Sponsored

JLUR - Plastic vs Steel Bumpers?

tts42572

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Just looking for some thoughts on the base plastic bumpers versus the steel bumper upgrade on the Rubicon.

Basically, I placed an order a few weeks back and just second guessing myself (like I seemingly have with everything lol). Wondering if I want to order steel and have them dealer installed when the Jeep comes in so I can roll it into the cost of the vehicle.

First off though, on the 2021 Rubicon the steel bumper group upgrade ends up being around $1,800 when you figure in tax. That's a pretty heft amount of money for some bumpers. That's mostly why I didn't get them in my order. Just seemed like a lot of money and the plastic ones really don't look all that bad. Heck, most vehicles these days don't have bumpers at all lol.

Now about my intentions with this Rubicon. First off, this is my first Jeep. I don't know if I'll be off-roading. I hope to try it sometime but I don't know if I will or not. Also, not planning to add upgrades like a winch, lights or whatever. I'd like to maybe do 35 inch tires down the road but that probably won't be for a couple years as I plan to wear out the ones it comes with first.

So all the above considered, I thought I'd probably be fine with the standard bumper. I also had concerns that the steel bumpers might have issues with rust being in Upstate NY with salt and snow. If they're e-coated though then maybe that's not a concern. It just seems like I've had issues with steel everything on my vehicles with rust at some point.

I do like the look and heftiness of the steel bumper. But I don't know if I like it for $1,800 worth. I basically already went about 3K over my intended budget with my order by doing LED lights and adding some other things (painted fender flares, 8.4 radio, Headliner, safety group, etc). I'm sure could swing the steel bumpers if I wanted to though.

If I were planning to do heavy mods, add a winch, lights, go off-road like crazy, yeah....I'd think a steel bumper would be a must. But think it's necessary if you aren't doing those things? The only thing I might like to add would be a bull bar mostly just because I like the looks of it. It's probably not necessary though.

Try to take it easy on me for getting the Rubicon in the first place if I don't plan to off-road! I just loved the darn thing when test driving it and thought it was a cool vehicle! And maybe the wife and I will hit a trail at some point, IDK.

Just looking for some thoughts. Anybody have the plastic bumpers and okay with them? Wish you had steel of happy with what you have?
Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I'd say hold onto your money and run with the plastic bumpers until you get a better bead on how you plan on using the Jeep. The steel and plastic variants have a near identical profile and size. If down the line you want to mount a winch and/or other bumper accessories, you could score a great deal on a used one from the forum marketplace. As for the Mopar rear steel bumper, its not worth the money because it doesn't really provide the strength you'd expect from steel.

I ordered my Rubi with the steel bumpers, mainly because I like the front. But I knew I'd eventually be replacing the rear with something that would better protect the corners of the body. I actually just placed an order for a new one today.

CNDJeepLife

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I just placed a JLUR order and went with the plastic. If you have no functional use for them I think the look is so similar to the plastic bumper and doesn’t justify the $$. Additionally, if you ever damage the plastic bumper there will lots of take offs on kijiji etc. However, if money was no object I would have added the steel.

OP
OP
tts42572

tts42572

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Yeah, that darn money thing!

The only part of the plastic bumper I really don't care for is that silver part. I wish they'd have just done the whole thing the black plastic and left off that silver accent. For example, I like the Willy's bumper better than the Rubicon. Maybe the Rubicon bumper could be painted to look like the Willy's?

This thing was so tough to order. You start out with that base price and it looks great....Then start adding everything you want and before you know it you're up around 60K.

I just placed a JLUR order and went with the plastic. If you have no functional use for them I think the look is so similar to the plastic bumper and doesn’t justify the $$. Additionally, if you ever damage the plastic bumper there will lots of take offs on kijiji etc. However, if money was no object I would have added the steel.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
If you decide to get the Mopar steel bumpers afterwards, you can mount them yourself. It is super easy. Heck even I can do it!

I just ordered a front Mopar bumper from BAM Wholesale Parts; I paid $900, including shipping. Apparently it includes the LED fogs. That’s $200 right there.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
PS - Rubicons don’t have silver appliqués, Saharas do. The bumper appliqués on Rubicon are charcoal.

stevepoz

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Firecracker Red JLUR
I went plastic so I can order aftermarket steel later. I’ll off-road at some point and heard not good things about the steel rear. Plus, I want to make the Jeep as much “me” as possible.

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I have the steel bumpers and while I like the look, plastic in the back would be fine and saving the money I have invested in them could have more than funded a nice aftermarket front. IIRC, in 2019 it was a $1395 option, the winch plate was another $250 and the grill guard was $170. That could have funded an after market with money left over.

20201101_143249.jpg

20201031_203258.jpg

johnnyj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeepless but still a fan.
It's also 100% possible to mount a winch on the plastic bumper using a warn plate and a little cutting. That is going to be my route. Weight savings of plastic w/winch capability.

Weight savings weight savings. =)

Sponsored

JLJeeper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2021 2-Door
Occupation
Retired
I’m in the same boat as you. Ordered my 01 Rubicon with the plastic- pathetic - bumpers. I put the $1,800 on other options. I’ll upgrade the bumpers down the road, along with a winch. Gives me something to look forward to :)

JLJeeper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2021 2-Door
Occupation
Retired
I meant 2021 Rubi

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
Juts enjoy your Jeep as is. Rubicon plastic bumper looks nice. Dealer price for the bumpers is steep, you can always add them down the road for less, in unlikely event that you'll want to.
Replica Rubicon bumpers (front and back with led lights)cost $750, some people choose to go that direction.

Last edited:

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Save your money. The factory steel bumpers aren’t great. The rest is worth than useless. I ordered mine with them and instantly regretted it. Replaced both within a couple months of taking delivery. You can buy indestructible aftermarket bumpers for what they charge. I know people like the looks of the steel front, but it would never hold up to the abuse I have put on my LOD bumper.
Sponsored