JLUR steel bumper and winch sag?

JeepTime

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
So I've searched several threads and you can find tid bits here and there, but hard to find it useful in one spot and the answer I was actually looking for. Will a JLUR with factory steel bumpers sag with the installation of a winch? I installed the Warn Winch plate into my factory steel bumper, with the warn VR-8S, approximately 93lbs total. I forgot to measure the space before and after install but it doesn't appear that it sagged at all, but I am wondering if it in fact did and I just can't see it with the naked eye. The factory steel bumper gets a stiffer spring then the plastic bumper so I know some have reported a decent amount of sag going from the plastic bumper to the steel bumper and a winch but thats also a lot more added weight on softer springs then in the instance I am asking about. So therefore I was wondering how everyones sag was on a 4 door rubicon with factory steel bumper by just adding a winch? Of course some winches are heavier than others so please let me know what winch you installed and what sag you've noticed. Thanks! I have watched two YouTube videos of winch installs using the setup I mentioned, one used a Warn zeon 10s winch, and another used the VR-10S, neither measured any sag. I was wondering what people on here were measuring
Sponsored

Last edited:

brianP

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
If its stock suspension it will sag (may not be enough to tell with the naked eye) if you have an aftermarket lift or spacers, most account for the weight of the bumpers and winch so you shouldnt have that issue.

I have a MetalCloak game changer, Factory steel bumper (end caps off) with a Maximus-3 plate and a Smittybilt x20 10k winch and it didnt move at all according to the measurements I took before and after.

Jasonangel

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler jl Rubicon
If its stock suspension it will sag (may not be enough to tell with the naked eye) if you have an aftermarket lift or spacers, most account for the weight of the bumpers and winch so you shouldnt have that issue.

I have a MetalCloak game changer, Factory steel bumper (end caps off) with a Maximus-3 plate and a Smittybilt x20 10k winch and it didnt move at all according to the measurements I took before and after.
How do you like the maximus-3 plate? Debating between that one and the warn. What made you choose the maximus?

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
My 2.0 JLR sagged after a warn Zeon 10S & Maximus-3 winch plate. I didn't measure before/after, but I do know that the headlights were aimed too high from the factory, and now they don't need adjustment.

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
The factory steel bumper gets a stiffer spring then the plastic bumper so I know some have reported a decent amount of sag going from the plastic bumper to the steel bumper and a winch but thats also a lot more added weight on softer springs then in the instance I am asking about. So therefore I was wondering how everyones sag was on a 4 door rubicon with factory steel bumper by just adding a winch?
My Rubi had the plastic bumper. Upgraded to the Mopar steel front bumper, added a Warn winch plate and Smitty X20 10K synthetic, front end dropped about one inch or more (guessing more like 1-1/2"). I have researched the hell out of springs and such and can't find a consensus as to what spring a) my jeep has or b) what springs a JLUR with steel bumpers come with. Maybe others can do better but according to my factory build sheet I have two (2) right springs from a steel front bumpered rubicon. I've all but given up solving THAT mystery.

I'm just going to toss on a $20 3/4" spacer lift on the front and call it a day. It won't make up all the lost height, but hoping it'll be a happy medium.

Good luck!

Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
How do you like the maximus-3 plate? Debating between that one and the warn. What made you choose the maximus?
I know this question wasn't directed at me, but I'll give my input anyway.

I like the Maximus-3 winch plate a lot. It looks to be incredibly strong, and I also like their optional D-ring mounts (which I have not yet installed). The D-ring mounts along with the 12,000# rating made it an easy choice for me. I plan on getting their gap filler plates also, which is a nice touch that other companies do not offer.

There instructions were not correct for my Jeep though, but I'm not entirely sure it was their fault (they claim Jeep changed the design). If you have issues installing, my notes here may help:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ch-plate-accessories.17149/page-2#post-749526

Jasonangel

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler jl Rubicon
I know this question wasn't directed at me, but I'll give my input anyway.

I like the Maximus-3 winch plate a lot. It looks to be incredibly strong, and I also like their optional D-ring mounts (which I have not yet installed). The D-ring mounts along with the 12,000# rating made it an easy choice for me. I plan on getting their gap filler plates also, which is a nice touch that other companies do not offer.

There instructions were not correct for my Jeep though, but I'm not entirely sure it was their fault (they claim Jeep changed the design). If you have issues installing, my notes here may help:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ch-plate-accessories.17149/page-2#post-749526
Awesome thank you!

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm just going to toss on a $20 3/4" spacer lift on the front and call it a day. It won't make up all the lost height, but hoping it'll be a happy medium.
I installed the spacers over the weekend and even though they are only 3/4" I'm really happy with the result. It got rid of the nose-down attitude and it looks like it did before adding the steel bumper/winch plate/winch.

IMG_1801.png
58404853272__66BF02CD-AE5B-496C-B0AF-AA7743124817.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
JeepTime

JeepTime

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
I installed the spacers over the weekend and even though they are only 3/4" I'm really happy with the result. It got rid of the nose-down attitude and it looks like it did before adding the steel bumper/winch plate/winch.
Looks good! I want to put a 1/2 inch spacer on mine but Iā€™m concerned about potential warranty issues. When I take my ieepcon for my first service Iā€™m going to ask

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Not exactly apples to apples but mine dropped a 1/2" with winch and bumper. I suspect this is typical amongst all models.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JeepTime

JeepTime

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Not exactly apples to apples but mine dropped a 1/2" with winch and bumper. I suspect this is typical amongst all models.
Couple questions for you! Okay three questions, I lied! Did you go from the factory steel to your aftermarket bumper, or the factory plastic to the aftermarket? How much did that after market bumper weigh? And lastly which winch did you put in?

Thanks!!

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

IMG_1801.png
58404853272__66BF02CD-AE5B-496C-B0AF-AA7743124817.JPG
That looks great, 3/4 inch doesnā€™t sound like much but it makes a big difference. Hereā€™s mine before and after with 3/4ā€ spacers. Going from plastic bumper to the lod with 10,000 winch with steel cable. Iā€™ve since changed to synthetic though.

30303A73-0563-45DC-A059-AD36437C2D85.jpeg
69189BC4-1341-4F72-A5AA-D0E47EF00208.jpeg

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Looks good! I want to put a 1/2 inch spacer on mine but Iā€™m concerned about potential warranty issues. When I take my ieepcon for my first service Iā€™m going to ask
The warranty should not be an issue with a small spacer lift. See your warranty booklet section titled "What's Not Covered." Unless the modification caused the problem it doesn't affect warranty.

We got the Mopar lifetime warranty and that specifically excludes lifts kits OVER 2", or failures to parts caused by the failure of a lift kit over 2 inches.

Wouldn't hurt to ask... but I feel pretty safe that my meager 3/4" spacer won't affect any warranty issues.

I'd recommend 3/4" over a half inch... mine still has a slight forward rake but not noticeable without a tape measure. Would have preferred no rake but happy with it as is.

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That looks great, 3/4 inch doesnā€™t sound like much but it makes a big difference. Hereā€™s mine before and after with 3/4ā€ spacers. Going from plastic bumper to the lod with 10,000 winch with steel cable. Iā€™ve since changed to synthetic though.
Thanks! Really like your setup! Great looking Jeep! And you're right... 3/4" doesn't sound like a lot but got it back to looking right. My wife said she couldn't tell the difference, but the nose down attitude was driving me nutz. Then again she thinks I'm nutz anyway so no big change there.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks! Really like your setup! Great looking Jeep! And you're right... 3/4" doesn't sound like a lot but got it back to looking right. My wife said she couldn't tell the difference, but the nose down attitude was driving me nutz. Then again she thinks I'm nutz anyway so no big change there.
Lol, thanks, must be a wife thing, mine couldnā€™t tell until I showed her pictures on the phone...:facepalm:, lol.
Sponsored