Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU, 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
14 months later and my JLUR need the main and auxiliary batteries replaced. I know Arizona summers suck the life out of batteries, but this is a record. Anyone else having issues yet?
Sponsored

4xnaz

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
14 months later and my JLUR need the main and auxiliary batteries replaced. I know Arizona summers suck the life out of batteries, but this is a record. Anyone else having issues yet?
Coming up on my 14th month of AZ ownership as well. Nothing so far but id rather have it happen sooner than later for the warranty coverage.

47Jeepster

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR Diesel ... 2018 GC Summit
Occupation
Retired
Aux battery replaced at 10 months ... wouldn't hold a charge overnight ... almost stranded me on an off road trail. I now have a jumper wire to "remove" the aux battery if it fails and I really need to get the Jeep started.

In the past, two years was not an uncommon failure time frame for batteries used over the highway in the Arizona heat. Suspect that the bouncing and jostling from offroading will contribute to shorter replacement times.

PaPasJP

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I had to replace both batteries at about 14 months under warranty as well.

I worry that they won't last 2 years and need replacing again.

The service rep said the batteries are cheap China stuff and they are replacing them a lot.

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Batteries are junk anymore though I did find a local rebuilder for my riding lawnmower that lasted 7 years. No matter what brand or warranty they seem to last 3 years at best. I have a load tester and periodically test the CA and CCA values to see how they fall over time. When those values fall under 80% of the stamped value then it's best to replace the battery.

Sponsored

Go N 4LO

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 TJ
Yeah, the batteries on the JLs are garbage....lots of problems in states that aren't hot as hell like AZ. Definitely get the jumper wire so you can at least get off the trail.
What jumper wire?

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
I had to replace both batteries at about 14 months under warranty as well.

I worry that they won't last 2 years and need replacing again.

The service rep said the batteries are cheap China stuff and they are replacing them a lot.
Batteries are made in PA

Gropax

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S Mojito Green
i had to replace the battery in my mom's Fiat 500x after 20 months in Nevada for some reason FCA used some cheap ass batteries. only good thing was it was still under warranty bad thing was i had to wait 90 mins for them to try and charge it before they replaced it.

RangerRobAZ

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
This is disappointing to hear. My JK factory battery lasted 3.5 years in Arizona. Amazed me because all my other batteries died around 2 years here. I’ve already got the parts to make the jumper for my JL. Thanks for the heads up to expect both the batteries to die sooner than expected.

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
The last starter battery on my wife's Prius lasted like 7 years in Tucson, AZ. It's an expensive battery - OEM is AGM - but totally worth it.
Arizona eats cheap starter batteries. Can you get a good battery for a Jeep? You'd think FCA would put in good batteries to start with. hahahaha

Sponsored

47Jeepster

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR Diesel ... 2018 GC Summit
Occupation
Retired
Aux battery replaced at 10 months ... wouldn't hold a charge overnight ... almost stranded me on an off road trail. I now have a jumper wire to "remove" the aux battery if it fails and I really need to get the Jeep started.

In the past, two years was not an uncommon failure time frame for batteries used over the highway in the Arizona heat. Suspect that the bouncing and jostling from offroading will contribute to shorter replacement times.
Just got my Jeep back with both batteries having been replaced ... 4 months on the Aux and 14 months on the main battery. The Start/Stop system stopped working and the fault light came on full time. The dealer load checked the batteries and said they were okay ... said the Jeep needed a few start/drive/stop cycles before the light would reset. They must have that on a "pat answer card" someplace, 'cuz that's what they told me the last time the system went belly up. After some discussion, we agreed that I would drive it over the weekend and that they would work on it again on Monday when it came in for other work. Needless to say, the light was still on on Monday. Took them several days to find that one of the main breakers was blown. Changed it and everything seems to be working well.

The upside is that FCA is absorbing the pain ($$) for their installation of the stupid start/stop system.

Last edited:

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
Do you garage yours?

Tumbleweed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLU Auto 3.6L
Just had my Aux Battery and Alternator replaced on mine. 7k miles/5 months of ownership

paulrubin3

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Safari
I'm still trying to figure out why I'm only having problems when I'm flat towing the Jeep. 20K and one year and it starts up like clockwork but when I flat tow, even though there's a charging system that's part of the auxiliary braking system, the auxiliary battery that starts the JL gives me the Charging Aux switches not available message all too often and sometimes the sucker won't start at all BUT what's weird is that if I just let it sit for 40 minutes or so, the Jeep will start. I'm assuming that the larger battery is somehow charging the smaller battery. Jeep says everything in the electrical system tests out fine. The RV dealer who installed the tow plate, braking system, etc. of course doesn't want to step up and take responsibility. I'm going to go to war with them starting tomorrow. Obviously something isn't charging but it's complicated by the reality that it doesn't always happen. I've towed about 35 times ranging from 90 miles to 750 miles (over two days without disconnecting) mostly in the 300-400 mile per day range and I've seen issues often but not always. I'm 100% sure they did something wrong OR some component is malfunctioning but I need to tread lightly since I also have to deal with my motorhome issues from time to time.