Sponsored

JLUR Stolen: Help track it down!

Robs JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Hey guys,

So i rent my Jeep on car sharing apps like Turo and getaround. Recently a guy rented it on getaround and fled to mexico.

Already filed a police report and claim with Getaround but cant help but wonder if I can remotely shut it down. I have the 8.4" Uconnect system with SiriusXM Guardian. Is there any way to have the authorities use the tracking system to remotely shut it off and retrieve the vehicle? According to the tracker, Its currently about 20 miles from west of Phoenix.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

That sucks and hopefully it's found in 1 piece. Doesn't those rental sites have the renters I.D. so the police know who it is. Also is insurance covering it since it was being used as a rental?
Sponsored

Mwags

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler unlimited JLU Sport S
Hey guys,

So i rent my Jeep on car sharing apps like Turo and getaround. Recently a guy rented it on getaround and fled to mexico.

Already filed a police report and claim with Getaround but cant help but wonder if I can remotely shut it down. I have the 8.4" Uconnect system with SiriusXM Guardian. Is there any way to have the authorities use the tracking system to remotely shut it off and retrieve the vehicle? According to the tracker, Its currently about 20 miles from west of Phoenix.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Updated with photo, last location and license plate:

stolenJL.jpg

cbc297a5-7fce-4f55-ac7c-6b755e5159bd-jpeg.jpg

8a719add-6b1b-4e3d-a98d-44f362acdd2d-png.png

232d2c6b-7b5b-432f-8dbb-92a17edd67d5-png.png
I guess my question is Why would anyone rent their prized Wrangler to a stranger?..

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I guess my question is Why would anyone rent their prized Wrangler to a stranger?..
It's always about money.

My question is: why would anyone want a stolen vehicle back? By now, 3 cats and a homeless guy have been sleeping in it.

PAUL HARRIS

First Name
Baja Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JLU
Sorry to hear. We are in Baja and a jeep like that will stand out.
The Uconnect is useless down here. I can use VPN manipulation for everything except the remote and location parts.

Sponsored

OP
OP
SoCalWrangler

SoCalWrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 2019
Occupation
Engineer/ Real Estate Agent
Vehicle Showcase
It's always about money.

My question is: why would anyone want a stolen vehicle back? By now, 3 cats and a homeless guy have been sleeping in it.
At this point i dont but it would be interesting to see what the buyback would be considering stolen vehicles carry a salvage title. If it was below 15K ( a guy can dream right?) then Id buy it back and build it up!

Durango

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, 2019 Ram 1500 Quadcab 4X4, 2018 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 Charger SRT, 2018 American Dream, 2017 Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4X4, 2020 Redwood 3951MB, 2019 Mercedes 4WD Van
Wow - sadly I suppose, this thread has been one of the more interesting I've read on the forum in awhile - at the OP's expense.
I have to say, what really made it intriguing was the OP's posts sharing where the locator said it was (I winter out there - a few months from now and I might have headed out to look myself - yes, fully armed), and then the willingness of some close enough to go look for it, to go look for it! What a community we have, eh? Sure we've got trolls and jerks - and some of the most knowledgeable and nicest people too. Thanks for a nice read.

Gangplank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Willys 4dr
Build Thread
Link
Status update??

I’m thinking this thing has been parted out already & they ditched the transponder in the desert.

Rploaded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Is it still trackable? I wonder if someone just got it stuck and it’s frame deep in sand.

Sponsored

OP
OP
SoCalWrangler

SoCalWrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 2019
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Just updated the tracker with it stating that it is still in the area. Getaround is still processing the claim. We should get an update relatively soon as to the payout and such. Will keep you all posted.

1DA745A6-14E8-449D-B755-4D27C7140CB3.png

Rploaded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Just updated the tracker with it stating that it is still in the area. Getaround is still processing the claim. We should get an update relatively soon as to the payout and such. Will keep you all posted.

1DA745A6-14E8-449D-B755-4D27C7140CB3.png
I would call the state police with that Information not the local. That appears to still be in AZ.

If it’s still trackable it’s likely in okay condition and retrievable. If they wanted it dead they would have put it into a container and shipped it by now.

OP
OP
SoCalWrangler

SoCalWrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 2019
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I would call the state police with that Information not the local. That appears to still be in AZ.

If it’s still trackable it’s likely in okay condition and retrievable. If they wanted it dead they would have put it into a container and shipped it by now.
A Fellow forum member drove out there exactly where the Jeep was stated to be by unconnect with nothing to be found. See previous posts.

Rploaded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
A Fellow forum member drove out there exactly where the Jeep was stated to be by unconnect with nothing to be found. See previous posts.

I understand that and did read the previous members posts, but the location it’s showing especially in that area is approximate. I would setup a 1-2 mi search area and run a grid or get a drone up in the air.

In that area I bet it did a drug or person run and was abandoned.