OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Hi, I have a 2019 JLUR with this same issue. So glad that I am not the only that has noticed this problem. It is strange that some people notice this and some don't, mainly the service guy at the Jeep dealer near me. I have it there right now, for them to find a solution. I had them switch out the wheels and tires from a Sahara just to see if the Rubicon BF Goodrich K02's were the problem. Made no difference. Can't wait to pick it up tomorrow and try your fix. I am so hoping that it works. I can't stand driving it with that buffeting sound. Mine starts making that sound as soon as I start rolling. It's like every small imperfection in the road transmits that buffeting sound. Will let you know if your fix works for me. Thanks
I am fairly certain it will stop it. It is the flexing and pressure being introduced into the cabin that you are sensing.

I just ordered a 12" piece of 4" diameter foam (pretty stiff) and will be creating 3 pieces 4" tall. I am going to paint them black and insert them equidistant across the bar to be less conspicuous.
Sponsored

Hulk

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JLUR
I am fairly certain it will stop it. It is the flexing and pressure being introduced into the cabin that you are sensing.

I just ordered a 12" piece of 4" diameter foam (pretty stiff) and will be creating 3 pieces 4" tall. I am going to paint them black and insert them equidistant across the bar to be less conspicuous.
I finally put in a pool noodle. One of the good ones that you can pick up at Costco. You were so right. What a difference it makes. For the first time I could actually hear the tire treads on the street and the wine of the gears. It was so quiet inside my Jeep. The pool noodle is the perfect size to fit in that space and the perfect length. Thanks so much for your post. I can finally enjoy driving the jeep now. I was actually thinking about trading it in. That's how bad it was.

IMG_20200114_092206840.jpg

IMG_20200114_092214949.jpg

IMG_20200114_092200500.jpg

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I finally put in a pool noodle. One of the good ones that you can pick up at Costco. You were so right. What a difference it makes. For the first time I could actually hear the tire treads on the street and the wine of the gears. It was so quiet inside my Jeep. The pool noodle is the perfect size to fit in that space and the perfect length. Thanks so much for your post. I can finally enjoy driving the jeep now. I was actually thinking about trading it in. That's how bad it was.
You are most welcome. I hope to make the short 4" tall columns of foam to see if they work as well. My guess is that nearly all (if not all) JL hard tops have this issue and folks either live with it or do not realize the noise is there.

Sadly, FCA/Jeep could fix this rather easily by simply increasing the strength of the roof above the bar by adding a couple of reinforcing ribs before and after the bar to eliminate the "drum head flexing" effect on the roof top. We certainly should not be "living with this" on a modern vehicle.

@JeepCares - this is an issue that FCA should know about and fix.

Hulk

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JLUR
You are most welcome. I hope to make the short 4" tall columns of foam to see if they work as well. My guess is that nearly all (if not all) JL hard tops have this issue and folks either live with it or do not realize the noise is there.

Sadly, FCA/Jeep could fix this rather easily by simply increasing the strength of the roof above the bar by adding a couple of reinforcing ribs before and after the bar to eliminate the "drum head flexing" effect on the roof top. We certainly should not be "living with this" on a modern vehicle.

@JeepCares - this is an issue that FCA should know about and fix.
I have an open case with FCA right now about this. Will be contacting them Thursday with my findings. Hope more people step forward and let them know about this issue.

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
So I Rented a Rubicon and had this happen, and drove one at the dealer and it was fine. I just ordered a 2020 today. I am hoping I don’t have this issue. But I am thinking if I do I may drill a few small 8mm holes in that rib that runs across the roof and inject it with some structural pillar foam. Jeep actually uses that in MANY places on the body of the Jeep to increase the rigidity of some of the inner reinforcements and to quiet some road noise.

Sponsored

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So I Rented a Rubicon and had this happen, and drove one at the dealer and it was fine. I just ordered a 2020 today. I am hoping I don’t have this issue. But I am thinking if I do I may drill a few small 8mm holes in that rib that runs across the roof and inject it with some structural pillar foam. Jeep actually uses that in MANY places on the body of the Jeep to increase the rigidity of some of the inner reinforcements and to quiet some road noise.
Speaking only for myself, I will not drill into the roof panel, that is past what I consider an owner should have to do. The foam inserts have stopped my buffeting, but had they not Jeep would be fixing this, not me. I am also not sure that would stiffen the rib enough to stop the flexing, the rib is not very high or wide.

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
Speaking only for myself, I will not drill into the roof panel, that is past what I consider an owner should have to do. The foam inserts have stopped my buffeting, but had they not Jeep would be fixing this, not me. I am also not sure that would stiffen the rib enough to stop the flexing, the rib is not very high or wide.
Oh trust me I get it. I have been doing collision work for 30+ years, I have literally cut these things in half and put them back together. I might try it and see if it works, if it does I’m actually a FCA certified shop so I will submit the fix to Chrysler. Worst case I waste a $45 tube of foam. The foam Chrysler uses is pretty solid. The rockers of the Jeep are filled with it to help with load pathing collision damage.

TRZ

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, Ocean Blue
Oh trust me I get it. I have been doing collision work for 30+ years, I have literally cut these things in half and put them back together. I might try it and see if it works, if it does I’m actually a FCA certified shop so I will submit the fix to Chrysler. Worst case I waste a $45 tube of foam. The foam Chrysler uses is pretty solid. The rockers of the Jeep are filled with it to help with load pathing collision damage.
Interesting. I still think it makes a perfect stowage spot for a couple of moving blankets, solving 2 problems.

00Sebby

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ex-auto quality engr & mgt. Now just enjoy life.
I flattened a roll of heavy duty Bounty paper towels and put them up there. I never really noticed a buffeting sound but I can say it does sound quieter on the highway. Since I always keep a roll of Bounty towels in the Jeep for cleaning windows or other emergencies, that seems as good a place as any to store it.

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3 money pits: Turbo Busa, Road King, 22JLUR snazz
Occupation
Powerplant operator
@CarbonSteel

Thanks for the thread. I have a 2022 JLUR and immediately felt the flutter with all windows closed. $6 for the pool noodle and this was my fix. I have a snazzberry but if I find a white or black noodle I will change out the pieces.

3.5” tall is a snug fit and they are not going anywhere.

Jeep Wrangler JL JLUR 4 Door Hard Top Buffeting Fix 9D8BFABA-B7FE-462E-A332-360CDA0D5CD8

Sponsored

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@CarbonSteel

Thanks for the thread. I have a 2022 JLUR and immediately felt the flutter with all windows closed. $6 for the pool noodle and this was my fix. I have a snazzberry but if I find a white or black noodle I will change out the pieces.

3.5” tall is a snug fit and they are not going anywhere.

Jeep Wrangler JL JLUR 4 Door Hard Top Buffeting Fix 9D8BFABA-B7FE-462E-A332-360CDA0D5CD8
You are quite welcome. I am considering (when I swap tops in early summer) adding some stiffening ribs made of structural foam and fiberglassing them in to solve the problem permanently.

tumal

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
Is the buffeting something you hear or feel? I am not sure my JLU has the issue or I just haven’t noticed it yet.

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3 money pits: Turbo Busa, Road King, 22JLUR snazz
Occupation
Powerplant operator
Is the buffeting something you hear or feel? I am not sure my JLU has the issue or I just haven’t noticed it yet.
Ever roll down only one window while driving and notice the “whop whop whop” until you roll another window down? That is the feeling/sound with all windows rolled up between 35-45 mph. I would say it is more of a feel than a hearing sound.

tumal

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
Ok thanks for clearing that up for me. That was what I was am assuming. Luckily I haven’t had that happen…

Pinion

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 FJ40, 22 Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Project Manager
My 22 is doing the same thing. I remember seeing this thread though and I'm glad it popped back up.
Sponsored