Sponsored

JLUR stock suspension, stock wheels, will 35’s fit without rubbing at full flex?

Beancooker

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
General Manager
Another thread about 35’s and fitment (yes, I searched)
I’ll start off by saying I searched. I have spent a couple hours reading a lot about 35’s and fitment. There are questions that are still unanswered. I kept searching for the answers but couldn’t find one.

I have a 2021 JLUR. Bone stock. I don’t want to lift it. Again, I don’t want a lift. I know, I’m the crazy one here.

I want to keep my stock wheels. From a price point, and they have grown on me. I do wish the little red Jeep’s weren’t on the wheels, but whatever. I am keeping the stock wheels.

I have read that 35’s will fit with no lift and stock wheels. Or they will fit with stock wheels and a spacer.

I have read many posts that they don’t rub. No rubbing. Life is great, sailing the seas of cheese with 35’s and everything works in a Rubicon with stock suspension and stock wheels.

None of these posts mention how these fit when off road. when off road and sway bar is disconnected, and tires are getting stuffed, will it rub?

Will a spacer cure this issue?

I watched Lite Brites video from when they first got their Wrangler “Stepchild” and their first video with it, it had 35’s and 1.5” spacers. While they beat the piss out of the Wrangler that day, they didn’t say if it was rubbing or not.

I am off road pretty much every weekend. I can’t have it rubbing on every trail trip or my wife will lose her mind. I probably would too as that would be annoying.

The long running thread “35’s No Lift” Doesn’t have a single reply that answers my specific setup, which is bone stock suspension, wheels, and Off Road. I’m not adding 35’s to be a mall crawler.

This is the closest I have come to finding my answer.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...some-advice-i’ve-searched.59276/#post-1274118

If you have read this long winded post, thank you.

TLDR: Can a stock JLUR run 35’s on stock wheels and suspension (with or without 1.5” spacers) without rubbing when off road and at full flex?
Sponsored

Last edited:

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!

dustdriver

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
None of these posts mention how these fit when off road. when off road and sway bar is disconnected, and tires are getting stuffed, will it rub?
Yes, it will.
I went through the same searching awhile back.
Being able to FIT a 35 is one thing, but being able to stuff them off-road without any modification is another thing entirely.

The stock 33's barely fit when off road, sway bar disconnected, and truly stuffed (not just "quite a bit of flex"). Check this video out (keep in mind, the tires in this video are 33's, not 35's):

Last edited:

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Without spacers it looks (from the video above) that increasing bumpstops &/or removing the under fender from the top Rubicon fender piece would be your options without going to any aftermarket parts. AFAIK when you take off that under fender you still have to add support brackets, so it's not a one&done.

OP
OP
Beancooker

Beancooker

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
General Manager
Thank you for the replies. I guess the thread I found where people said they don’t rub off road, aren’t off roading the same way some of us do.

First two pics are from the first outing with the Jeep. The other three pics are from today.

Jeep Wrangler JL JLUR stock suspension, stock wheels, will 35’s fit without rubbing at full flex? 94189F72-D4F7-46E0-BD1C-7EA61F99867A
Jeep Wrangler JL JLUR stock suspension, stock wheels, will 35’s fit without rubbing at full flex? 0A2B6CB4-25E7-48E5-884D-A20F279E7117
Jeep Wrangler JL JLUR stock suspension, stock wheels, will 35’s fit without rubbing at full flex? 6A820F43-C4DF-4C00-A7B8-CB3DFBF60555
Jeep Wrangler JL JLUR stock suspension, stock wheels, will 35’s fit without rubbing at full flex? F5BBC9FA-DF11-4732-8109-4F10F860A181
Jeep Wrangler JL JLUR stock suspension, stock wheels, will 35’s fit without rubbing at full flex? 8E5D9BE7-EC54-4282-BE0A-29F83AA17427

Sponsored

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Looks like 34’s might go then. From that tire height of 32.6 (iirc) to a 285/75/17 at 33.8”, taking half of that might be one finger’s worth right there.

Great video and thread. So... thinking out loud I have a Sahara that has a Rubicon suspension, Rubicon fenders, 3/4” spacer lift that JUST gets my heavier front back up to pre-winch height, another 3/4” spacer lift out back for off-setting loading on trips, and 1” hubcentric wheel spacers all around...so only a 1/4” further away than stock from the Rubicon inner fender liners. I think that would be RIGHT at the edge and tolerable. A heat gun might be enough to fix some minor rubbing.

Seems for a showroom stock Rubicon, maybe 34’s are the absolute limit when disconnected for no or easily correctable rubbing?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Beancooker

Beancooker

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
General Manager
I finally had a moment to watch the video. Pretty cut and dry. while I want 35’s, and they may “fit”, they won’t work for me going off road. I enjoy hitting too many fun obstacles to give up articulation.

hockeynut258

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I’m in the same boat and find comments here and there about rubbing with 315/70-17’s or 35’s all stock. But mostly people saying how well they fit...

thanks for posting the question as it’s a bit misleading about fitting 35’s.

RubiRed

First Name
Richie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR, Odyssey, S2000, 911
Vehicle Showcase
Couple videos of the KO2 315/70r17s so it's not exactly 35". You can decide if they're full flex and make your own judgement.

4 Door:

2 Door:

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Looks like 34’s might go then. From that tire height of 32.6 (iirc) to a 285/75/17 at 33.8”, taking half of that might be one finger’s worth right there.

Great video and thread. So... thinking out loud I have a Sahara that has a Rubicon suspension, Rubicon fenders, 3/4” spacer lift that JUST gets my heavier front back up to pre-winch height, another 3/4” spacer lift out back for off-setting loading on trips, and 1” hubcentric wheel spacers all around...so only a 1/4” further away than stock from the Rubicon inner fender liners. I think that would be RIGHT at the edge and tolerable. A heat gun might be enough to fix some minor rubbing.

Seems for a showroom stock Rubicon, maybe 34’s are the absolute limit when disconnected for no or easily correctable rubbing?
Daniel, do you have a link for the 1" spacers? 1.25" was the narrowest I could find.,TIA :)

Sponsored

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Daniel, do you have a link for the 1" spacers? 1.25" was the narrowest I could find.,TIA :)
Sure do. Call them and they’ll make a set. I waited 2 weeks before they shipped out. I paid $235 shipped iirc.

Stacking the spacers I can easily see the threads don’t protrude past the spacer even .500”. (The tech said they use stock spec studs.) My conservative stock wheel hub pocket measurement is .750”. So if you have stock wheels with the pockets that deep, it’ll clear. Any less than a 1” spacer and it would be too close for me to feel comfortable.

For those unaware, aftermarket wheels may not have these pockets between the stud holes so one would have to run a thicker spacer to have NO protrusion of the studs that bolt the spacer to the hub.

https://www.motorsport-tech.com/special/truck/jeep_s

C4D4EFCC-ED9A-4B4D-8CD8-A3D84A2838A9.jpeg

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sure do. Call them and they’ll make a set. I waited 2 weeks before they shipped out. I paid $235 shipped iirc.

Stacking the spacers I can easily see the threads don’t protrude past the spacer even .500”. (The tech said they use stock spec studs.) My conservative stock wheel hub pocket measurement is .750”. So if you have stock wheels with the pockets that deep, it’ll clear. Any less than a 1” spacer and it would be too close for me to feel comfortable.

For those unaware, aftermarket wheels may not have these pockets between the stud holes so one would have to run a thicker spacer to have NO protrusion of the studs that bolt the spacer to the hub.

https://www.motorsport-tech.com/special/truck/jeep_s
Thanks Daniel, I'll save that link so if & when I end up having to run spacers, and my wheels do have the pockets. Nice to know I can only go out an inch vs. most of the other spacers that you must go way out!

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I run 37" KO2s on stock wheels with no lift. They DO rub at full stuff with sway bar disconnected, but not enough to pop off a fender or do any real damage. I have 1.75" wheel spacers, but I got them just because I like the look of the tires popped out a bit and didn't want to have to change wheels (as I think my stock wheels are quite attractive).

This composite photo sums it up quite nicely. In both it's fully flexed (14 psi in the tires), there is pressure on the fenders from the tires, and no damage was done. If your running 35" KO2s, the pressure will be less and the chance of damage non existent

Jeep Wrangler JL JLUR stock suspension, stock wheels, will 35’s fit without rubbing at full flex? 2011-05-26 17.51.49B

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Thanks Daniel, I'll save that link so if & when I end up having to run spacers, and my wheels do have the pockets. Nice to know I can only go out an inch vs. most of the other spacers that you must go way out!
Yeah I did not want any tire protrusion either. At least anymore than I had to have.

BJACK

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2021 JLUD
When I had 35x12.5's on stock wheels(no spacers) w/no lift they rubbed the frame a little and the inner fenders a lot while disconnected and offroading. The pic shows the spot on the frame where it rubbed, no tire damage from any of the rubbing.

PXL_20210219_005038042.jpg
Sponsored