Mike S.

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
Hi all,

I would really appreciate your help/insight on this. I was one of the unfortunate ones that experienced the hinge corrosion on my hood, doors, swing gate, etc. After a trip to the dealer and a call to JeepCares, the dealership took in my 2019 JL Unlimited Rubicon for repair (they are going to provide four new doors and paint the hood and swing gate hinges). After two weeks, I got a call from the dealer indicating that the Jeep now has a bad BCM, and the part will take up to 45 days to receive. Apparently there is a shortage of spare BCMs right now.

To be clear, there were no issues with the Jeep prior to bringing it in (except for the corrosion on the hinges). There are fewer than 10K miles on this Jeep! How frequently do BCMs go bad? This is a first for me, and I have been driving for a long time. It feels like either (1) something went wrong with the paint work and the dealer is looking for more time to fix, or (2) incompetent/poorly trained technicians damaged the BCM somehow. What do you all think?
Sponsored

Yogi

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
GM, P.Log, CITT, 310T
Hmm ... sounds like somebody shorted out the electrical system while they were hooking/unhooking the battery ... or hit it with welder with the electrical system live.

Alternatively, it could very well have been the body control module going bad, albeit typically there are prior signs that they are not long for this world i.e. one system does not work but the others are okay. A complete failure all on its own is quite rare.

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Hi all,

I would really appreciate your help/insight on this. I was one of the unfortunate ones that experienced the hinge corrosion on my hood, doors, swing gate, etc. After a trip to the dealer and a call to JeepCares, the dealership took in my 2019 JL Unlimited Rubicon for repair (they are going to provide four new doors and paint the hood and swing gate hinges). After two weeks, I got a call from the dealer indicating that the Jeep now has a bad BCM, and the part will take up to 45 days to receive. Apparently there is a shortage of spare BCMs right now.

To be clear, there were no issues with the Jeep prior to bringing it in (except for the corrosion on the hinges). There are fewer than 10K miles on this Jeep! How frequently do BCMs go bad? This is a first for me, and I have been driving for a long time. It feels like either (1) something went wrong with the paint work and the dealer is looking for more time to fix, or (2) incompetent/poorly trained technicians damaged the BCM somehow. What do you all think?
This sounds like it's been wrongly diagnosed and you'll have a totally different issue come up after the BCM is replaced un-necessarily.
Sponsored