JLUR-D Maintenance

HellaTaz

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Hey everyone, total newbie here. My dad and I are picking up a 2021 JLUR-D in a few days and I'll admit that after some preliminary searches I'm not 100% thrilled with the ecodiesel but I'm gonna learn to love it. Not only will this be the 1st Jeep for either of us, but also the 1st diesel.
It's basically going to be his daily driver and my weekend warrior with the Hope's that down the road I can make it a full time off-roader.
My question(s) for you all is this:
My father will only be going 3.8 mi each way to work which is about 10 min with some lights and weekends we'll be taking it on different trips and off road. Should I have him start taking a long way home around town everyday to make sure it gets up to temp and regens as much as possible or would a weekly outing be enough?
I want to make this engine last as long as possible and so far my plan for that is bleeding the separator every 1000mi and oil, filter and fuel filter changes every 8000-8500mi. What additives should I look at throwing in and what's the best way to try and keep everything as soot free as possible since that seems to be the big killer of the ecodiesel.
My apologies for the long, disjointed post but my head has been reeling over this the last few weeks. I've got all my ducks in the same pond, I'll get em lined up better as time goes on.
Sponsored

JRINGO77

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
if you ever get to the full time off roader scenario definitely DPF, EGR delete and let that sucker breathe.

JNewton918

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Ecodiesel, 1987 Porsche 944 Turbo
A lot of owners including myself purchased a Scangauge 2. You can set it up to view/monitor various things that you might want to keep an eye on with your Eco diesel. I personally have mine setup to monitor DPF temp, turbo temp, if regen is on/off and soot mass level/%. Monitoring and seeing those parameters might help you with any concerns you may have. I personally know that I've was on my way home from running an errand and noticed I was in an active regen and decided to keep driving until it was completed which I wouldn't of known otherwise. I've included a link for amazon. Price has dropped previously, you'll just have to watch for it. Hope this helps.

https://www.amazon.com/ScanGauge-Au...d=1621871005&sprefix=scanguage,aps,181&sr=8-2

ScanGauge2.jpg

OP
OP
HellaTaz

HellaTaz

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
if you ever get to the full time off roader scenario definitely DPF, EGR delete and let that sucker breathe.
Oh yeah, I'm looking forward to the day I can rip all the EPA stuff out (though not the reason *why*)
A lot of owners including myself purchased a Scangauge 2. You can set it up to view/monitor various things that you might want to keep an eye on with your Eco diesel. I personally have mine setup to monitor DPF temp, turbo temp, if regen is on/off and soot mass level/%. Monitoring and seeing those parameters might help you with any concerns you may have. I personally know that I've was on my way home from running an errand and noticed I was in an active regen and decided to keep driving until it was completed which I wouldn't of known otherwise. I've included a link for amazon. Price has dropped previously, you'll just have to watch for it.
Thanks Ringo! I'll definitely get this ordered ASAP.

I know I can find the answers to a lot of my questions here and other places and I've been trying to hunt them down, so if there are any other threads that cover this feel free to just post the links. I know repetitious answers get real old, real fast but the JLUR-D has under 50mi on it and I wanna treat it like a king from the start to help minimize any issues.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I drive exclusively short hops and never see any passive regens. As previously mentioned, I use a Scangauge to monitor my soot levels. No need to worry even a little bit; the active regen system works like a champ.

Sponsored

SteveSRT

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Denali, 2021 392 Rubicon
I wouldn't use any additives. Just use the recommended oil in the manual and change the fuel filter before its at zero% I know I end up doing mine way earlier for the fuel. Try not to get diesel at a station if you see the fuel trucks filling the tanks, it stirs up stuff on the bottom. Diesel can grow algae. When you buy DEF fluid check the date on the bottle as it can go bad as soon as 6 months and even sooner if exposed to sunlight. If you get a magnet (just google DEF magnet) you can buy DEF in bulk from pretty much all truck stops at the pump. It's usually cheaper that way too.

Alex01

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Wrangler, 2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
My dad has an ecodiesel in his Grand Cherokee and commutes about the same if not less than your father will be. The engine has about 70k on it now and has never skipped a beat. I honestly wouldn't worry about the short commute. The regen will happen on its own on the highway and if it hasn't done it for a while a warning will appear that tells you it's x amount full and to continue driving. We do an oil change every time it gets to about 10% life using rotella T6 and a fuel filter change every other time - don't quote me that that's the same as the wrangler calls for though.

Sounds like you'll be using it for longer drives on the weekends so it shouldn't have any issues. I'd highly suggest, if you don't plan on it already, to learn to change the oil and fuel filters. The dealer quoted him 200+ so I've been doing it for him ever since. That said I believe you get 3 years free maintenance with all 2021 models through the wave program. Atleast thats what the guy told us when we picked up my wife's JLURD.

TIPOVR

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys EcoDiesel
Get the scanguage2 for sure, I also have a short work commute, so I find that when I'm getting close to 80% soot level to plan for a longer trip while it regens, takes about 10-15 minutes to get back down to 8% soot level depending on how many lights I hit or traffic driving between 35-50mph.

JRINGO77

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
It would be nice if you could force a regen before a wheeling trip for example. Not sure how these behave during a regen but you could smell the hot metal when it was done with a regen in my F250 before I took all that crap off. Even said don't park near flammable stuff like grass in the manual if a regen was recently completed.

Wrangler man

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUAD
Clubs

Hey everyone, total newbie here. My dad and I are picking up a 2021 JLUR-D in a few days and I'll admit that after some preliminary searches I'm not 100% thrilled with the ecodiesel but I'm gonna learn to love it. Not only will this be the 1st Jeep for either of us, but also the 1st diesel.
It's basically going to be his daily driver and my weekend warrior with the Hope's that down the road I can make it a full time off-roader.
My question(s) for you all is this:
My father will only be going 3.8 mi each way to work which is about 10 min with some lights and weekends we'll be taking it on different trips and off road. Should I have him start taking a long way home around town everyday to make sure it gets up to temp and regens as much as possible or would a weekly outing be enough?
I want to make this engine last as long as possible and so far my plan for that is bleeding the separator every 1000mi and oil, filter and fuel filter changes every 8000-8500mi. What additives should I look at throwing in and what's the best way to try and keep everything as soot free as possible since that seems to be the big killer of the ecodiesel.
My apologies for the long, disjointed post but my head has been reeling over this the last few weeks. I've got all my ducks in the same pond, I'll get em lined up better as time goes on.
Use (Blue DEF Platinum) pick it up at Lowe's cheapest price, just as you avoid cheap gas, avoid cheap DEF fluid. I've never had an issue and I buy my gas at the truck stops where the gas is constantly being turned over and fresh you can't fit the large nozzle from the big rigs pumps in the gas fill neck so don't worry about the dirt as someone else mentioned. I avoid the Arco type of gas stations where the diesel sits forever. Running around town on the weekdays and then stretching EcoDiesel legs on the weekends is perfect for a diesel. You should be just fine.
It's programmed the region without worrying about it. Just enjoy your diesel. If you want to monitor everything your diesels doing. I would opt and highly recommend iDash from Banks 100% American made. They have been in the diesel business forever best customer support you could ever ask for, Definitely worth every penny! Get the Pedal Monster that goes with it. It comes as a complete kit, easy to do yourself and I promise you you will absolutely fall in love with your diesel even more. It is not reprogramer and you very easily unplug when you go in for your dealer visits when you get it back simply plug it back in. No uploads no downloads and you can even operate it off your smartphone. I love the features, torque and horsepower display is Awesome!

Sponsored

OP
OP
HellaTaz

HellaTaz

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Awesome info everyone, it's certainly helped put my mind at ease! For my next trick, let's see if I can convince Pop's....

Wrangler man

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUAD
Clubs

It would be nice if you could force a regen before a wheeling trip for example. Not sure how these behave during a regen but you could smell the hot metal when it was done with a regen in my F250 before I took all that crap off. Even said don't park near flammable stuff like grass in the manual if a regen was recently completed.
Not sure why you are on this post if the only thing you bring to the table is about your F-250. FIX OR REPAIR DAILY. Happy you were able to take all your crap off and have zero issues and zero emission test issues. I would say 95% of the EcoDiesel owners here are still under warranty it would be foolish for us to start tearing things off our vehicle. Just saying....

JRINGO77

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Not sure why you are on this post if the only thing you bring to the table is about your F-250. FIX OR REPAIR DAILY. Happy you were able to take all your crap off and have zero issues and zero emission test issues. I would say 95% of the EcoDiesel owners here are still under warranty it would be foolish for us to start tearing things off our vehicle. Just saying....
Oh man so sorry didn't realize you were the Jeep diesel forum police. What a dickhead. Did i suggest taking anything off anyone else's vehicle? 5 years and 115k miles and zero issues on the Ford good luck with that luck on the Jeep buddy. What an idiot.

SteveSRT

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Denali, 2021 392 Rubicon
I thought the same thing about a regen button. It sure would be nice if it was like the big rigs where you could either force it into a regen before the trip or cancel it if you are in an area that could be a fire hazard. All of our trucks have a cancel button and we can program them to allow a manual regen too if no check engine lights are on.

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
I now have about 13k on our 2021 JLURD. Had a 2018 Grand diesel up to ~60k miles previously. As other have said, check the fuses when you are doing the walk-around with the dealer! They will not be fully seated and this can cause all sorts of symptoms early-on.

You are right to have some concern over the soot build-up, especially with your dad's short commute. A longer drive on the weekends will help. Regens seem to run/complete best on the highway, not around town at lower speeds. Our WK2 seemed like it was always giving us the "Regen in Progress, Keep Driving" message, especially just when pulling into the neighborhood. No such issues with the JLU. DEF consumption should be around 3% fuel consumption (I think I remember that) and I'm tracking just about there.

I'd suggest getting your DEF from a truck stop. They pump tons of it so it will always be fresh. You also get to fill it like you would the fuel tank, and it cuts off when full. The cost is usually MUCH cheaper than buying the cartons from Lowes/HD/Wallyworld/etc. The tank on the JLU is smaller than most, and I find I have to refill about every 3k miles (was 10k in the Grand).

Oil changes are every 10k miles and shouldn't be an issue with that timing. With a new Jeep you should get the first 4 included in the Jeep Wave purchase program, so good to 50k. I had pretty good luck with these with my WK2, but had the first oil change done a couple weeks ago at Larry H Miller Jeep in Provo and they made an absolute mess of the engine bay, frame rails, and front suspension with the old oil and then failed to clean it up. Noticed when it left oil puddles in my garage.

I did the fuel filter every 15k on the WK2 and that seemed to work well (for the conditions I was driving and fueling), though there were double filters on that set-up. I'm planning on the same for this one, though I admit I have been putting it off not wanting to play in diesel until I have to.
Sponsored