, especially possessed windshield wipers. Could be due to faulty aux battery system, either defective battery or problem with charging system. Could be loose ground or other loose connection somewhere.

There are other reports of similar problem on this forum that were fixed.

OP
OP

Rogue

First Name
Heather
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Believe it or not some of these weird problems can be traced back to a weak battery. Have the dealership do a capacity check.
They said they checked the battery and it's fine.

OP
OP

Rogue

First Name
Heather
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
You are not alone. Others have reported on similar problems, especially possessed windshield wipers. Could be due to faulty aux battery system, either defective battery or problem with charging system. Could be loose ground or other loose connection somewhere.

There are other reports of similar problem on this forum that were fixed.
Interesting, because when I spoke with the Jeep reps, they haven't heard of this. I mentioned a safety issue as another poster suggested, and they immediately said they were escalating to tier 2. Waiting for a call back... I suggested to the dealership to look at the wires, but they didn't respond back to me.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
Check the cables on the negative battery terminal. I've noticed that moving one of the cables can loosen the nut holding it on.

Sponsored

jzerk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL
I also think that it might lead to a bad grounding problem.

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Interesting, because when I spoke with the Jeep reps, they haven't heard of this. I mentioned a safety issue as another poster suggested, and they immediately said they were escalating to tier 2. Waiting for a call back... I suggested to the dealership to look at the wires, but they didn't respond back to me.
They always say they never heard of it. One time I called, reported a problem. Called back, asked for the same person, asked if they heard of the exact same problem, they said no. I then pointed out that I called the day before and spoke to them and told them of the exact same problem. They said "oh, I forgot".

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR

My JL also had weird electrical related problems in the beginning. I opened the fuse box near the battery and found 50%+ of the fuses and relays were loose. You can tell by wiggling them to see they are loose, then push each one down and you hear a slight click or feel it seat in better. Problems went away after that. Most dealers won't think of this easy, 2 minute task to check for some weird reason.

OP
OP

Rogue

First Name
Heather
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I picked up the Jeep on Saturday, due to lack of faith in the dealership. Literally, the same day, the issue replicated itself. This time I took video. I am only showing 1:30 minutes of video, but I have much more. I'm hoping Jeep customer care tier two will call back tomorrow. I'll make sure to call them as well.

KCwrangler

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara JL
Mine did literally the exact same thing....bad aux battery

Make sure they are testing the aux battery properly. First time mine tested ok and they sent me down the road telling me nothing was wrong after my Jeep had to be towed in.

There is also a relay some people have had replaced that can be the root cause
Sponsored