JLUR steel bumper and winch sag?

LBK454

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I ordered the MOPAR steel bumper, hard top, and tow package, which several people more knowledgeable me said would get the stiffest factory springs. Adding the Maximus winch plate, Warn Zenon 10, Maximus trim panels, and MOPAR winch guard, lowered the front a squeak over 3/8” but less than 1/2”. Since I put on 315’s, I added a 1” front spacer and a 1/2” rear spacer, to net roughly a 1/2” increase in height to give the 315’s a bit more breathing room.

F9A16B52-F62E-4F4D-979F-70AC888A591A.jpeg
Sponsored

owltown

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2L turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I need a little advice... I have a 2018 JLU 4dr Sahara.. My plastic bumper did not fair well when it encountered a deer. So i replaced it with a WARN elete steel bumper and skid plate. Well I realized when it was too late that the bumper REQUIRES a winch. So I got a VR8-s winch. Bumper weight about 80 pounds and the winch 60 then add the D rings and skid plat for another 40 pounds for a total of 180 pounds or so. Since i added this stuff peace-mile, I never bothered to check front end height. Anyway, I getting ready to add spacers. I checked a 2019 JLU 4Dr Sahara with plastic bumper and my front end is down about 3/4 of an inch. Should I get a 3/4 inch or 1/2 space put on?

JeepRider10

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon Unlimited
So I've searched several threads and you can find tid bits here and there, but hard to find it useful in one spot and the answer I was actually looking for. Will a JLUR with factory steel bumpers sag with the installation of a winch? I installed the Warn Winch plate into my factory steel bumper, with the warn VR-8S, approximately 93lbs total. I forgot to measure the space before and after install but it doesn't appear that it sagged at all, but I am wondering if it in fact did and I just can't see it with the naked eye. The factory steel bumper gets a stiffer spring then the plastic bumper so I know some have reported a decent amount of sag going from the plastic bumper to the steel bumper and a winch but thats also a lot more added weight on softer springs then in the instance I am asking about. So therefore I was wondering how everyones sag was on a 4 door rubicon with factory steel bumper by just adding a winch? Of course some winches are heavier than others so please let me know what winch you installed and what sag you've noticed. Thanks! I have watched two YouTube videos of winch installs using the setup I mentioned, one used a Warn zeon 10s winch, and another used the VR-10S, neither measured any sag. I was wondering what people on here were measuring
I installed the warn JL winch plate and a Smittybilt X20 10,000 lb winch. Measured 40 or 41 inches (cant remember exactly and dont have my notes with me as I am traveling) to the bottom of the front bumper prior to winch install. After winch install I got the exact same measurement which I was not expecting. So no sag at all. I had it installed at a shop so I will check and see if they put a 1 inch spacer in or something as I did expect some deviation after adding approx 100 lbs of weight between the winch plate and winch (synthetic rope).

OP
OP
JeepTime

JeepTime

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
I installed the warn JL winch plate and a Smittybilt X20 10,000 lb winch. Measured 40 or 41 inches (cant remember exactly and dont have my notes with me as I am traveling) to the bottom of the front bumper prior to winch install. After winch install I got the exact same measurement which I was not expecting. So no sag at all. I had it installed at a shop so I will check and see if they put a 1 inch spacer in or something as I did expect some deviation after adding approx 100 lbs of weight between the winch plate and winch (synthetic rope).
Thanks for the reply! Interesting take, it seems some get the sag, some don’t. Let us know if you find they did add something

JeepRider10

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon Unlimited
All,
I checked and it is 40 inches to the bottom of the black trim on the fender and 41" to the top of the black trim on the fender. I got no sag and there are no spaces in place.

Sponsored

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
I need a little advice... I have a 2018 JLU 4dr Sahara.. My plastic bumper did not fair well when it encountered a deer. So i replaced it with a WARN elete steel bumper and skid plate. Well I realized when it was too late that the bumper REQUIRES a winch. So I got a VR8-s winch. Bumper weight about 80 pounds and the winch 60 then add the D rings and skid plat for another 40 pounds for a total of 180 pounds or so. Since i added this stuff peace-mile, I never bothered to check front end height. Anyway, I getting ready to add spacers. I checked a 2019 JLU 4Dr Sahara with plastic bumper and my front end is down about 3/4 of an inch. Should I get a 3/4 inch or 1/2 space put on?
I went with the Rough Country 3/4" spacer and it fixed my front end sag quite nicely after adding a steel bumper and winch up front.

Geonoc

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLUR
I have a 2018 JLU Rubicon with the factory steel bumper group. This weekend I installed the Maximus 3 winch plate with the Smittybilt x20 winch. I measured before and after with the bumper end caps removed. I lost 1/2" due to sag. I think (going off memory) the winch plate is 24 lbs and the winch with synthetic line was 54? lbs.

By the way, the Maximus 3 went in with no problems. No rubbing of the winch on the grill, the skid plate went back on with no cutting (but lots of shifts back and forth). Highly recommend the Maximus 3. Haven't pulled anything other than the wife's minivan to put tension on the line so can't give a report on the impact.

Cthehentz

First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU
Vehicle Showcase
This past weekend I installed a level kit because I can't stand the rake look and nose dive when you need the brakes. My jeep came with the factory steel bumpers and I added a smittybuilt winch with synthetic rope but didn't notice any drop after the install. I will order new shocks and install 35" tires and call it a week.

IMG_5979.jpeg

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I’ve been debating adding some small spacers to the front of mine. I lost 3/4” with steel bumper and winch. Is there any benefit other than ascetics?

I have a small travel trailer and a little afraid it will make the rear sag with the trailer so much more noticeable.

ajkitebrder40

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, Hydro Blue
I went with the Rough Country 3/4" spacer and it fixed my front end sag quite nicely after adding a steel bumper and winch up front.
Do you still have this setup? If so, any issues? I'm thinking of doing the same, I can get pretty much anywhere I want to get and out of with 33's and a winch (at least for now). I may put 35's on but that will be down the road if at all, just depends on if I find myself in situations where I actually need them.

So......I'm debating the 3/4" spacer just to balance it back out. I went from a stock (plastic bumper, V6/manual - so probably lighter springs) to a Rugged Ridge Arcus with a Warn VR10 winch, love it, but hate the forward rake, it's roughly 7/8".
Sponsored