JlUR Clutch Creaking

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
Update - I dropped my JLUR off at the dealer for steering and clutch recalls, diff and transfer case service... and creaking clutch.

They had the Jeep for 3 days. Got a call today I could pick it up. Asked about the clutch and was told “yes service tech heard it but it didn't happen every time pedal was depressed. Said Mechanically fine. I was offered two options -pay for a new clutch or turn the radio up!

Sure - buyers of a $100k wagoneer will love Jeep service! :giggle:
Today the dealer heard and acknowledged my creaking clutch. They even said how you can feel it in the pedal. So they are going to replace the clutch master cylinder and go from there.

They confirmed it is NOT a simple pedal creak. It is something more serious.

Oh they also ordered me one of those new steering boxes
Sponsored

sost1sg

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR; 2015 SRT Grand Cherokee
Today the dealer heard and acknowledged my creaking clutch. They even said how you can feel it in the pedal. So they are going to replace the clutch master cylinder and go from there.

They confirmed it is NOT a simple pedal creak. It is something more serious.

Oh they also ordered me one of those new steering boxes
Lucky you for finding the rare service tech who is willing to dig in.

Please share if/how they fix it. Also, what year is your Jeep and are you within the 12k clutch warranty?

It sucks how we pretty much have to play armchair mechanic with these dealer service departments.

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
Lucky you for finding the rare service tech who is willing to dig in.

Please share if/how they fix it. Also, what year is your Jeep and are you within the 12k clutch warranty?

It sucks how we pretty much have to play armchair mechanic with these dealer service departments.
It’s a 2018 with about 25k miles

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
Thanks Brian! Mine is a 2018 also but I’m at 40k. Please let me know if they’re able to fix your situation.
Will do. I know another guy on one of these creaking threads had his throw out bearing greased or something which fixed his issue temporarily. So we’ll see what this does.

Sponsored

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
Clutch creaking noise was not fixed by replacing clutch master cylinder and system bleed.

Not sure what the next step is. Service writer told me to call back if the noise came back. They suggested maybe something to do with the pressure plate springs. So if they’ll fix that under warranty I’ll do it but if not then I’ll just run it until something breaks.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Clutch creaking noise was not fixed by replacing clutch master cylinder and system bleed.

Not sure what the next step is. Service writer told me to call back if the noise came back. They suggested maybe something to do with the pressure plate springs. So if they’ll fix that under warranty I’ll do it but if not then I’ll just run it until something breaks.
Were sorry to hear of these ongoing concerns, intentsrig. Have you contacted the dealer again for repairs? Send us a private message with more details if you'd like assistance.

Kate
Jeep Cares

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
Were sorry to hear of these ongoing concerns, intentsrig. Have you contacted the dealer again for repairs? Send us a private message with more details if you'd like assistance.

Kate
Jeep Cares
I have but waiting for a call back

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I have but waiting for a call back
Understood, intentsrig. We see you sent us a private message, our team will continue to work with you there.

Kate
Jeep Cares

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
The Jeep care hung up on me haha. Told me the clutch is a wearable part with a 12k mile warranty. I was like yeah a part that has had 2 recalls related to it with the potential for a fire and mine has loud audible issues. No help they just went click. Goodbye.

Sponsored

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
The Jeep care hung up on me haha. Told me the clutch is a wearable part with a 12k mile warranty. I was like yeah a part that has had 2 recalls related to it with the potential for a fire and mine has loud audible issues. No help they just went click. Goodbye.
Sorry man...Typical FCA quality & service. :facepalm:

Last edited:

fdFifty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
I went through the whole pedal replacement nightmare last summer. Seemed to fix the issue but sure enough, it’s back again. Looks like the only answer is to deal with it for now. Can’t be without the Jeep for a whole month again.

I feel like it has to be a hydraulic issue. It’s strangely intermittent until it warms up and The noise/feel from the pedal seems to translate all the way down to the slave cylinder.

idk if anyone else has noticed this, but brake fluid seems to go dark really fast in this vehicle. There’s moisture or heat getting into it from somewhere. (Even post recall) I’d like to look at the reservoir on an auto and see if it’s the same way.

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
I went through the whole pedal replacement nightmare last summer. Seemed to fix the issue but sure enough, it’s back again. Looks like the only answer is to deal with it for now. Can’t be without the Jeep for a whole month again.

I feel like it has to be a hydraulic issue. It’s strangely intermittent until it warms up and The noise/feel from the pedal seems to translate all the way down to the slave cylinder.

idk if anyone else has noticed this, but brake fluid seems to go dark really fast in this vehicle. There’s moisture or heat getting into it from somewhere. (Even post recall) I’d like to look at the reservoir on an auto and see if it’s the same way.
Have not noticed my fluid going dark but at this point I am just going deal with it someday when I replace my clutch. It has been doing this for so long now that I hope it's just an annoyance and will never have something fully fail or seize.

fdFifty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Have not noticed my fluid going dark but at this point I am just going deal with it someday when I replace my clutch. It has been doing this for so long now that I hope it's just an annoyance and will never have something fully fail or seize.
Jeep Wrangler JL JlUR Clutch Creaking IMG_1451

This is what I pulled from the system back in August only 4 weeks after I had the recall service done. I'm pretty sure the fluid goes in clear when it's new. I know I've generally pulled better looking DOT 3 from my '79 F150 which is kind of crazy. I haven't messed with anything after 4th/3rd master/release cylinders were installed and the pedal was replaced. But I can see that the reservoir is definitely darker again. Just doesn't seem right to me.

And FWIW I have the center force and still have this issue. Seems like plenty of us with both stock and aftermarket clutches have this problem so I'd be shocked to find out it's actually something wrong with the clutch itself. But same hopes here. Hopefully just an annoyance that's not going to leave me in a bad spot down the road.

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
IMG_1451.jpeg

This is what I pulled from the system back in August only 4 weeks after I had the recall service done. I'm pretty sure the fluid goes in clear when it's new. I know I've generally pulled better looking DOT 3 from my '79 F150 which is kind of crazy. I haven't messed with anything after 4th/3rd master/release cylinders were installed and the pedal was replaced. But I can see that the reservoir is definitely darker again. Just doesn't seem right to me.

And FWIW I have the center force and still have this issue. Seems like plenty of us with both stock and aftermarket clutches have this problem so I'd be shocked to find out it's actually something wrong with the clutch itself. But same hopes here. Hopefully just an annoyance that's not going to leave me in a bad spot down the road.
Oh wow you have the centerforce and it is still doing it? I don't like that haha. Have you replaced the slave cylinder? Does the centerforce kit replace the throw out bearing? I'll go take a look at my fluid.

It does it only once warmed up and only when the clutch is depressed. I am not super familiar with exactly how it all works but something must be loosing it's grease? That is why I am thinking slave or the throw out bearing.

Edit: Yeah my fluid is the same color as yours and my master cylinder was replaced about 1.5k miles ago or so. Makes me wonder what it looks like brand new.
Sponsored