JLUR - Plastic vs Steel Bumpers?

#diesel

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
So glad I ordered the steel bumpers. A pickup driver feel asleep at the wheel and rolled into me head-on when I was sitting still in a turn lane. It was a jarring impact and caused me to lurch backwards before he came to a stop. His insurance replaced my scratched up bumper.
Jeep Wrangler JL JLUR - Plastic vs Steel Bumpers? DC5769AD-250F-489C-B829-2A73221534F6
Jeep Wrangler JL JLUR - Plastic vs Steel Bumpers? 06B9B60B-BFC4-44C3-84DE-33BFBC681787
Jeep Wrangler JL JLUR - Plastic vs Steel Bumpers? CE886BD5-8842-42C8-95F9-3A1DB06C9BCF
Sponsored

Zotch

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hella Sport S JL
I'm going with the Mopar steel front stubby. Looks better then most and I can retain my fogs. Rear not sure as I don't like relocating the license plate and most are ugly/cheap.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
The Mopar rear steel bumper does not have the back up sensors. The plastic, at least on a Rubicon, does. I’m sure they can’t be added.
While the Mopar steel rear bumper is absolute junk, it is available both with and without the backup sensor holes. My rear steel came with backup sensors on my 2019 JLUR.

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mahindra Thar (in India) - 2.5L Diesel, 4x4, 5 spd Manual ; 2020 JLU Rubicon (in USA) - 3.6 Gas with 8 Speed Automatic
Occupation
Family business in India and USA (dual citizen of both)
What? You can absolutely stand in the plastic... you know it has a steel reinforcement, right?
I don't know, man. I get nervous standing on a plastic bumper of a $50k Jeep (reinforced with Steel or not). Maybe it is just for my peace of mind that I preferred the steel and you might be right. But I like to err on the side of caution.

Plus it looks better than the plastic bumper IMHO (esp the front bumper).

jbojeep

First Name
JBo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2015 JKU
Just looking for some thoughts on the base plastic bumpers versus the steel bumper upgrade on the Rubicon.

Basically, I placed an order a few weeks back and just second guessing myself (like I seemingly have with everything lol). Wondering if I want to order steel and have them dealer installed when the Jeep comes in so I can roll it into the cost of the vehicle.

First off though, on the 2021 Rubicon the steel bumper group upgrade ends up being around $1,800 when you figure in tax. That's a pretty heft amount of money for some bumpers. That's mostly why I didn't get them in my order. Just seemed like a lot of money and the plastic ones really don't look all that bad. Heck, most vehicles these days don't have bumpers at all lol.

Now about my intentions with this Rubicon. First off, this is my first Jeep. I don't know if I'll be off-roading. I hope to try it sometime but I don't know if I will or not. Also, not planning to add upgrades like a winch, lights or whatever. I'd like to maybe do 35 inch tires down the road but that probably won't be for a couple years as I plan to wear out the ones it comes with first.

So all the above considered, I thought I'd probably be fine with the standard bumper. I also had concerns that the steel bumpers might have issues with rust being in Upstate NY with salt and snow. If they're e-coated though then maybe that's not a concern. It just seems like I've had issues with steel everything on my vehicles with rust at some point.

I do like the look and heftiness of the steel bumper. But I don't know if I like it for $1,800 worth. I basically already went about 3K over my intended budget with my order by doing LED lights and adding some other things (painted fender flares, 8.4 radio, Headliner, safety group, etc). I'm sure could swing the steel bumpers if I wanted to though.

If I were planning to do heavy mods, add a winch, lights, go off-road like crazy, yeah....I'd think a steel bumper would be a must. But think it's necessary if you aren't doing those things? The only thing I might like to add would be a bull bar mostly just because I like the looks of it. It's probably not necessary though.

Try to take it easy on me for getting the Rubicon in the first place if I don't plan to off-road! I just loved the darn thing when test driving it and thought it was a cool vehicle! And maybe the wife and I will hit a trail at some point, IDK.

Just looking for some thoughts. Anybody have the plastic bumpers and okay with them? Wish you had steel of happy with what you have?
I ordered my 2021 Rubicon with factory steel and I love them. I had after market on my JKU and they were great but I like the looks and I wasn’t going to count pennies when ordering top of the line Jeep.

Sponsored

JeezAJeep

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Baja..2019 BMW X2
What are your thoughts going from the Standard Plastic to the Mopar Rubicon bumper? I have to get it done after delivery...was thinking to put 2 KC lights and a grill guard...are there much modifications? I do not want this to be a project for the installer? THx

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
The Mopar rear steel bumper does not have the back up sensors. The plastic, at least on a Rubicon, does. I’m sure they can’t be added.
Ah no. There are two versions and which you get depends upon if you ordered the backup sensor package or not.

I don't know, man. I get nervous standing on a plastic bumper of a $50k Jeep (reinforced with Steel or not). Maybe it is just for my peace of mind that I preferred the steel and you might be right. But I like to err on the side of caution.

Plus it looks better than the plastic bumper IMHO (esp the front bumper).
Yeah, totally agree with you there. I think the plastic looks like crap... but it's light and practically free.

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
What are your thoughts going from the Standard Plastic to the Mopar Rubicon bumper? I have to get it done after delivery...was thinking to put 2 KC lights and a grill guard...are there much modifications? I do not want this to be a project for the installer? THx
That's what I did and I saved $1250. Just make sure you get ALL the brackets. On the rear, there's different brackets on the plastic vs metal.

JeezAJeep

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Baja..2019 BMW X2
That's what I did and I saved $1250. Just make sure you get ALL the brackets. On the rear, there's different brackets on the plastic vs metal.
JUst getting the front bumper...I have sensors, a front license plate...just want to get a small grill guard and a few lights...nothing fancy

Sponsored

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
Go with the steel bumpers if thats what you want, I have the steel and its great. But again thats what I wanted

VKSheridan

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2 Dr Rubicon JL Hardtop
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Heavy Equipment
Vehicle Showcase
I didn’t like either bumper option (steel or plastic) so I ordered my Jeep with the cheapest to toss. I replaced both with the Quadratec bumpers and never looked back. That said, get what fits your lifestyle for both looks and functionality. It’s your preferences that matter.

gcdaz

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
I think the advice to get what makes you happy is best. I ordered my Rubi with plastic bumpers because I want to keep it light. My armored up LJ got terrible mileage on the trails, and realistically, the steel bumpers added weight I could have lived without.

In terms of performance, I was rear ended once so far. The plastic bumper had a tiny dent (almost invisible) but the Taurus that hit me lost its hood and a fender.:)

I’ve come off ledges onto the rear bumper a couple times. Once the end popped loose near the rear fender, but it was easy to click back into the plastic snaps that hold it.

Depending on your goals or aesthetic sense, either plastic or steel should be fine.

AJ_4xE

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
If I order a steel bumper package, does it come with a steel or aluminum skid plate under the bumper?