Sponsored

JLUR vs G63 vs Jimny in off-road challenge [Carwow]

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD

The G did better then I thought, but you really need to have same driver in those tests. I like the G but the price is crazy and MB dealers are marking them up additionally...
Sponsored

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
160K, 50K and 20K in pounds wow the Suzuki did all that the big 4 wheelers and bested the Rubicon on the hill how about an extra 10 points for price?? Easy to blame drivers but come on you could have two of those little buggers in your driveway and cash in your pocket!!

Wish I hadn't watched that, don't think I want a Suzuki but come on!!

Go Jeep!!!

OP
OP

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
160K, 50K and 20K in pounds wow the Suzuki did all that the big 4 wheelers and bested the Rubicon on the hill how about an extra 10 points for price?? Easy to blame drivers but come on you could have two of those little buggers in your driveway and cash in your pocket!!

Wish I hadn't watched that, don't think I want a Suzuki but come on!!

Go Jeep!!!
I went to look at a G wagon today and of the 4 dealers in my area only 2 had 1 each in stock and were not offering test drives, I told them I don't purchase vehicles without a thorough test drive. price was $135 and $10k additional dealer markup, think I will pass on that for now....

Sponsored

weeitsmikelee

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Wrangler392; ‘20 F-Pace; '15 XL883N; '82 CX500
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
I went to look at a G wagon today and of the 4 dealers in my area only 2 had 1 each in stock and were not offering test drives, I told them I don't purchase vehicles without a thorough test drive. price was $135 and $10k additional dealer markup, think I will pass on that for now....
It’s a very capable vehicle. You can easily find the previous gen to test drive. IMO those look better (exterior) than the current one.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
JLUR needed a driver mod for that last hill

Why have the diffs locked and rev it that high too!?
My thoughts exactly, the guy obviously have zero experience in offroading.
Either put in 4H and just charge that hill, and let momentum do the work like he did with the othere 2.
Or leave it in 4L, lockers on, and crawl it.
He did neither.

Last edited:

InvictusManeo

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler
I’m on my way back from a vacation in Iceland. We reserved a Jimny and I was excited about it, but there were none left. They gave us a free “upgrade” to an AWD Romanian beer can called the Dacia Duster. It was one of the only disappointments of the trip though.
Some crazy Offroad cars there though. Tour vans on 46s and on the fly tire pressure changes. Landcruisers, Hiluxes, and Defenders on 35-40s all over the place. Saw 2JLURs, 1 JK and 1 CJ too. Renegades all over the place.

OP
OP

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
It’s a very capable vehicle. You can easily find the previous gen to test drive. IMO those look better (exterior) than the current one.
Funny, after leaving the MB dealership I got a call from the sales manager asking about my experience at the dealership and why I didn't purchase a vehicle (bought several cars there before) I told him the truth that I didn't like the no test drive policy of the G wagon, he apologized and said he would arrange the test drive for me.

So drove the new G for about 40 minutes, its a very nice SUV and feels like a bank vault when you close the door, I was surprised at the wind noise at highway speeds (about the same as the JLUR with hard top) the V8 has a nice growl and good low end torque, handles very well to be so heavy (it now has independent front suspension), things I didn't like it had no sunroof (felt like being in a cave), got some nasty looks from other motorist (people give that snob reaction) digital display on dash is complicated to get to basic information fast, sticker price of course, and MPG estimate at 11 city and 13 highway and requires 93 octane, and nobody waves at you, LOL!!! I find the JLUR a bit more fun to drive....

Sponsored

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
Paluss,

Hey sounds great, all that for "only" 150K, what's that two and a half JKUR's? Seeing you've had MB's before and feel great about them I guess I understand since I have had 27 Jeeps of all models since 1965! Sounds like the best thing is how the doors closed and the engine growl! lol

By the video I'm sure my Cherokee Trailhawk could have done all that, maybe even w/o the electric locker on? I know for sure my JLUS would not have performed like that JLUR on that hill, crap even the Jimmy aced it!!?? I agree with someone above, JLUR in 4 HI with some speed might have been best or with axles locked a slower crawl Oh well it wasn't me and I was not there... "just sayin"! I must say sometimes video's don't do the terrain justice Can sometimes make thins look tougher?

Actually the MB is in a class of it's own, oh ya, price wise!

Go Jeep!!!

Funny, after leaving the MB dealership I got a call from the sales manager asking about my experience at the dealership and why I didn't purchase a vehicle (bought several cars there before) I told him the truth that I didn't like the no test drive policy of the G wagon, he apologized and said he would arrange the test drive for me.

So drove the new G for about 40 minutes, its a very nice SUV and feels like a bank vault when you close the door, I was surprised at the wind noise at highway speeds (about the same as the JLUR with hard top) the V8 has a nice growl and good low end torque, handles very well to be so heavy (it now has independent front suspension), things I didn't like it had no sunroof (felt like being in a cave), got some nasty looks from other motorist (people give that snob reaction) digital display on dash is complicated to get to basic information fast, sticker price of course, and MPG estimate at 11 city and 13 highway and requires 93 octane, and nobody waves at you, LOL!!! I find the JLUR a bit more fun to drive....

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology

MIL has the last generation AMG G wagon. It's nice but really sort of a strange vehicle as trying to be rugged and luxe at the same time. Mileage is closer to 8 city if you drive it like the exhaust seduces you to do.

OP
OP

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Paluss,

Hey sounds great, all that for "only" 150K, what's that two and a half JKUR's? Seeing you've had MB's before and feel great about them I guess I understand since I have had 27 Jeeps of all models since 1965! Sounds like the best thing is how the doors closed and the engine growl! lol

By the video I'm sure my Cherokee Trailhawk could have done all that, maybe even w/o the electric locker on? I know for sure my JLUS would not have performed like that JLUR on that hill, crap even the Jimmy aced it!!?? I agree with someone above, JLUR in 4 HI with some speed might have been best or with axles locked a slower crawl Oh well it wasn't me and I was not there... "just sayin"! I must say sometimes video's don't do the terrain justice Can sometimes make thins look tougher?

Actually the MB is in a class of it's own, oh ya, price wise!

Go Jeep!!!
I agree 100%, I didn't really feel slighted when I got back in my JLUR after the test drive, having a vehicle that is fun to drive and that you really like makes all the difference in the world. I've owned a few vehicles that were beautiful but I was so worried about it being damaged that I worried more than I smiled. I do like the G and may own one down the road when I retire, but for now the JLUR is the perfect commuter for my downtown DC drive everyday and weekend fun and makes me smile...