JLUR 4xe Car & Driver July ‘21

cutandrun

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911 turbo, Mercedes G550, Rubicon 4xe
My last attempt to post this was deleted as a repost, but I don’t see it. Apologies if this is elsewhere.

Car and Driver really didn’t like the hybrid integration, but they did note that the 4xe is 1.3 seconds quicker to 60mph in 4-auto because torque is throttled back in 2wd. I will be running 4-auto exclusively. I want all the juice!

https://www.caranddriver.com/review...limited-rubicon-4xe-by-the-numbers/?source=nl
Sponsored

GreenJK

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JK, 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
It was a pretty unflattering article actually. My 4xe test drive was only a couple miles before I ordered one, but I didn’t notice that much disparity between the two systems. In fact, they seemed to like each other, but then I compare all the new Wranglers to my old 2008 JK, so they all seem pretty darn good to me.

OP
OP
cutandrun

cutandrun

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911 turbo, Mercedes G550, Rubicon 4xe
It was a pretty unflattering article actually. My 4xe test drive was only a couple miles before I ordered one, but I didn’t notice that much disparity between the two systems. In fact, they seemed to like each other, but then I compare all the new Wranglers to my old 2008 JK, so they all seem pretty darn good to me.
You have to remember that Car and Driver has a particular point of view. I don’t think a Wrangler has ever been on their 10 Best list. They put the Gladiator on it for one year, then dropped it. They’re never going to love a solid axle vehicle. It does not have the attributes they are looking for in the driving experience. I still think there are data points they report for the Wrangler are useful/interesting. They are the first I have seen to report on the performance difference between 4wd auto and 2wd and trace it back to engine programming.

sentience

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lexus GX, 2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Occupation
bureaucrat@gov
You have to remember that Car and Driver has a particular point of view. I don’t think a Wrangler has ever been on their 10 Best list. They put the Gladiator on it for one year, then dropped it. They’re never going to love a solid axle vehicle. It does not have the attributes they are looking for in the driving experience. I still think there are data points they report for the Wrangler are useful/interesting. They are the first I have seen to report on the performance difference between 4wd auto and 2wd and trace it back to engine programming.
Believe it or not, the Jeep Wrangler did win a head to head comparison against the Hummer H3 Alpha in 2008. Though, you would have never guessed it reading the article.

https://www.caranddriver.com/review...2008-jeep-wrangler-unlimited-comparison-test/

The magazine is called car and driver. And that, frankly, is what they are good at. Off-roading isn’t their forte.

Oh, btw, here’s the link to the other article.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/car-and-driver-trashes-the-4xe.75096/

Echo4papa

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer
It's just one idiot who sounds like he didn't spend much time with the 4xe and doesn't like the Wrangler in general.

This guy has a diffferent take...

4xe Electric Mode Review - C&D
Sponsored