JLUR Stolen: Help track it down!

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Hey guys to those curious of about the whole situation. This is the last location that I got. Here is a photo of it near maple springs trail near my place... looking for my registration to find the license number

BAE1B8AA-6876-42BA-A8E4-FF4E5CB43A58.jpeg

456BC19D-20DB-4B3B-9A6C-694EFBC06E3E.png
Did you blast the horns? All night long?

OP
OP
SoCalWrangler

SoCalWrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 2019
Occupation
Engineer/ Real Estate Agent
Vehicle Showcase
Found a photo from the App with my license plate on so here the number!
8LPC446.

ive tried the horn function many times to no avail

CBC297A5-7FCE-4F55-AC7C-6B755E5159BD.jpeg

OP
OP
SoCalWrangler

SoCalWrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 2019
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I barely trust strange people to stand around in my general vicinity, much less to let them drive off in my Jeep.
normally Iā€™m 100% about this but my buddy has his JL on the platform and makes 150% of his payments on it. At that point, having a vehicle I can offroad when I want to and then pay for itself is a bonus. Iā€™m very strict about my budgets so I wouldnā€™t have been able to buy a Jeep like this unless I had over a million saved. This rental business is the only realistic way for me to afford a nice Jeep while still putting money towards my investment portfolio.

Here is an update in location, has moved much since yesterday

8A719ADD-6B1B-4E3D-A98D-44F362ACDD2D.png

232D2C6B-7B5B-432F-8DBB-92A17EDD67D5.png

KrispyKotex

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr Rubicon Snazzberry
Occupation
USN Submariner (ret), IT Analyst/Network Engineer
If you rent your Jeep to strangers, and then that person runs over someone, would you be liable for renting it to someone you did not know? Or would the app be liable? Does this app perform a background check on renters? Depending on the lawyer, this sounds like a liability in the same way that giving your gun to someone might be.

Sponsored

Scott D Hall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sting-Gray Rubicon 2.0L Turbo, 2.5" Mopar Lift w/Fox Shocks, Rock-Slider PowerSteps, BigBoy Seat Rails / 2013 Jeep Rubicon 10th Anniversary (Son's car) / 2019 Porsche Cayenne (Wife's Rocket) / 2019 Skeeter SX250
The sad thing is that there are more of these stories out there that we don't hear about... I always wondered how these work. I don't even like to valet park my vehicles. I hope you get your Jeep back and it's in good shape!

I am like the other guys, did you blast the horn all night long!?

OP
OP
SoCalWrangler

SoCalWrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 2019
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
If you rent your Jeep to strangers, and then that person runs over someone, would you be liable for renting it to someone you did not know? Or would the app be liable? Does this app perform a background check on renters? Depending on the lawyer, this sounds like a liability in the same way that giving your gun to someone might be.
I am fully covered according to a bunch of hosts of the ride sharing app which is reassuring but you canā€™t get past getting attached to these dang Jeeps! I normally call my Jeep my second wife but this one was considered my friend with benefits.

I do blast the horn whenever I get free time but to no resolution...

KrispyKotex

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr Rubicon Snazzberry
Occupation
USN Submariner (ret), IT Analyst/Network Engineer
Thanks SoCal. Was curious. :)

JKool

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda CRV - 2003 Ford Expedition
Out of curiosity. You have a location pinpointed, so have any law enforcement been out to the site to recover the vehicle? Obviously I wouldn't suggest that you go there yourself like a vigilante, but just wondering what law enforcement is saying.

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
Long story short our previous BMW 5GT was stolen off our driveway in the Netherlands. It was 4 years old and we bought it used. We had insurance through BMW EU and due to the original new sale price of the car we had to have one of those tracking devices installed as an insurance requirement - also costing $$$. This was touted as the top of the line, could disable the car if it was stolen, had a tracking device, and if they couldnā€™t ā€œseeā€ it for 36 hours (incase it was deactivated) we got a phone call. Bla bla bla, 5:30 AM car gone. We heard NOTHING. The tracking company couldnā€™t see the car, it showed still in our drive way.

The worst part? They were not even surprised. Your keyless entry key is constantly sending out signals to look for your car. Apparently crooks buy this device for a few hundred bucks on Amazon, stand at your front door and read out the code from your key. Then they copy the code onto a blank key, and take your car, drive off and disable the tracking device.

They even said these types of cars are usually stolen on order and end up with the tracker pinging in Africa a year or two later.

I was pissed for weeks. We drove A LOT for our business and this was the best traveling car weā€™d ever had. We replaced the car with the insurance company but itā€™s not the same. I still get upset at the idea of someone else driving my car - stolen.

Keep your keyless entry keys in an old tin can when you are home. To know if its a good one, put your phone in there and have someone call you. No ring, good thing.
I know this is a big thing in Britain. I didn't know it was a thing in the Netherlands.

I saw a story in a British newspaper about BMW's being stolen by thieves. They would stand outside of a victim's house with a device that could read the signal. They then opened up the car and drove away. No forced entry or anything like that.

They showed security footage from the home owner's camera. The thieves where dressed from head to toe so the footage was useless.

Here is another article from a British newspaper.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-...-most-stolen-and-recovered-2018-a8798291.html

Sponsored

Miloe

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
That's not Mexico? Is the rental guy over his time limit to return the Jeep? Maybe he's out wheeling it?

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18ā€™ Toyota 4Runner
This is dumb. So you have a location of the jeep and haven't called the police to go get it for you yet? Whats the hold up? Also renting a vehicle to strangers has to be the stupidest thing I've ever heard no offense.

OP
OP
SoCalWrangler

SoCalWrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 2019
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
This is dumb. So you have a location of the jeep and haven't called the police to go get it for you yet? Whats the hold up? Also renting a vehicle to strangers has to be the stupidest thing I've ever heard no offense.
How about i explain this before you jump to a demeaning conclusion.

1. I have called the police, they have requested a final notice that is sent from rental companies when vehicles are not returned. The rental company is reaching out authorities and Sirius Guardian for this. The rental company has claimed it as stolen and I will be receiving a reimbursement for my losses(total loss on the jeep)

2. if you read Post 38...

normally Iā€™m 100% about this but my buddy has his JL on the platform and makes 150% of his payments on it. At that point, having a vehicle I can offroad when I want to and then pay for itself is a bonus. Iā€™m very strict about my budgets so I wouldnā€™t have been able to buy a Jeep like this unless I had over a million saved. This rental business is the only realistic way for me to afford a nice Jeep while still putting money towards my investment portfolio.
Is renting for everyone? Hell no but does it make sense financially? normally yes. You have to detach yourself from the vehicle which is difficult for many to do.

sjl136

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Willys 2dr, ā€˜90 YJ, '22 4Runner
I know this is a big thing in Britain. I didn't know it was a thing in the Netherlands.

I saw a story in a British newspaper about BMW's being stolen by thieves. They would stand outside of a victim's house with a device that could read the signal. They then opened up the car and drove away. No forced entry or anything like that.

They showed security footage from the home owner's camera. The thieves where dressed from head to toe so the footage was useless.

Here is another article from a British newspaper.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-...-most-stolen-and-recovered-2018-a8798291.html
And that is how the police think my friend's JLUR was stolen in the middle of the day from a parking lot. Only took the thieves a few minutes and when he came back out 10 minutes later, the Jeep was gone. The police said it would be in a shipping container in a few days, and then on its way to a new home far, far away.
Sponsored