bslaberge

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR w/ Sky One Touch Power Top
Vehicle Showcase
LOL...that's hilarious. Not for the environment obviously....but seriously...why would someone bother?
The only way to guarantee that that haunted car will not come back to kill you is to anchor it out in the desert with concrete.
Sponsored

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
I booked my V41 recall appointment yesterday and had nightmares last night about the service guys driving my Jeep, much less renting it out to perfect strangers. There was a guy on the Subaru forum while back complaining that his renter burnt up the clutch on his STi - I just don't understand why anyone would think that this is a good idea? It's like complaining that your wife left you for some guy she met while you were pimping her out on backdoor ;)

Sean K.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, TJ, 4Runner, Cummins tow rig, 2 Tube Frame Buggies, Lotus SC Elise, Mazda 3, RAV4 Hybrid
I don't know why people keep harping on the renting the jeep out thing. Turo is a real thing and has been for quite awhile. There are a lot of people who rent out their cars, and get rental cars, through that service. A buddy of mine has 3 Mercedes on it, and on some similar system he rents out a camper (that can be towed with one of his Mercedes). He also rents out his house on airbnb. He's tried to get me in on this, he seems to make a decent amount of money with this game, but it's just not for me. I like my things to be mine. But there are a lot of people who don't have the same emotional attachment to things, and they see these things as a way to earn some cash while you're not using them. Those people aren't wrong, they're just different than I am. OP is well covered by insurance, they won't be out anything other than the time without a Jeep bringing in extra income.
Agreed. It's free contract and free association between consenting adults of sound mind...both principles upon which the nation was founded. .

One of the potential problems I see is SAS companies that cost shift the capital investment (and often, initially the insurance as well) onto the individual owner...but again, he's an adult, he *should* do his due diligence before agreeing to the contract.

Knowing how renters treat rental vehicles, there's no way I'd personally engage in the behavior, especially with a high performance or offroad inclined vehicle with high maintenance and repair costs. If you're a rarity that keeps their vehicles long term (I do)...then it makes even less sense. But that is my perspective, not anyone else's.

A lot of people today are instant gratification geared and in this case the OP admits he couldn't afford it otherwise. Again, it's not anyone else's business how someone chooses to spend their money or plan their financial future, BUT another important founding principle is the ideal of free speech (we don't have it on a privately owned forum), which dictates that others are free to criticize or offer unsolicited advice about another's financial decisions particularly once they broadcast them publicly.

Apologies for the seemingly "preachy" post, but it seems most Americans have a really hard time tracing things back to their underlying principles. It's my opinion that is a failure on our parts to critically think....something we should all spend more time doing about all manner of things since our positions on events and policies *should* be consistent with our principles and ideals. If they're not, they should be examined and re-evaluated if not scrapped entirely.

OP
OP
SoCalWrangler

SoCalWrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 2019
Occupation
Engineer/ Real Estate Agent
Vehicle Showcase
Bro I’m sorry, but if you have to rent your Jeep out to pay for it, you can’t afford it. That’s too risky an investment. That’s like buying a house you can’t afford and renting it out to pay for it. Tenants are awful.

To be honest with you, I could very easily pay cash for the jeep 5x over without an issue. Its more of my mindset as an investor. I don't buy personal cars unless they are worth under 3 percent of my net worth. I have a hobby for offroading and this fits perfectly for it. Will i most likely buy one again as a rental? Yes but I will exercise significantly more caution when renting it out. Once the vehicle is paid off completely, Id do an engine swap or sell it with the disclaimer of it being rented out. At that point the jeep maintains enough value to purchase a new one with very little down.

I wasn't posting this as a feel bad story, just wanted advice from those that may have had their vehicle stolen before or have used the tracking system that UConnect offer.

Does it suck that it was stolen? yes of course.

Is it something I had accounted for? yes, every business has its shortcomings

Last edited:

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
But what if I really want to read more sanctimonious posts by random unsympathetic strangers telling the OP exactly how foolish it was for him to choose to rent out his Jeep, that they’d never do that in a million years, and how he shouldn’t have done it? Where can I go for those?

We can disagree on whether it’s prudent to rent out your Jeep and the risks involved, but is this really the time and place for it in this thread? Is it really necessary to kick a guy in the balls while he’s rolling on the ground from being gut punched? Some of these posts are thoughtless and brutal IMO, and unnecessarily so. This is where we are as a society.

OP, I hope you get your Jeep back intact although that’s a less realistic hope with each passing day. The next best thing is an easy time getting fair reimbursement for it. Maybe you’ll love the next one even more. And you’re not stupid for hiring out your Jeep. I rented a JKU on Turo for a weekend to determine if a Jeep was for me before purchasing my JL. I treated that guys Jeep like it was mine. I had it detailed before I returned it.

Good luck!

Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
The unfortunate thing about the internet is that it veers into the weeds far sooner than even normal conversation face-to-face.

I too can be guilty of sending threads into the weeds, not saying I'm above this.

What I HAVE learned and the OP will hopefully learn from this thread is to give as little background as possible. He should have just said "my Jeep was stolen, here is where I've been able to track it."

Any detail - no matter how seemingly innocuous - will be picked apart by a critic or a troll.

Just the facts, ma'am

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

Bro I’m sorry, but if you have to rent your Jeep out to pay for it, you can’t afford it. That’s too risky an investment. That’s like buying a house you can’t afford and renting it out to pay for it. Tenants are awful.
Here in the GTA and in Vancouver, that's exactly what people are doing to afford a house. Sublet/sub rent rooms. A single-detached is hitting $1m CAD in Toronto proper. Rental properties are basically non-existent and 400SqF condos are 400K+. Hell, new townhomes in my area are starting at 700k. My 20year old townhome floor plan is selling for +740k.

Hyper

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 hypergreen wrangler
To be honest with you, I could very easily pay cash for the jeep 5x over without an issue. Its more of my mindset as an investor. I don't buy personal cars unless they are worth under 3 percent of my net worth. I have a hobby for offroading and this fits perfectly for it. Will i most likely buy one again as a rental? Yes but I will exercise significantly more caution when renting it out. Once the vehicle is paid off completely, Id do an engine swap or sell it with the disclaimer of it being rented out. At that point the jeep maintains enough value to purchase a new one with very little down.

I wasn't posting this as a feel bad story, just wanted advice from those that may have had their vehicle stolen before or have used the tracking system that UConnect offer.

Does it suck that it was stolen? yes of course.

Is it something I had accounted for? yes, every business has its shortcomings

Hope it works out for you.
I must admit I considered buying another jeep and just renting it out. My JK I'm too attached too...
If I can buy/lease a new one and have a new "toy" for almost free why not? Plenty of exotics listed on Turo so why not a jeep!

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Hope it works out for you.
I must admit I considered buying another jeep and just renting it out. My JK I'm too attached too...
If I can buy/lease a new one and have a new "toy" for almost free why not? Plenty of exotics listed on Turo so why not a jeep!
I considered exactly this. I still am. Buy a Sahara with a few options, a 3” lift and some 35” tires. Throw on a couple of lights and rent it for $100/day. I’m sure here in the Houston area it would be rented almost every weekend throughout most of the year. Make the payments and insurance and have money left over. It’s not my everyday ride so I’m not as concerned about “strangers driving my Jeep” that seems to bother most people so much.

TXJeepScientist

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Nissan Pathfinder, 08 Honda Civic, 07 Toyota Avalon, 94 Jeep Cherokee, 10 Saab 9.3T
I booked my V41 recall appointment yesterday and had nightmares last night about the service guys driving my Jeep, much less renting it out to perfect strangers. There was a guy on the Subaru forum while back complaining that his renter burnt up the clutch on his STi - I just don't understand why anyone would think that this is a good idea? It's like complaining that your wife left you for some guy she met while you were pimping her out on backdoor ;)
"Pimping Ain't Easy" as the adage goes.

Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Sure it's the place for it...otherwise you advocate censorship.
I do advocate censorship. When utilized intelligently and with discretion. But I didn’t and don’t say that it’s applicable here. I’m advocating self censorship. Listening to ones conscience and exercising good judgment. It can’t be regulated.

Maybe it’s from years of moderating Internet forums where keyboard warriors tend to type things toward one another that they’d often never say to someone’s face. Or sometimes they’re just idiots and think it’s OK to post things that are inappropriate, like someone’s personal info or threats of violence. I blame the Internet. And millennials.

UDUBJL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon 2.0T
This was a business for the OP. He stated he had several cars that he was using. Basically a Budget Rent a Car. Those obviously make money or there wouldn't be so many of them. Quit bashing the guy.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Here in the GTA and in Vancouver, that's exactly what people are doing to afford a house. Sublet/sub rent rooms. A single-detached is hitting $1m CAD in Toronto proper. Rental properties are basically non-existent and 400SqF condos are 400K+. Hell, new townhomes in my area are starting at 700k. My 20year old townhome floor plan is selling for +740k.
And that’s unsustainable. It’s practices like this that lead to rental creep and massive wealth inequality growth in localized areas.

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

And that’s unsustainable. It’s practices like this that lead to rental creep and massive wealth inequality growth in localized areas.
A large chunk of new units are going into AirBnB, and there isn't a lot of available land in Toronto proper now. Supply and Demand, while I agree it's insane, it's what the market is doing. Throw in most people are stuck with incomes that have been flat for decades, and entry-level work doesn't exist anymore (IE livable wages), this is what happens.

It's not massive wealth in localized areas, it's massive wealth, period.
Sponsored