lebeanyard

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Hey Everyone,

I have a 2018 JLUR, I am an avid snow skier and am looking for some input on a snow tire question that I have. I know the stock BFG KO2 is a solid snow tire, but I would prefer to get a dedicated, studded winter tire to get up through ice to Timberline Lodge regularly in winter.

I honed in on the Nokian Hakka LT3’s and initially planned to get them in 285/70R17 to match the profile of my stock tire. However, that seems a bit wide for a snow tire and I am considering going down to the 235/80R17. The problem is this comes to about a 32inch tire rather than the stock 33 inch. Do you guys feel the smaller tire in the larger Rubicon fenders will look bad/ out of place? Any photos of people running this would be appreciated, but I doubt there are any out there. Any input is much appreciated!
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase

Bikemobile

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Vehicle Showcase
I have Nokian WRG4’s on my wifes durango. Killer snow tires.

But.... just like here in Colorado, it is a good idea to own a set of tire chains or cables. You could get stuck “behind” a chain restriction and the studded tires wont be sufficient to proceed if the highway department is out checking for chains.

I carry a set of chains in my jeep and cables in my pickup. Highly unlikey that you will need them but good to have.

You’ll be fine with the BFG’s until you’re not. At that point a set of chains is your best bet. Cables are more efficient on icy paved roads. Chains are slower on the road but better off road or in extreme deep snow.

Cables
https://www.ebay.com/itm/311739019797

Chains
https://www.ebay.com/itm/201719320957

OP
OP

lebeanyard

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Thank you all for the replies so far! My biggest concern in general is whether a 32 inch tire will look out of place on a JLUR. Whether I decide to go studless or studded on the snow tires, the narrower size I’d be seeking will likely come in about an inch smaller in diameter than the stock KO2’s. Do you guys think this will leave too much space in the wheel well?

Sponsored

Dave928

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, 03 Silverado, 88 Porsche 928 S4
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
You mention a specific tire but don’t ask how it performs. If you really want to get to where you want, what does it matter what it looks like?

Bikemobile

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you all for the replies so far! My biggest concern in general is whether a 32 inch tire will look out of place on a JLUR. Whether I decide to go studless or studded on the snow tires, the narrower size I’d be seeking will likely come in about an inch smaller in diameter than the stock KO2’s. Do you guys think this will leave too much space in the wheel well?
I dont think it will look bad. But 285/70-17 Nokians would be badass, no studs needed though.

OP
OP

lebeanyard

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Hi all,

Just to follow up on this, I ended up going with an 18 inch Sahara wheel and the General Grabber Arctic LT snow tire in a 275/70R18. Here is what it looks like for anyone interested.

88509228-BD3A-46BC-92AD-119BB0B35133.jpeg