Sponsored

JLUR feels like steering/wheels freezing when turning

Ybohannon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2008
When making a turn, it feels like steering/wheels/something is freezing. Only lasts for a second. It's done it now about 8 times. I thought maybe it had to do with being a manual and the way I was driving, but I don't think that's it. As I was taking a curve at about 30 MPH today, it did it. Posted about it last night in clutch gang thread, and it was mentioned that someone else might have mentioned this problem, but I couldn't find anything. Any ideas? Not sure if the dealer would be able to recreate because it doesn't happen all the time. Trying to describe it to my husband today, told him it feels like when you don't put the blinker on in the Tahoe and it wants to kind of correct you back into your lane.
Sponsored

ring_zero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting-Gray JLUR
When making a turn, it feels like steering/wheels/something is freezing. Only lasts for a second. It's done it now about 8 times. I thought maybe it had to do with being a manual and the way I was driving, but I don't think that's it. As I was taking a curve at about 30 MPH today, it did it. Posted about it last night in clutch gang thread, and it was mentioned that someone else might have mentioned this problem, but I couldn't find anything. Any ideas? Not sure if the dealer would be able to recreate because it doesn't happen all the time. Trying to describe it to my husband today, told him it feels like when you don't put the blinker on in the Tahoe and it wants to kind of correct you back into your lane.
The thread that @Kevin8086 created concerning his steering related issue(s) is posted - HERE

Iggy

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Perhaps someone slipped the transfer case lever into 4WD High? It would have that same feeling.

Obi.Wan.Shawnobi

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gobi Tan 4Xe Rubicon
Occupation
Elevator Techinician.
yeah this is a thing. the electric- hydraulic assist sometimes fights the steering input. I have had it happen multiple times but only at slow speeds. so far nothing scary

Sponsored

Obi.Wan.Shawnobi

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Elevator Techinician.
digging into an old thread and this is a general question but does anyone think this has to do with tire PSI? maybe if your PSI is low like in the video the vehicle limits aggressive input as to limit loss of control??? I had this problem slightly a few times but thinking about it, i had my tires deflated.

Iggy

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
digging into an old thread and this is a general question but does anyone think this has to do with tire PSI? maybe if your PSI is low like in the video the vehicle limits aggressive input as to limit loss of control??? I had this problem slightly a few times but thinking about it, i had my tires deflated.
It might be the electronic stabilizing system is sensing slippage (due to the tires having too much or not enough grip) and is applying opposite side/end braking to counter the condition. I would think a ESS indicator would light.

Obi.Wan.Shawnobi

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Elevator Techinician.
It might be the electronic stabilizing system is sensing slippage (due to the tires having too much or not enough grip) and is applying opposite side/end braking to counter the condition. I would think a ESS indicator would light.
Yeah, agreed. Locking up the steering input is never good.

Obi.Wan.Shawnobi

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Elevator Techinician.
if you have the 2.0 turbo, look in the TSB section for a TSB to correct a ground strap...
I do... this is interesting... however, i would rather blow up my Wrangler than take it back to my S#!!ty dealership. I'll hunt down the TSB and do it myself. Thanks

Sponsored

TopPinArcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1987 Toyota, 2017 Crosstrek, 2008 Gulf Stream Vista Cruiser
Occupation
Environmental Technician
Mine started feeling like it was sticking when turning from 12 to 11 but didn’t do it all the time. I have a steer smarts front end and Fox ATS. I just got the new TSB steering box upgrade and everything is perfect. SIGNIFICANTLY better.. I had also started to experience the loose/wander issue...that is GONE

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I do... this is interesting... however, i would rather blow up my Wrangler than take it back to my S#!!ty dealership. I'll hunt down the TSB and do it myself. Thanks
Somehow I understand...I think we all have war stories here.

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Mine started feeling like it was sticking when turning from 12 to 11 but didn’t do it all the time. I have a steer smarts front end and Fox ATS. I just got the new TSB steering box upgrade and everything is perfect. SIGNIFICANTLY better.. I had also started to experience the loose/wander issue...that is GONE
There's a new TSB.

It replaces the one that I used to change the steering gear out.
* replaces steering gear
* good instructions so the tech puts in the right parts (fingers crossed!)
* alignment
* new track bar

Obi.Wan.Shawnobi

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Elevator Techinician.
Somehow I understand...I think we all have war stories here.
Took it to a dealership, 3 dealerships away, and had a great experience, they swapped it out even though I have an aftermarket steering stabilizer , 37's and a lift.. Sucks I have to drive 35 miles to get work done but that's still not bad.

Totally resolved the drive ability issues.

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Took it to a dealership, 3 dealerships away, and had a great experience, they swapped it out even though I have an aftermarket steering stabilizer , 37's and a lift.. Sucks I have to drive 35 miles to get work done but that's still not bad.

Totally resolved the drive ability issues.
Well done Shawn!
Sponsored