Sponsored

JLUR Stolen: Help track it down!

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
B/c for some people, it's an INVESTMENT...a way to make revenue. You and I may not agree with it being sound, but if it's bringing in income (when the vehicle isn't stolen of course), who are we to judge?
A vehicle as an investment is only a good asset if the revenue generated is more than the monthly payment and insurance and Maintenance.
If you have factored in all those and it generates more than 25% above its revenue if not its pocket money at a risk. Also dont forget vehicle depreciation which is a big factor and net book value of the vehicle. And the tax on the low generated revenue.
So if you have done the proper homework then yes if not. Your taking a lost and no gain. Your only seeing the NOW and not the long term benefits. Just an eye opener. Enjoy
Sponsored

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
First off, don't presume to give me investment advice.

Second, I never said I thought it was a wise strategy. I don't; but that's b/c IMO, renting out performance or specialty vehicles is a bad idea as the renter may have no qualms about abusing it.

3rd, I merely pointed out that some people do this...with all the variables you just mentioned and they *claim* they are making good money doing so.

Lastly, I'll repeat: it ain't my money and it ain't yours....so it's not our business.
Ok, cool not yours not mine not OUR issue
Just a BAD decision

OP
OP
SoCalWrangler

SoCalWrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 2019
Occupation
Engineer/ Real Estate Agent
Vehicle Showcase
A vehicle as an investment is only a good asset if the revenue generated is more than the monthly payment and insurance and Maintenance.
If you have factored in all those and it generates more than 25% above its revenue if not its pocket money at a risk. Also dont forget vehicle depreciation which is a big factor and net book value of the vehicle. And the tax on the low generated revenue.
So if you have done the proper homework then yes if not. Your taking a lost and no gain. Your only seeing the NOW and not the long term benefits. Just an eye opener. Enjoy

The revenue generated by these rentals provides a higher then 9 CAP rate. Jeeps do not depreciate anywhere near what most are assuming in CA. Im not trying to sell anyone on this. I have made very good money off of rentals and dont intend to stop. Just thought Id document this entire process for those that ever reach a scenario where there vehicles are stolen. Or to express potential defects in renting out your vehicle on Getaround.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
The revenue generated by these rentals provides a higher then 9 CAP rate. Jeeps do not depreciate anywhere near what most are assuming in CA. Im not trying to sell anyone on this. I have made very good money off of rentals and dont intend to stop. Just thought Id document this entire process for those that ever reach a scenario where there vehicles are stolen. Or to express potential defects in renting out your vehicle on Getaround.
It's the internet. Ignore the trolls (you're doing a fine job at this actually, I don't need to tell you anything).

I agree it's not something I would do but if it works for you and your finances, great.

Anyway I really just wanted to say ignore the noise and please keep updating.

Gangplank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Willys 4dr
Build Thread
Link
higher than 9 CAP rate. Please provide the math behind your CAP rate. And take into account the time you spend working this investment strategy.

Sponsored

OP
OP
SoCalWrangler

SoCalWrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 2019
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
higher than 9 CAP rate. Please provide the math behind your CAP rate. And take into account the time you spend working this investment strategy.
I could go on all day explaining why this is a good/ bad investment. How about opening up another thread for that? PM me if you want "the numbers"

UPDATE REGARDING INSURANCE:

Got a quote for the vehicle all i can say for the quote is that the resale value is why I initially started with the Jeep!

Will disclose more as the process unfolds.

Just waiting for the payout.

OP
OP
SoCalWrangler

SoCalWrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 2019
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Update:

Got the payout for the vehicle. It came out to be higher then what I actually paid for he vehicle. On the hunt for another jeep!

If anyone knows a dealer that offers more then 5% off of invoice in CA, please let me know!

JO DYRT

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.clickonpc.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
IT Professional
Vehicle Showcase
Update:

Got the payout for the vehicle. It came out to be higher then what I actually paid for he vehicle. On the hunt for another jeep!

If anyone knows a dealer that offers more then 5% off of invoice in CA, please let me know!
Give Max a call at Tuttle Click, Irvine. He treated me great!

Sponsored

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
Update:

How much they give you?

OP
OP
SoCalWrangler

SoCalWrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 2019
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
How much they give you?
Wont post the actual price received but you could PM if youd want more info.

Besides that. Garaged the new one for a bit while The wife and I plan out a thanksgiving trip to the desert.

Heres a photo of the new jeep

white jeep_LI.jpg

Miloe

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Good to hear insurance took care of you.
I guess renting out the first Jeep was a positive money making venture.

Certainly an interesting idea for generating income.
I'm assuming you take a new vehicle, rent it out until it nears the end of the factory warranty, then trade it in on another new vehicle and repeat? Just wondering what kind of shape the vehicles are in by the end of the 3year/36k, or if you've gotten to that point yet. The concern of no one treats your car the way you treat your car.

cjaama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Just wondering what kind of shape the vehicles are in by the end of the 3year/36k, or if you've gotten to that point yet. The concern of no one treats your car the way you treat your car.
Between a conscientious owner and the fact that vehicles, particularly these vehicles, are meant to withstand serious abuse by owners, I'm sure it's in at least as good of shape as 90% of vehicles at the end of three years.
Few people in the world would ever treat a car as poorly as my wife would (prior to me coming into her life anyway). Dealers would happily take her car back at the end of the lease and advertise it as a one owner car with only 36kmi. I doubt they'd mention that the oil wasn't changed once in those three years, nor was a single pot hole swerved, not cleaned inside or out once... And after a deep cleaning, some unwitting buyer gladly paid up for their "previously loved" Civic.

OP
OP
SoCalWrangler

SoCalWrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 2019
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Good to hear insurance took care of you.
I guess renting out the first Jeep was a positive money making venture.

Certainly an interesting idea for generating income.
I'm assuming you take a new vehicle, rent it out until it nears the end of the factory warranty, then trade it in on another new vehicle and repeat? Just wondering what kind of shape the vehicles are in by the end of the 3year/36k, or if you've gotten to that point yet. The concern of no one treats your car the way you treat your car.

Ill be driving the vehicle personally for the first 5000 miles and enjoy that new car smell. After that Ill have it rented for around 5 years or till the powertrain warranty goes out. Once that occurs. going to sell it on craigslist with full disclosure that the the vehicle has been rented out but keep this in mind. I have my mechanics check the vehicle every month and ensure that all fluids and mechanical components are taken care of. Additionally, the ride sharing platforms forbid offroading on rental vehicles and allow owners to charge if any traces are found of off-roading. In the off chance that one is found offroading. I will replace all fluids immediately and have all mechanical components inspected for wear and tear and billed to the renter.
Sponsored