JLUR axle width?

cmb396

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crystal Granite JLUR
Are they wider than reg jl, and jk? Just bought some wheels with with an offset that worked fine on a jk, but stick pretty far on the JL Rubicon, like 2-3" further!!
Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Are they wider than reg jl, and jk? Just bought some wheels with with an offset that worked fine on a jk, but stick pretty far on the JL Rubicon, like 2-3" further!!
Yes. The rubi axles are 2.5” wider than JK.

The Sport and Sahara are 1” wider than JK.

JLR = 68”
JLS/S = 66.5”
JKS/S/R = 65.5”

norm807

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Punk'n Rubi
Yes. The rubi axles are 2.5” wider than JK.

The Sport and Sahara are 1” wider than JK.

JLR = 68”
JLS/S = 66.5”
JKS/S/R = 65.5”
Ok.. So if I have fuel wheels with 12.5 wide 33's on my JKU sport and have a JLU Rubi coming but don't want the wheels to stick out any further than they do on the JK, I will not be able to use my current wheels and tires. I wonder if I put the factory JL Rubi tires on my fuel wheels if that would be enough width difference to keep them about the same.. I struggle with wheel and tire size combinations..

norm807

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Punk'n Rubi
Norm807,
Like you, I had difficulty grasping tire profile ratios, rim offsets, and backspace. After HOURS of study (previous to your question) and a helpful website (pasted below), I believe I can contribute to your answer.
  • Your Fuel wheels probably have a 4.5 inch backspace, which is common in that line. If so, those wheels will appear to stick out a little bit more, about 3/4 inch more, on your JK than the stock wheels/tires appear to stick out on your JL Rubicon.
  • If you put those Fuel wheels/tires on your JL Rubicon they will stick out about 3 inches more than stock JL Rubi wheels/tires (after taking into account the wider tire, axle, and backspace).
  • If you mount the JK (12.5 inch wide) tires on your JL Rubi wheels and mount them on the Rubi they will stick out about .5 inches more than stock because the tires' extra width/bulge.
If my calculations are close, and if I understand your goals, I don't see an advantage to your swapping wheels/tires on the two Wranglers. Someone will chime in with more accurate figures if I've missed the mark too badly.

I also have a JK and a JL on order, both Rubicons, and have crunched these numbers endlessly. I decided to move my new Rubi wheels/tires to the JK for the added height (33s vs 32s) and buy wheels/tires for the soon-to-arrive Rubi (37s). Since the stock JK and JL wheels share the same specs there shouldn't be a clearance issue with the JK (2 inch lift). I spec'd my new Rubi wheels to be mounted slightly wider than stock (25mm vs. 44mm offset) to account for the 12.5 inch tire, netting essentially the same inside-the-wheelwell clearance as stock. If rubbing is an issue I'll adjust the bumpstops and steering stops, but others are running 12.5s on stock JL Rubis with no rubbing. My decreased offset stacks the deck for me in that regard.

Here is the website I found helpful: https://tiresize.com/wheel-offset-calculator/

Good luck.

Randy
Thanks for the reply and description. You did get my goal of swapping out the tires and rims between the JK sport and new JL rubi. I really like my all black wheels on my current JK and the way they currently stick out. But I don't see me liking them sticking out inches more. I have about 21K miles on my current JK tires and I rotate all 5, so they hardly have any wear, but given the visuals, I think my best option would be to get new tires/wheels and sell the upgraded JL rubi tires. Looks like I maybe able to make back about $1200ish depending on market.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Aren’t the fenders wider on the JL vs JK? So they may not stick out too much further. The axle is only 2.5” wider. 1.75” per side wider. I guess it really comes down to the back spacing required to clear the suspension.

Sponsored

OP
OP
cmb396

cmb396

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Aren’t the fenders wider on the JL vs JK? So they may not stick out too much further. The axle is only 2.5” wider. 1.75” per side wider. I guess it really comes down to the back spacing required to clear the suspension.
I'm gonna go with a no on this from the eye test. I haven't measured or seen them side by side, but after just looking at my friends jk. The JL flares seem narrower, especially the rears.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
OP
OP
cmb396

cmb396

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know this doesn't answer a lot of questions, but here is a comparison of my JLUR and my friends JK. Both have the same wheel/tire size offset and bs.

IMG_5145.JPG

IMG_5147.JPG

IMG_5168.JPG

norm807

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Punk'n Rubi
I know this doesn't answer a lot of questions, but here is a comparison of my JLUR and my friends JK. Both have the same wheel/tire size offset and bs.

IMG_5145.JPG

IMG_5147.JPG

IMG_5168.JPG
Yeah, I like the looks of the JK better with the tires not out as far. What wheels are in both? The same?

OP
OP
cmb396

cmb396

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Different wheels, but both 22x12, -44offset, 4.5" bs
Sponsored