JLUR EVO Engine Skid Plate Long Term Test Review

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
I agree. I wish it didn’t lose what it does. It’s not tons but even at an 1” or so they could have done better. I think the more extreme you wheel the less that skid is for you.
I don't think I am extreme, but I am not into losing clearance.
Sponsored

track.n.trail

First Name
Owen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Software Engineer
Depending on droop amount your driveshaft will contact the extra cross member, and the quadratec skid plate it hangs down lower. I cut mine in half and added reinforcement and i still hit it. I hit it before coilovers too
I cut the Quadratec skids while I had them too. There is a lip on the front of the skid right where the drive shaft droops. Cut that off and no longer had DS interference at full droop.

However the Evo skid is much better in this regard - no driveshaft interference to speak of.

AZ Hella

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Take a look at ASFIR’s skid If your going aluminum. It uses the factory crossmember and has taken huge hits on my recently totaled Jeep. It will be going back on my new Jeep. It’s very affordable. Not made in America, it’s made in Israel. I highly recommend it.

SlickRickMotoADV

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara, 2017 Miata Club RF
Take a look at ASFIR’s skid If your going aluminum. It uses the factory crossmember and has taken huge hits on my recently totaled Jeep. It will be going back on my new Jeep. It’s very affordable. Not made in America, it’s made in Israel. I highly recommend it.
Been researching for days now on which plate to get, and I think ASFIR is the one. Just watched their install video and it's very straightforward, doesn't look to lose any clearance, maintains the cross members. Affordable too.

How long did yours take to arrive from Israel?

Just verifying also that it fits USDM models? It says that it was developed for UK spec.

AZ Hella

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Been researching for days now on which plate to get, and I think ASFIR is the one. Just watched their install video and it's very straightforward, doesn't look to lose any clearance, maintains the cross members. Affordable too.

How long did yours take to arrive from Israel?

Just verifying also that it fits USDM models? It says that it was developed for UK spec.
It only took about 3 days to get it from Israel. I don’t know if that’s the norm or not. They have really good customer service.

Sponsored

SlickRickMotoADV

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara, 2017 Miata Club RF
It only took about 3 days to get it from Israel. I don’t know if that’s the norm or not. They have really good customer service.
Yep, they already got back to me. They are fully booked for production right now, but can still be ordered 6-8 weeks delivery time. I don't mind waiting for quality product.

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLU Rubicon 3.6 V6
Occupation
Medical Affairs
Forgive my ignorance but when I watched the banned site’s video for installing the engine/transmission skid and when viewing the product description online, why has there been talk about the Evo skid stressing the frame? Don’t you just re-attach the OEM cross-member?

Just to confirm I’m looking at the right product too…

https://www.northridge4x4.com/fits/...facturing-3-6l-protek-engine-trans-skid-black

The ASFIR is on the radar as is the MORE one.

Thanks in advance for explaining to a noob.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
If you’re in the market for aluminum take a look at Artec. Nice smooth belly, countersunk hex head bolts. On my 2.0T eTorque, rattle can painted red because I hear it increases HP... ;)
Jeep Wrangler JL JLUR EVO Engine Skid Plate Long Term Test Review 259B813D-A5F3-4141-9B7C-A86C850EC462

OP
OP

grandsrus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Forgive my ignorance but when I watched the banned site’s video for installing the engine/transmission skid and when viewing the product description online, why has there been talk about the Evo skid stressing the frame? Don’t you just re-attach the OEM cross-member?

Just to confirm I’m looking at the right product too…

https://www.northridge4x4.com/fits/...facturing-3-6l-protek-engine-trans-skid-black

The ASFIR is on the radar as is the MORE one.

Thanks in advance for explaining to a noob.
Mine has a smaller subframe cross member that had to be removed. Main issue is that the EVO skid needs more clearance next to the exhaust.

Sponsored

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Medical Affairs
Mine has a smaller subframe cross member that had to be removed. Main issue is that the EVO skid needs more clearance next to the exhaust.
I think what confused me is in the video from the other site, he puts that small cross beam back on. Is that not the case for this skid? This is all new to me so I’m not sure how removing that beam just for the install, then putting it back on can be so detrimental to the Jeep when all is said and done.

OP
OP

grandsrus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I think what confused me is in the video from the other site, he puts that small cross beam back on. Is that not the case for this skid? This is all new to me so I’m not sure how removing that beam just for the install, then putting it back on can be so detrimental to the Jeep when all is said and done.
Can you show m the video? I dont know if we are talking the same cross member.

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Medical Affairs
I’ll PM you since it’s from the banned site.

OP
OP

grandsrus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
The cross member i am referring to is the transmission skid bar. small bar with 3 bolts. It actually stiffens the front a little and i noticed on mine when it was gone, hence why other skids attach at the frame rails transmission bolt locations.

Mr.BoJangles_91

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I've recently installed mine and have gone roughly 500 miles. I am getting some major wind humming noise coming from somewhere down there. Never heard this before installing the engine, transmission and exhaust skids.

It is so loud and pretty much unbearable.... Anyone else having this issue?
Sponsored