JLUR Stolen: Help track it down!

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
A large chunk of new units are going into AirBnB, and there isn't a lot of available land in Toronto proper now. Supply and Demand, while I agree it's insane, it's what the market is doing. Throw in most people are stuck with incomes that have been flat for decades, and entry-level work doesn't exist anymore (IE livable wages), this is what happens.

It's not massive wealth in localized areas, it's massive wealth, period.
This obviously isn't the place for this conversation, so I'll just say I disagree, slightly.
Sponsored

OP
OP
SoCalWrangler

SoCalWrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 2019
Occupation
Engineer/ Real Estate Agent
Vehicle Showcase
@SoCalWrangler

Sorry about your jeep man...

Was the $70 bucks or less per day worth it?

upload_2019-10-9_10-8-55.png

Looking at a daily rate doesn’t really show the whole story as silly as it may look.

Average rentals in my area go for about 1100 a month, that means I make 500 bucks a month not including payments. I’ll give it another shot. Praying I don’t make another thread identical to this. Will keep you all informed if anyone is interested in regards to the insurance claims and what occurs

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
To rent or not to rent. Agree or not, it is his personal choice. Don't blame the victim. This didn't happen cause he rented his Rubicon, it happened because of criminal activity. OP's Jeep got stolen by a low life. Tomorrow, somebody might break into your house and steal shit (hopefully not).

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara (Granite)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
Looking at a daily rate doesn’t really show the whole story as silly as it may look.

Average rentals in my area go for about 1100 a month, that means I make 500 bucks a month not including payments. I’ll give it another shot. Praying I don’t make another thread identical to this. Will keep you all informed if anyone is interested in regards to the insurance claims and what occurs
Hope everything turns around for you OP. sucks.

But just curious, if it's always rented, when do you actually get to drive it? lol

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

To rent or not to rent. Agree or not, it is his personal choice. Don't blame the victim. This didn't happen cause he rented his Rubicon, it happened because of criminal activity. OP's Jeep got stolen by a low life. Tomorrow, somebody might break into your house and steal shit (hopefully not).
agree with most of what youre saying but the huge difference is here you are handing someone your keys vs someone breaking in.

either way, it sucks. the idea sounds interesting. especially if it works out in your favor where other people can be making your payments for you. just gotta keep your fingers crossed that you dont have a situation like this or someone wrecks it. im sure someone absconding with the vehicle is super rare.

OP please keep us posted how Turo/Liberty takes care of you. im sure others viewing this thread are interested and it will also be out there on the web for the world to see as well. best of luck to you and if i were you id already be on jeeps website building a new one lol. and the positive here is that it shouldnt affect your insurance record like it would if it was going through your own insurance.

Sponsored

Rubicollie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ocean Blue JLUR
Occupation
Veterinarian

Please do continue to share updates. You never know who may go through a similar scenario and be looking for how to expect the situation to unfold. Hope your Jeep either makes it back to you or you get enough to replace it.

KrispyKotex

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr Rubicon Snazzberry
Occupation
USN Submariner (ret), IT Analyst/Network Engineer
At first, I was wondering why anyone would rent a vehicle. After reading some of the comments, I understand it a bit more. A car dealer who sells corvettes should not get too attached to a particular one on the lot. It's a business, and he/she needs to stay in business. Renting a vehicle would have its upside if you look at it from this perspective. My brother told me something recently concerning a family death. A family heirloom gold ring might mean a lot to me sentimentally, but to the pawn broker or jewelry store it's worth so many $ per ounce. Best not to get too hung up on sentimental things.

Hyper

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 hypergreen wrangler
I considered exactly this. I still am. Buy a Sahara with a few options, a 3” lift and some 35” tires. Throw on a couple of lights and rent it for $100/day. I’m sure here in the Houston area it would be rented almost every weekend throughout most of the year. Make the payments and insurance and have money left over. It’s not my everyday ride so I’m not as concerned about “strangers driving my Jeep” that seems to bother most people so much.
According to Turo. A base wrangler is the top earning car.
Spoke to my CEO she said no f-ing way! you now how you are about cars.. where are you going to put it? Which car are you going to sell? blah blah blah.... :punch:
maybe ill ask again in a few months! ;)
If you got the space and can deal with the risk go for it just another business venture IMO.
https://turo.com/en-us/top-earning-cars

TXJeepScientist

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Nissan Pathfinder, 08 Honda Civic, 07 Toyota Avalon, 94 Jeep Cherokee, 10 Saab 9.3T

Good Luck with the insurance claims.

Sponsored

COJLGirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4...
Hey guys,

So i rent my Jeep on car sharing apps like Turo and getaround. Recently a guy rented it on getaround and fled to mexico.

Already filed a police report and claim with Getaround but cant help but wonder if I can remotely shut it down. I have the 8.4" Uconnect system with SiriusXM Guardian. Is there any way to have the authorities use the tracking system to remotely shut it off and retrieve the vehicle? According to the tracker, Its currently about 20 miles from west of Phoenix. I’m in Phoenix and will definitely be on the lookout.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Updated with photo, last location and license plate:

stolenJL.jpg

cbc297a5-7fce-4f55-ac7c-6b755e5159bd-jpeg.jpg

8a719add-6b1b-4e3d-a98d-44f362acdd2d-png.png

232d2c6b-7b5b-432f-8dbb-92a17edd67d5-png.png

OP
OP
SoCalWrangler

SoCalWrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 2019
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Hope everything turns around for you OP. sucks.

But just curious, if it's always rented, when do you actually get to drive it? lol
On the ride sharing platforms you can block out dates when youd like to use it. I had a moab trip planned for December but i guess im delaying that for a month or two.

Will indeed keep you all updated regarding the claims for this. Thanks everyone for the support on this. Hope to be placed in a 2020 JLUR as soon as feasible! :jk:

ALEX-4LO

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR & 2020 JLUR - Project JL's

Was not down playing what your are doing at all. I say go for it. I'm intrigued. My neighbor rents out his Tesla and swears he makes money and pays his car payment every month renting it out.

After doing some research it seems like the wrangler does very well on turo. Keep us updated.

OP
OP
SoCalWrangler

SoCalWrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 2019
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
How do you feel about a Gladiator? Would it rent out for a higher price than the JLU?
would consider a gladiator but am even more hesitant on renting a truck, significantly higher chance of someone overloading it in the rear.

plus, those gladiators are whales on the trail! Had a Tacoma DCLB not too long ago which was similar to the gladiators length and that thing get caught up on everything.

gregus73

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0, 2021 Suburban Z71
Occupation
Stuff
This sounds very cool to have someone make your payments, plus some extra cash.

I just know how fragile cars can be. I hit a really bad pothole in my Macan and it cost me about $2000.00 in repairs to bring it back to spec. :swear:
I sometimes feel that I have to baby it with the rims and high performance tires.

The Wrangler would hold up better as a rental and is much more forgiving.

Good luck to you and do keep us posted on the outcome.
Sponsored