Sponsored

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Sting Gray 3.6L
All the same highly recommended insuring with a company that specifically covers Offroad use on there policy. Mercury covers my jeep
I left Mercury because they said they wouldn’t cover accidents that occur with my personal vehicle in the course of conducting work related activities for my employer and threatening me with committing insurance fraud.

I got into a minor fender bender with an unmarked police vehicle in the parking lot of a sporting goods store. Mercury hounded me for months via letters and phone calls trying to get me to “confess” that I had been shopping at the sporting goods store arguing that it was for work related business for my employer and threatening me of committing fraud.

AZ Car Guy

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4Xe, 2022 JT Rubicon
So happy no one was hurt. Wearing a seat belt and remembering to relax and keep body parts inside the Jeep are key. Its not always easy or possible...

whiled i missed this year due to pandemic crap, I have been going to EJS since 1984 (as a kid) and have only missEd a couple of years since. I have learned there are all types of drivers and personalities... including those that have ‘rolled a dozen times‘ and have no issues with it. Kudo’s to those with that attitude as long as they think about the safety and enjoyment for others.

but as must of you know and should preach: it is not necessary to roll your Jeep to enjoy even the toughest trails and obstacles in Moab. It does happen occasionally, but for most part, it is preventable. If it does happen, the goal IMO is to learn and prevent it from happening again. That is apparently not the goal in this case.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Short of competitive rock bouncers and off road racers, if you've rolled a dozen times you're simply doing it wrong. The goal is to make it up obstacles without destroying your rig. It's like the Toyota guys with the Tacomas that look like crushed beer cans on wheels. They do the same obstacles that others do but beat their way through them using bad lines, sometimes intentionally flopping their rigs. It's not at all impressive to me that you can beat, roll, and drag your vehicle through the same trails others do while keeping their rigs in good shape. Pick better lines, stack rocks or pull cable when you need to, and wheel on. There are plenty of times where a wheel slips, you misjudge a line, or a parts failure results in a roll or a flop, but a dozen times is either intentional or you just don't learn from your mistakes.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I admire the skill that goes into building and driving these vehicles, I cringe when it goes so spectacularly Wrong. The " Close Everything Down " advocates weaponizes these examples, with results we are seeing every day. Rolling and Proud of it, not helping. At least 500 lbs of junk didn't spew out, and no frantically leaping dogs, and hapless passengers. Small Mercies, but expect more pressure to close land to " Off Roading ".

Sponsored

Rumplemenz

First Name
Geno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Explorer Sport, 1986 Ford Mustang Notchback
I gotta say that the “sport” cage held up extremely well. If you did that in a JK I don’t think you’d have had nearly as good of an experience from what I’ve seen.

Ahhh brutal feel bad. Am i only one who actually feels real bad someones toy got mauled? Hate to play monday am qb but cldnt driver avoided that by turning wheel other way? He seemed to aid in the flip. Glad driver is ok!
411 - understand in the heat of moment im a novice and wouldn’t have done any better. In fact I wouldnt of had balls to attempt tht

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
Wow, that did escalate pretty quickly. I of course would have been going slower and pushed on my clutch because I'm awesome.

I'm curious about the suspension setup and if that was a contributing factor. I can't really tell, but I wonder if there was a lack of down travel. The rear in particular doesn't seem to flex much.

The rear bumpstop extensions only look like 1". So unless the shock was bottoming before the bumpstop, that might be a pretty short shock. Combine that with a lift to clear 40s and less weight with no doors or top, my amateur guess is that there was only a couple of inches of down-travel.
Probably the mopar 2'' lift on fox 2.0's and 40's with 5.13's on stock axles lol.

operator22

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys

Pm me if you want me to take this down
Watching the video clip, the front end settles at 0:05. Maybe the last chance to change the plan.

Beyond that point, I'm seeing a combination of angle and acceleration shift the center of gravity so far back that the driver isn't in control of the vehicle.

Good video, good lesson.

SoK66

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport (3)
I gotta say that the “sport” cage held up extremely well. If you did that in a JK I don’t think you’d have had nearly as good of an experience from what I’ve seen.

Hope everyone was OK. I've seen them have to use jaws of life to cut people out of rolls on that hill. Better line is way over to the right.

Sponsored

Kirtm333

First Name
Kirt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I'm curious and I ask this constructively as I don't have a lot of experience. It seems like people are always anxious to lift and get bigger tires. But is there a point where you really compromise roll potential on the quest for more GC? Let's say this jeep wasn't as lifted, would it have decreased the changes of the off camber roll?
2 1/2” lift 🤷

Kirtm333

First Name
Kirt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Short of competitive rock bouncers and off road racers, if you've rolled a dozen times you're simply doing it wrong. The goal is to make it up obstacles without destroying your rig. It's like the Toyota guys with the Tacomas that look like crushed beer cans on wheels. They do the same obstacles that others do but beat their way through them using bad lines, sometimes intentionally flopping their rigs. It's not at all impressive to me that you can beat, roll, and drag your vehicle through the same trails others do while keeping their rigs in good shape. Pick better lines, stack rocks or pull cable when you need to, and wheel on. There are plenty of times where a wheel slips, you misjudge a line, or a parts failure results in a roll or a flop, but a dozen times is either intentional or you just don't learn from your mistakes.
Competitive rock crawler, thanks for asking.