Sponsored

JLUR: Different Rims at Front and Rear. Recommended Tire Sizes?

jenzeee

First Name
Jens
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Regarding new 20' rims I am considering different dimension at front and rear.

Fuel Beast D564
Front: 20x10 (-18) or 20x9 (Offset +1)
Rear: 20x12 (-44)

Questions:
Different wheel dimensions, is this ok or just a bad idea? If bad, why?
Recommended tire sizes/dimensions to achieve matching diameters for 35' tires?
Any advice on tire brands/models?

Note: 35' tires wanted. Mainly driving on-road (95%).
Desired preferences are MPG efficiency and comfort. - It's a Wrangler, yes I know.
Sponsored

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
I've never seen someone run different size wheels on a jeep. Strip cars do this but not jeeps. It will look stupid.

20 inch wheels will decrease comfort of ride. Additionally, most 35x12.50r20 tires are E or F rated which will lead to a harsher ride.

20 inch wheels are heavy, 35 inch E/F rated tires are heavy. Both will result in MPG loss.

I'm not certain what your vision is with your jeep but it doesn't sound good.

OP
OP
jenzeee

jenzeee

First Name
Jens
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I've never seen someone run different size wheels on a jeep. Strip cars do this but not jeeps. It will look stupid.

20 inch wheels will decrease comfort of ride. Additionally, most 35x12.50r20 tires are E or F rated which will lead to a harsher ride.

20 inch wheels are heavy, 35 inch E/F rated tires are heavy. Both will result in MPG loss.

I'm not certain what your vision is with your jeep but it doesn't sound good.
Thanks for your feedback.

I already found out that there might be an issue with available tire sizes to match the diameter with different rims.

Let me ask this: if I go with 35x12.5 tires on 20x12 rims, what would be the best tire for on-road?

I found the Toyo Open Country A/T II which seems to be ok for mpg and comfort. Does anybody has a better recommendation?

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Sure you don't want 17s or 18s? And FWIW 20x12 -44 offset will barely fit into a regular sized parking space, stick out like a skateboard.

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
Thanks for your feedback.

I already found out that there might be an issue with available tire sizes to match the diameter with different rims.

Let me ask this: if I go with 35x12.5 tires on 20x12 rims, what would be the best tire for on-road?

I found the Toyo Open Country A/T II which seems to be ok for mpg and comfort. Does anybody has a better recommendation?
Some good options are:

BFG KO2
GY Duratrac
Procomp AT
Falcon A/T3W
General Grabber A/T 3

Sponsored

NathanG

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I'd put some Michelin Pilot Super Sports and look for some good lowering springs or just cut them.

ormandj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR X 4xe
If you really want to go this route, I would not do staggered widths. Since you're obviously building a street only vehicle, get Michelin tires.

I also echo the same sentiment, don't go with 20" wheels, for a multitude of reasons, but if you're going to do this, stick to Michelin tires to try and salvage what you can of the ride that your wheels are going to destroy.

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse
Gonna be fly, yo!

OP
OP
jenzeee

jenzeee

First Name
Jens
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I feel the sarcasm. However, it seems there's a proper solution:

FRONT
Rims: 20x10 -18 (Fuel D564)
Tires: 285/65R20 (BFG KO2) or 295/65R20 (Toyo AT II)

REAR
Rims: 20x12 -44 (Fuel D564)
Tyres: 35x12.5R20 (BFG KO2) or 325/60R20 (Toyo AT II)

:rock:

Thoughts??

UNC Rubicon

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Do you mind enlightening us (I can’t be the only one confused) on your thought process? What benefits do you believe you’ll gain from this set up?

In my opinion, it doesn’t seem practical - you won’t be able to properly rotate your tires. What size spare would you carry? If you go with the KO2s, they will be an inch shorter in the front and nearly an inch and a half more narrow.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jenzeee

jenzeee

First Name
Jens
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Do you mind enlightening us (I can’t be the only one confused) on your thought process? What benefits do you believe you’ll gain from this set up?

In my opinion, it doesn’t seem practical - you won’t be able to properly rotate your tires. What size spare would you carry? If you go with the KO2s, they will be an inch shorter in the front and nearly an inch and a half more narrow.

Thanks for your feedback. Not sure if I understand what you mean.

According to my calculation, the diameter of both wheels would be even with 1%, approx 0.3 inch deviation.
Please correct me if I am wrong!

Rotating tires is not so important to me. AFAIK for road driving, it's less relevant. I do not plan to carry a spare tire for the 20inch wheels. 99% of my driving is on roads. It's my daily vehicle.

Regarding my thought process, I find the 20x12 too massive for all wheels. Therefore the 20x10 in the front. Should have a positive effect on steering/handling and IMO also looks better. But I could be wrong..

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
This is an extreme example, but generally the direction you'd be headed, it's your Jeep so do what you like :)

Those rear 12-44s are really going to be out there though.

9a4d0cbf524de8f45c8ea53d797326ab.jpg

UNC Rubicon

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for your feedback. Not sure if I understand what you mean.

According to my calculation, the diameter of both wheels would be even with 1%, approx 0.3 inch deviation.
Please correct me if I am wrong!

Rotating tires is not so important to me. AFAIK for road driving, it's less relevant. I do not plan to carry a spare tire for the 20inch wheels. 99% of my driving is on roads. It's my daily vehicle.

Regarding my thought process, I find the 20x12 too massive for all wheels. Therefore the 20x10 in the front. Should have a positive effect on steering/handling and IMO also looks better. But I could be wrong..
The 285/65/20 for the front converts to 34.6x11.2 vs the 35x12.5 you plan to have on the rear. Granted, both will measure smaller on the Jeep but you’ve still got a significant difference in width.

Tire rotation plays a big part in tread life. You would be cutting yourself short by not rotating.

Ravager

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon Granite Crystal Metallic Station Wagon
Vehicle Showcase
won't lockers wear poorly if used? Seems the tires will try to revolve at different rates.

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse
If the tires are different diameters, the t-case will likely grenade the first time 4 wheel drive is engaged. But hey, not my circus, not my monkeys.
Sponsored