JLUR enclosed trailer towing

ETav8r

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I am getting ready to order a JLUR and plan to add a 2” lift and 35’s. Have to have the cool dad vehicle... My son is racing go karts and I am looking to buy a 12-16’ v-nose trailer to haul it to races. I don’t know what my limitations will be with that set up. I don’t know where the sweet spot is. It will be under the 3500 limit. Anyone towing something similar? 6x12, 6x14?
Thanks in advance
Sponsored

americonium

First Name
Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Black
Occupation
Engineering Technician

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
You're going to want mirror extensions. I suggest the Rampage 8605 mirrors with the adapters from https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-JT-Gladiator-JL-Wrangler-Rampage-Tow-Mirror-Adapters-/333735970569

This was the most elegant solution I could find. I have a pop up camper that sits five feet tall when folded. I hope you have the tow package, it wasn't pleasant to install. Good luck.
I am in the process of buying a pop up camper and it looks like I'm going to be pushing right up up on the Jeep's limits.
I just took my Jeep to the scales at the local dump and it weighs in at 5455 lbs with the following...
Full tank of gas
Full CO2 tank
Winch
Steel bumpers (factory)
Me
37s on 17" KMC beadlocks
Roof Rack

The total combined weight for our 4 doors is 8100 lbs. The pop up is 2440 which includes 20 gallons of water weight. Doing the math you can see I'm at 7895 lbs which leaves only 205 lbs for gear and supplies which I would say is really cutting it close and we will need to be throwing the gear and stuff into my wife's Jeep. Could you tell me your weights and general experiences while towing a pop up?

Last edited:

americonium

First Name
Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Black
Occupation
Engineering Technician
I am in the process of buying a pop up camper and it looks like I'm going to be pushing right up up on the Jeep's limits.
I just took my Jeep to the scales at the local dump and it weighs in at 5455 lbs with the following...
Full tank of gas
Full CO2 tank
Winch
Steel bumpers (factory)
Me
37s on 17" KMC beadlocks
Roof Rack

The total combined weight for our 4 doors is 8100 lbs. The pop up is 2440 which includes 20 gallons of water weight. Doing the math you can see I'm at 7895 lbs which leaves only 205 lbs for gear and supplies which I would say is really cutting it close and we will need to be throwing the gear and stuff into my wife's Jeep. Could you tell me your weights and general experiences while towing a pop up?
I've haven't had a chance to weigh it yet, I spent all last summer repairing the damn thing, so I won't be weighing it until the tires and brakes have been replaced. At that point I'll see if it's worth keeping it, or swapping it out with something smaller.

Abnmarine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys
You won’t need mirror extenders with a 6’ wide trailer. If you want you could add a Furion rear observation camera to see behind you while driving.
You will need to install a brake controller and Id recommend a weight distribution hitch to help with towing. Several of us tow 6x20 campers and these items work for us.

Sponsored

OP
OP

ETav8r

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Thanks for all the information. Do any of you towing a camper have problems with the width of the camper? Will the jeep handle a ~7.5x14 v nose? I don’t know how wide the campers you guys are towing. We are only going 200 miles each way maximum.

Abnmarine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys
Thanks for all the information. Do any of you towing a camper have problems with the width of the camper? Will the jeep handle a ~7.5x14 v nose? I don’t know how wide the campers you guys are towing. We are only going 200 miles each way maximum.
I tow an Rpod that is 8’ wide but that includes the wheels. The box is smaller and close to 76” wide. I can easily see down the side of the camper with my stock mirrors.

My camper weighs 3,200 lbs and I’ve already towed it from Oklahoma to Florida with no problems.

xaugievike

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Clubs

I just got a 6x10 in December (it's more like 13' with the v-nose) with extra height for a lifted golf cart.

Pulls great, the V-nose definitely helps.

I did some Karting a few years ago....tons of fun. Enjoy it.

OP
OP

ETav8r

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Thanks for your input. As you know, you will always wish you got bigger with karting. I don’t think I want to try a 7x16 v nose. Can’t wait for the snow to stop so we can get back at it.
Sponsored