JLUR Hunt Dog Platform

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
This post is about a rear dog platform build with the rear seat removed.

I bought my Jeep to hunt with. I hunt mostly upland game birds these days. I used to do big game, rifle and bow. But I love to shoot upland game over my pointer. I'm mostly with one other hunter/friend and his dog. We try not to do any "technical" 4 wheeling as this isn't the goal. Just getting to some good bird country, mostly. My crewcab truck can do most of our outings, but there are some rougher and narrower treks that demand a smaller, more nimble vehicle. That's why I bought the Jeep.

Mk 1 platform was a bit flexy and narrow near the doors. It was 3/8" plywood at 48" wide.

Mk 2 platform is a 1/2" plywood and fully extends door to door at 53". It will get a 3" thick foam pad from the back of the seat to the tailgate, as the dogs need their comfort on those bumpy roads. I retained access to the rear floor storage box, but will have to lift the pad to get to it. This platform picks up the 2 most forward bolts that retain the tiedown rings on the floor. The front "legs" are 3/4 x 9 1/2" high plywood, cut into 2 pieces, 14" long, attached with 4 2" long bugle screws. It all goes in an out thru the side door. There's enough room under there for a 4 or 5 shotguns in soft cases.

More instructions/details:

Get a sheet of 1/2" plywood cut to 53" x 39". To cut the rear portions around the fenderwells, you can either eyeball it or cut some cardboard templates to fit and transfer to the wood. I used the 2 most forward tiedown ring bolts and some 60 mm long 8mm replacement flush head bolts from Home D to anchor it further to the rear than the seat studs. This allows for a shallower angle, since the front is elevated slightly for more storage. To transfer the hole locations for the bolts, run some bolts in the holes you're using so they stick up a bit, lay the platform in place after you've finished cutting the shape to fit, adjust it around til you're happy with the location, checking with the doors closed. You don't want the plywood to contact the doors or seats. Give about an inch or so clearance, the thick foam will fill any voids easily. Once you like the fit, find the bolt locations you screwed a bolt into under the platform, use a rubber mallet to smack the plywood above the bolt. This will leave a mark where you can find the bolt location when you take the platform out and drill it.

I put tall legs in the front to get more room underneath for storage/shotguns. There's a little angle to my platform, but it's barely noticeable. I wanted to be able to put shotguns, ammo, bird bags and most of all, dead birds, under there to keep them away from the dogs on the trip back to camp/home.

20191020_184621_resized.jpg

20191020_184728_resized.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

¤|||||||¤

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL

I bought my Jeep to hunt with. I hunt mostly upland game birds these days. I used to do big game, rifle and bow. But I love to shoot upland game over my pointer. I'm mostly with one other hunter/friend and his dog. We try not to do any "technical" 4 wheeling as this isn't the goal. Just getting to some good bird country, mostly. My crewcab truck can do most of our outings, but there are some rougher and narrower treks that demand a smaller, more nimble vehicle. That's why I bought the Jeep.

Mk 1 platform was a bit flexy and narrow near the doors. It was 3/8" plywood at 48" wide.

Mk 2 platform is a 1/2" plywood and fully extends door to door at 53". It will get a 3" thick foam pad from the back of the seat to the tailgate, as the dogs need their comfort on those bumpy roads. I retained access to the rear floor storage box, but will have to live the pad to get to it. This platform picks up the 2 most forward bolts that retain the tiedown rings on the floor. The front "legs" are 3/4 x 9 1/2" high plywood, cut into 2 pieces, 14" long, attached with 4 2" long bugle screws. It all goes in an out thru the side door. There's enough room under there for a 4 or 5 shotguns in soft cases.

Gotta be honest here.

Until this post I thought your profile picture was the same picture of the TRex everyone puts on there winshield chasing the Jeep.

Never really looked at it until now....ITS A POINTER!!! I'll be damned

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
Nice work!

In case you don't want to make a 3rd version, Springtail makes a rear seat delete platform that's pretty affordable.

OP
OP
roaniecowpony

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Gotta be honest here.

Until this post I thought your profile picture was the same picture of the TRex everyone puts on there winshield chasing the Jeep.

Never really looked at it until now....ITS A POINTER!!! I'll be damned
Get to the point! LOL
I have some hats I had embroidered with a pointer and "GET TO THE POINT!" All my hunting friends just have to have one.

Sponsored

OP
OP
roaniecowpony

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Mearns quail in SE AZ.

DSC00432.JPG

DSC00502.JPG

OP
OP
roaniecowpony

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Upland bird medicine. Works for everything from quail to pheasant...if I do my job. It's a custom Italian .410 sxs by Ferlib. 28" bbls, 5 1/2 lbs and 3" chambers.

20191008_054559_resized (1).jpg

OP
OP
roaniecowpony

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
OP
OP
roaniecowpony

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Nice work!

In case you don't want to make a 3rd version, Springtail makes a rear seat delete platform that's pretty affordable.

I looked at it. $350 for what I made with $35 in materials....I'm gonna stick with Mk 2. I also put a 9 1/2" rise in the front of mine to allow for more shotgun space. I think the Springtail shelf is about level or a few inches shorter at the front than mine. But, thank you. It's always nice to have options.

SABLE RHINO

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU SPORT S 3.6L

Mk 2 platform is a 1/2" plywood and fully extends door to door at 53". It will get a 3" thick foam pad from the back of the seat to the tailgate, as the dogs need their comfort on those bumpy roads. I retained access to the rear floor storage box, but will have to lift the pad to get to it. This platform picks up the 2 most forward bolts that retain the tiedown rings on the floor. The front "legs" are 3/4 x 9 1/2" high plywood, cut into 2 pieces, 14" long, attached with 4 2" long bugle screws. It all goes in an out thru the side door. There's enough room under there for a 4 or 5 shotguns in soft cases.

Love it! Do you have a template? Great looking dogs!

Sponsored

OP
OP
roaniecowpony

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Love it! Do you have a template? Great looking dogs!
No template other than the part itself. Get a sheet of 1/2" plywood cut to 53" x 39". To cut the rear portions around the fenderwells, you can either eyeball it or cut some cardboard templates to fit and transfer to the wood. I used the 2 most forward tiedown ring bolts and some 60 mm long 8mm replacement flush head bolts from Home D to anchor it further to the rear than the seat studs. This allows for a shallower angle, since the front is elevated slightly for more storage. To transfer the hole locations for the bolts, run some bolts in the holes you're using so they stick up a bit, lay the platform in place after you've finished cutting the shape to fit, adjust it around til you're happy with the location, checking with the doors closed. You don't want the plywood to contact the doors or seats. Give about an inch or so clearance, the thick foam will fill any voids easily. Once you like the fit, find the bolt locations you screwed a bolt into under the platform, use a rubber mallet to smack the plywood above the bolt. This will leave a mark where you can find the bolt location when you take the platform out and drill it.

I put tall legs in the front to get more room underneath for storage/shotguns. There's a little angle to my platform, but it's barely noticeable. I wanted to be able to put shotguns, ammo, bird bags and most of all, dead birds, under there to keep them away from the dogs on the trip back to camp/home.

mikeborden

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge 2500
Roanie,
I don't have a JL yet, but saving a little cash and then will pull the trigger. However, I upland hunt too and was hoping I could use the JL to do my hunting with. Currently, I have a 3/4 ton Dodge that I have a big dog box in, but mostly hunt out of a friends Honda pilot since it gets better mileage and it's newer. We put two "wire" crates in the back of it to put the dogs in and then our hunting gear in the rear seat. I had a CJ7 before, but could only get one mid-size to large crate in the back. I'm thinking since the JL is wider I should be able to get two of the crates or the "wire" crates in the back, but not really sure. So, I'm asking if you use any type of crates in your JL and what are they? Any more pics on how it's loaded for a hunt by chance?

OP
OP
roaniecowpony

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Roanie,
I don't have a JL yet, but saving a little cash and then will pull the trigger. However, I upland hunt too and was hoping I could use the JL to do my hunting with. Currently, I have a 3/4 ton Dodge that I have a big dog box in, but mostly hunt out of a friends Honda pilot since it gets better mileage and it's newer. We put two "wire" crates in the back of it to put the dogs in and then our hunting gear in the rear seat. I had a CJ7 before, but could only get one mid-size to large crate in the back. I'm thinking since the JL is wider I should be able to get two of the crates or the "wire" crates in the back, but not really sure. So, I'm asking if you use any type of crates in your JL and what are they? Any more pics on how it's loaded for a hunt by chance?
Nah, no crates. Just let the dogs lie in the back on a big ol foam rubber pad covered with a shipping blanket. At least that is the way my crewcab is setup currently. That's the general approach for this Jeep platform. The dogs work hard, I like to give them some comfort and access to water.

Back seat of my pickup folded up with the platform I built.

20190310_110055.jpg

20190310_105515.jpg

20190310_105409.jpg

20190310_105150.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited: