JLUR Metalcloak game changer 3.5"

DBROKL

First Name
Brock
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Why did you guys go with the six pack shocks? From what I've read about them, they leak and need to be rebuilt often.
They redid the shocks for the JL. they are specifically bnuilt for the JL. I love the concept of them. will have to see if the suffer the same issues as the ones before it. But they are the best thing to going all out on coils which are super expensive and hard to dial in and setup correctly. These things are pretty awesome. However I am still getting over how much they set me back though. once you get past that part the are hands down awesome!
Sponsored

alphalife9

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Z51 C6, Sting Gray JLUR
I haven't seen much on the leaking outside of needing to top them off once a year. I'll google it but if you have some links I would like to read up on it.
It's been a while but I found a lot of posts throughout various Jeep forums. I didn't save the links unfortunately. I was looking into them because I also love the concept of how they work.

alphalife9

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Z51 C6, Sting Gray JLUR
They redid the shocks for the JL. they are specifically bnuilt for the JL. I love the concept of them. will have to see if the suffer the same issues as the ones before it. But they are the best thing to going all out on coils which are super expensive and hard to dial in and setup correctly. These things are pretty awesome. However I am still getting over how much they set me back though. once you get past that part the are hands down awesome!
Fingers crossed the new design has no issues :)

Maybe @Metalcloak can chime in on the changes made to the JL version of the six pack shock.

CloakedJL

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
metalcloak.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Sales/Tech Support- Metalcloak
Fingers crossed the new design has no issues :)

Maybe @Metalcloak can chime in on the changes made to the JL version of the six pack shock.
The 6Pak shock in general has evolved over the years a ton. Early years did have leaking issues and design changes were made to help with that and since then we have gotten most of those back and customers the new generation of shocks. We still continue to try to improve on them if we can, because we always know it can be better. So we added a bushing to one end, instead of 2 heim ends. This allowed us to lock the shock in a fixed position and made installs much easier. This was all done on the JK and TJ platform already and was carried over to the JL. The JL 6Paks are specifically tuned for the coil rate and weight of the JL. We valve to optimize on road ride quality, as we know most of these Jeeps see a lot of road time as well.

The 6Pak shocks do require nitrogen refills from time to time, I like to refill once a year, but the shocks themselves will tell you when they are low. The body of the shock will normally sit in the middle of the shafts and once it starts floating up or down it is a sign one side is a bit low. Full rebuilds of the shocks will need to be done every once in a while, this can vary based on use, where you will send the shock to us and we replace seals and check for any damage. This is the same as any other high end shock such as Fox or King.

alphalife9

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Z51 C6, Sting Gray JLUR
The 6Pak shock in general has evolved over the years a ton. Early years did have leaking issues and design changes were made to help with that and since then we have gotten most of those back and customers the new generation of shocks. We still continue to try to improve on them if we can, because we always know it can be better. So we added a bushing to one end, instead of 2 heim ends. This allowed us to lock the shock in a fixed position and made installs much easier. This was all done on the JK and TJ platform already and was carried over to the JL. The JL 6Paks are specifically tuned for the coil rate and weight of the JL. We valve to optimize on road ride quality, as we know most of these Jeeps see a lot of road time as well.

The 6Pak shocks do require nitrogen refills from time to time, I like to refill once a year, but the shocks themselves will tell you when they are low. The body of the shock will normally sit in the middle of the shafts and once it starts floating up or down it is a sign one side is a bit low. Full rebuilds of the shocks will need to be done every once in a while, this can vary based on use, where you will send the shock to us and we replace seals and check for any damage. This is the same as any other high end shock such as Fox or King.
Thanks for the detailed response! I am guessing the nitrogen refill process is fairly simple.

Sponsored

techsm1

First Name
scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 rubicon
I have the game changer for my JL but waiting for the wheels to come in? Should be this week. I live in Georgetown what part of Austin do you live would love to take a look at your Jeep in person.

swampcat14

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.c4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Google Data Center Maintenance Program Manager
Vehicle Showcase

kholding

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Any updates on this build? Would love to see pictures with the KMC wheels!
Sponsored