Rubicon_LA

Rubicon_LA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
@JimLee

Thanks. Just filed the complaint with NHTSA. Not sure if it helps anything, but who knows
Sponsored

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
@JimLee

Thanks. Just filed the complaint with NHTSA. Not sure if it helps anything, but who knows
Well this has happened to several people here on the forums, if they all reported it maybe it will get looked into. This is a dangerous defect that needs to be addressed. I doubt anyone throws their children in the back compartment but can you imagine if someone's kid or pet was back there. Jeep, FCA, Stellantis, whatever has a long history of ignoring dangerous issues until their hand is forced.

KarlN

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited 4XE
Occupation
Retired
Long story short, Jeep Customer Care opened the case, but they are not been any more help at all. Dealership said the earliest they can just look at the truck and examine the cause is in a week. Mopar extended warranty said that my most expensive Maximum Care plan most likely will not cover the cost, unless the dealership admits it's factory defect (of barely soldered defrost wire) that caused the explosion.
Seriously, I'm so disappointed and clueless. My window got exploded in the middle of the freeway, creating one of the most dangerous situations on the road due to known factory issue of very poorly soldered cable, and Jeep refuses to help with the problem. I wish I had a lawyer to sue them on this thing.😡
Honestly, If you have prior documentation of repairs and it exploded which is hazardous, ask them to deny repair on paper and get an attorney.

OP
OP
Rubicon_LA

Rubicon_LA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
@KarlN

I don't have a history of previous repairs. I only have a history of me complaining on poor soldering before. The dealership promised to order me a new glass but never did. Dealership does not deny the repair, they say they can repair it, but I have to pay out of my pocket even having an extended warranty, and it will take them a week to just look and analyze the cause of the explosion, and then who knows how much longer to order the glass and actual installation.

KarlN

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited 4XE
Occupation
Retired
@KarlN

I don't have a history of previous repairs. I only have a history of me complaining on poor soldering before. The dealership promised to order me a new glass but never did. Dealership does not deny the repair, they say they can repair it, but I have to pay out of my pocket even having an extended warranty, and it will take them a week to just look and analyze the cause of the explosion, and then who knows how much longer to order the glass and actual installation.
Try calling Jeep again...maybe not so friendly. If this forum is aware of the issue then there have been several in the country so you are not a unique case. I had a similar issue many years ago and frankly was screwed by their system without getting into details. I tried to use their method of arbitration on a safety issue. Press it out of justice and what's right. Maybe it's time they own up to their faults and not continue to damage their consumers!

I boycotted Jeep for 20 years, I thought they changed but maybe it's time to go away again. This instance demonstrates corporate power and greed over quality and integrity! I may just leave my Wrangler on the lot for the next guy when it comes in.

Sponsored

MyDaughters20JL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JL Sport S
I boycotted Jeep for 20 years, I thought they changed but maybe it's time to go away again. This instance demonstrates corporate power and greed over quality and integrity! I may just leave my Wrangler on the lot for the next guy when it comes in.
before acting like a total heel, why not do a bit of research?
I, for one, had an issue with the bad steering box on my '20 rubi..dealership kinda gave me the brushoff with the excuse that "we've got a guy that's been waiting for the part since August" (this was in December). I messaged jeep cares on here & within a week, the new part was in and an appointment was scheduled.

granted, FCA has had less than stellar quality control & almost non-existent customer service, but it at least SEEMS as though Stellantis is beginning to address some of the customer service issues.

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
I can personally attest to the fact that tempered glass can fail/explode without being hit by anything. I worked with my dad in the glass business and helped with quite a lot of tempered door glass and tempered back glass installations. There are definitely stresses within poor quality tempered glass and even a new glass is not far from reaching a failure threshold.

Several times one year we installed door glasses in some fords. Granadas come to mind and I think were popular back then in the 70's and 80's. So one day my dad and I installed a passenger door glass. My dad told me to stay away from it and just let it sit for a while. Within 15 minutes BOOM! it exploded with no door opening or closing or anything. So this exploding back glass issue with our Jeeps is very similar to what I've seen before.

I also remember the guy that delivered to the glass shop telling my dad about how each week they have new tempered glass explode in the warehouse just sitting still. Not just automotive glass but even residential and commercial store front glass.

OK, so now on the back glass of our Jeeps there are holes in it with stuff bolted onto it, struts glued to it and added heat from the defroster. Plenty of extra stresses are being applied and not really surprising that we are witnessing some failures as a result. It's nothing new really but shouldn't happen. There is a material quality issue here.

PepperE

First Name
Pepper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, 1975 Ford Bronco
for that one video...are you sure someone in the passing truck didnt do something when passing?
Yep, I was able to watch video frame by frame and you can see it’s not from the passing truck. Also, you can see back glass basically imploded from its center. Apparently this is not that uncommon - several other threads in forum with similar breakage.

OP
OP
Rubicon_LA

Rubicon_LA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
@PepperE

Yet the Jeep corporate doesn't admit it's a factory defect issue. So hard to fight it.

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
Yep, I was able to watch video frame by frame and you can see it’s not from the passing truck. Also, you can see back glass basically imploded from its center. Apparently this is not that uncommon - several other threads in forum with similar breakage.
yes, and it's tempered safety glass as well, it's not going to be jagged shards of evil pain. Not going to kill anyone in the rear seat....

still shotty. the OP saying the dealer has to 'investigate'-most of em can't even put 5 in an oil change....how about 'sorry we will fix it under warranty, it's the Xth we've seen'

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
for that one video...are you sure someone in the passing truck didnt do something when passing?
If you go frame by frame on that video, it clearly shows the glass rupture around the edges before the entire pane cracks and falls. You can see that is was around the defroster. Petty impressive quality for a dashcam.

Even my wife noticed the crappy workmanship where the defroster is connected to the glass. She asked me if I had to fix it. I told her that's the way it came from the factory.

OP
OP
Rubicon_LA

Rubicon_LA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Final Update: Had to go through my insurance after all to replace the glass. Jeep Care was worthless and didn't do anything to help. Mopar Maximum Care extended plan is crap and waste of money, refused to cover known obvious factory flaw. So if anybody gets in situation like mine, unless you have a good lawyer - don't waste your time trying to make Jeep resolve the issue.
Sponsored