JLUR - Plastic vs Steel Bumpers?

sixspeed

First Name
Gregory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S JL
Just looking for some thoughts on the base plastic bumpers versus the steel bumper upgrade on the Rubicon.

Basically, I placed an order a few weeks back and just second guessing myself (like I seemingly have with everything lol). Wondering if I want to order steel and have them dealer installed when the Jeep comes in so I can roll it into the cost of the vehicle.

First off though, on the 2021 Rubicon the steel bumper group upgrade ends up being around $1,800 when you figure in tax. That's a pretty heft amount of money for some bumpers. That's mostly why I didn't get them in my order. Just seemed like a lot of money and the plastic ones really don't look all that bad. Heck, most vehicles these days don't have bumpers at all lol.

Now about my intentions with this Rubicon. First off, this is my first Jeep. I don't know if I'll be off-roading. I hope to try it sometime but I don't know if I will or not. Also, not planning to add upgrades like a winch, lights or whatever. I'd like to maybe do 35 inch tires down the road but that probably won't be for a couple years as I plan to wear out the ones it comes with first.

So all the above considered, I thought I'd probably be fine with the standard bumper. I also had concerns that the steel bumpers might have issues with rust being in Upstate NY with salt and snow. If they're e-coated though then maybe that's not a concern. It just seems like I've had issues with steel everything on my vehicles with rust at some point.

I do like the look and heftiness of the steel bumper. But I don't know if I like it for $1,800 worth. I basically already went about 3K over my intended budget with my order by doing LED lights and adding some other things (painted fender flares, 8.4 radio, Headliner, safety group, etc). I'm sure could swing the steel bumpers if I wanted to though.

If I were planning to do heavy mods, add a winch, lights, go off-road like crazy, yeah....I'd think a steel bumper would be a must. But think it's necessary if you aren't doing those things? The only thing I might like to add would be a bull bar mostly just because I like the looks of it. It's probably not necessary though.

Try to take it easy on me for getting the Rubicon in the first place if I don't plan to off-road! I just loved the darn thing when test driving it and thought it was a cool vehicle! And maybe the wife and I will hit a trail at some point, IDK.

Just looking for some thoughts. Anybody have the plastic bumpers and okay with them? Wish you had steel of happy with what you have?
Maybe this has been said but the Mopar front steel bumper allows you to take off the end caps and make a stubby version which seems like a nice option. I haven’t seen any aftermarkets that do this. Anyone?
Sponsored

eck

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU MOAB HellaYella

MoJeepDust

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 00 XJ, 08 Avalanche, 76 CB550F
Occupation
Jeep Product Trainer
although I love the steel front bumper, especially as the stubby bumper and it has held up great to some real abuse and winch time. On the other hand the rear bumper is worthless. Broke the license plate bracket off in the first few months of ownership and proceeded to mangle the driver rear corner. cutout plate design is highly flawed and leaves no structure.... so save the money. look on FB market if you like the front

SolarWizard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nacho3lJT
Occupation
Owner @ Solar Co
smitty built makes a “Stryker” bumper that’s convertible

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
If steel bumpers are included from the factory, does the factory configuration add spacers to negate any sag in the front due to the weight of the bumpers, or is the sag too negligible to be addressed?

Any of you who add steel bumpers later replacing the plastic stock, add any spacers or are they not necessary?

And since the plastic does have some metal backing or reinforcement, what is the net gain in weight with the steel bumpers from the stock plastic ones including the metal skid?

Sponsored

redrock

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLUR, 14 WK2, 98 ZJ 5.9, 17 F350 6.7L
Vehicle Showcase
If steel bumpers are included from the factory, does the factory configuration add spacers to negate any sag in the front due to the weight of the bumpers, or is the sag too negligible to be addressed?

Any of you who add steel bumpers later replacing the plastic stock, add any spacers or are they not necessary?

And since the plastic does have some metal backing or reinforcement, what is the net gain in weight with the steel bumpers from the stock plastic ones including the metal skid?
The weight is negligible. Just rough guessing here but the plastic bumper is probably around 30-35 lbs while the steel is maybe 60-70 lbs. Not enough to warrant a spacer until you add the weight of a winch, and then maybe only need a 1/2" spacer at that.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase

The factory has a handful of coils with varying spring rates. They use the highest spring rates on builds that include the steel bumpers, hardtop, and tow package.

redrock

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLUR, 14 WK2, 98 ZJ 5.9, 17 F350 6.7L
Vehicle Showcase
Found the actual weights. The plastic bumper is 33 pounds, while the steel bumper and skidplate are 69 lbs altogether. So, only a net gain of 36 lbs.

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Found the actual weights. The plastic bumper is 33 pounds, while the steel bumper and skidplate are 69 lbs altogether. So, only a net gain of 36 lbs.
Awesome, thanks

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
The factory has a handful of coils with varying spring rates. They use the highest spring rates on builds that include the steel bumpers, hardtop, and tow package.
I assume the XR package also uses the highest grade springs?

Sponsored

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Removing endcaps (8.8 lb. each) sheds another 17.6 lb.

Reactions: LCW

sixspeed

First Name
Gregory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S JL
The Mopar steel front bumper is excellent. The steel rear bumper is absolutely worthless.
You cannot use the back up sensors with the Mopar rear steel bumper. The newest OE rear steel bumpers have them but you can’t buy a replacement with them unless you order every individual part for the OE bumper and assemble it.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
You cannot use the back up sensors with the Mopar rear steel bumper. The newest OE rear steel bumpers have them but you can’t buy a replacement with them unless you order every individual part for the OE bumper and assemble it.
Okay. I'm not really sure what that has to do with the fact the OEM rear steel bumper is weak and not worth upgrading to for the price, though.

81176659.jpg

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
The ones on my wife's '20 Recon with steel bumpers front and rear work pretty well.
Sponsored